NYC Seriously?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a ____ing moron. NYC is cool, but it can be over the top obnoxious as well.

So are they going to restrict the amount of smaller sodas you can buy?

"I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola!!!"

This kind of thing is always going to happen in a U.S-style democracy, because a large chunk of constituents of elected officials (the ones who vote and speak up) are going to want it. No matter how arbitrary or silly you might think it is, it's really just politicians doing what they perceive the public to want. Democracy and liberty are not always gonna co-exist on every issue. People like to be able to control others to their liking. And some people. . .like to be controlled themselves, whether they are willing to admit it to themselves or not.

They make way too much money bilking the tobacco companies to restrict it any more than it already is. Between taxes and the state lawsuits from the late 90's, they know they have too much to gain from people continuing to get sick and/or die.

I know, I just get a kick out of these lemmies that read this crap and then say "so McDonald's super size meals are the reason I'm fat and unhealthy?" as they're eating a large pizza by themselves, and then washing it down with a 2 liter of Diet Coke and smoking a cigarette.

Who drafts the laws? We even have elected judges in this country to interpret the laws. Law is the will of the people, as defined by elected representatives.

OMG NO 64 OZ BOTTLES OF CAFFEINE FREE DIET COKE!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE END OF DEMOCRACY AS WE KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!! :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Who drafts the laws?

College professors, subsidized by student loan programs. So long as the academics are intellectually and morally bankrupt, I suppose there is no way to prevent it. You can educate people beyond their highest levels of education, assuming that they have a mind left after their training is complete.

In the final analysis, when 'the people' use their elected officials to push things too far, there's always the original path to consider. Tree of liberty needs watering, after all...

Our legislators are all college professors? That's news to me. A good chunk of them are lawyers, for what that's worth. Actual legislation is frequently drafted in large part by special interest groups and. . .other lawyers :lol

If you think the Constitution needs to be ripped up and redrafted, then power to you.

The system is flawed, for sure. Still works better in the U.S. than it does most anywhere else, IMO. I do think some changes to the system of electing officials could potentially benefit us, but so long as voters are ignorant and short-sighted, there's only so much you can do.

Don't panic! Diet cokes are excluded from this law! :hi5:

:yess:...........................:dance.........................................:yess:

california.bmp

Our legislators are all college professors? That's news to me. A good chunk of them are lawyers, for what that's worth. Actual legislation is frequently drafted in large part by special interest groups and. . .other lawyers :lol

I suppose those lawyers were educated in some kind of not-a-college.

karamazov80 said:
If you think the Constitution needs to be ripped up and redrafted, then power to you.

Ripped up? Obeyed would be a nice start, but it wouldn't hurt to see the amendment process used to close the loopholes employed by those who do campaign to subvert it.

karamazov80 said:
The system is flawed, for sure. Still works better in the U.S. than it does most anywhere else, IMO.

That's not really saying much.

I suppose those lawyers were educated in some kind of not-a-college.
So you don't have faith in people to have independent thought beyond what they're taught by college professors, yet you do think all people should be given the freedom to do whatever they want without the government holding their hand?

Not sure I would want those kinds of mindless sheep running around in the streets, doing as they pleased with no restrictions except the law of the jungle.

That's not really saying much.
Be that as it may, there's nothing new under the sun. Everything's been tried somewhere at some time, and the vast majority of time, it fails. Because of the nature of man. If you've got a means of changing that, please let me know! Institutions have to be set up to best provide order while channeling/reflecting man's interests and base instincts. The U.S. does better than others.

I actually feel that it is perfectly OK for NYC to pass this legislation...

if that is what the people of NYC want.

I am in complete agreement with laws like this being kept at a local level. It, to me, is in perfect keeping with the intent of The Constitution...again...if that is what the people of NYC want.

Now, if the Federal Government was trying to impose this on the Nation...I would jump up and down and _____ and scream.

Irresponsible parents tried this ____ here in San Francisco when they attempted to sue McDonalds and get them to stop putting toys in Happy Meals, blaming the temptation of the toys for child obesity. Thankfully, and surprisingly (given how disgustingly liberal SF is), the presiding judge saw the bull____ for what it was and threw the case out.

So you don't have faith in people to have independent thought beyond what they're taught by college professors, yet you do think all people should be given the freedom to do whatever they want without the government holding their hand?

Anyone who passes laws like this is not an independently thinking human being; nor is anyone who accepts it.

I am not saying that a college education makes a student intellectually dependent. I am saying that the education that has been provided for the past 50 odd years makes students intellectually dependent, specifically in those areas where their professors have the most power to influence their psychologies on the philosophic (i.e., fundamental) level.

karamazov80 said:
Not sure I would want those kinds of mindless sheep running around in the streets, doing as they pleased with no restrictions except the law of the jungle.

And yet, they are governing your country.

Be that as it may, there's nothing new under the sun. Everything's been tried somewhere at some time, and the vast majority of time, it fails. Because of the nature of man. If you've got a means of changing that, please let me know! Institutions have to be set up to best provide order while channeling/reflecting man's interests and base instincts. The U.S. does better than others.

Man's nature is that of a rational animal. He has the choice to be irrational, and under certain social systems, that irrationality is rewarded. Under others, it is not.

There are two ways to destroy a system based on justice (i.e., one that rewards rationality). You can invade from without (Sparta murdered Athens and the Greek Golden Age) or you can subvert from within (Hegelian philosophy in the form of James and Dewey's pragmatism, as well as Keynes' interventionist economics, infecting post-Gilded Age America).

The only way to change it is through education. I don't know if there are enough Americans left with the minds to effect that kind of cultural revolution. In which case, no, I don't want them roaming my streets, or lording over me, and I don't because they cannot think for themselves.

The optimist in me says that if you set them free, they'll figure it out like they did the first time. The pessimist in me says that it's too late.

Irresponsible parents tried this ____ here in San Francisco when they attempted to sue McDonalds and get them to stop putting toys in Happy Meals, blaming the temptation of the toys for child obesity. Thankfully, and surprisingly (given how disgustingly liberal SF is), the presiding judge saw the bull____ for what it was and threw the case out.

I was under the impression that this was a law that was actually passed in San Francisco and still applies and that the law suit attempted to spread the ban to the entire state but was thrown out by a state judge in San Francisco.

Did I get that wrong?

Back