NO military/historical figures from SideShow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen again. SS started a great trend. Does anyone remember the
Toyfair unveiling of Live By The Sword and others? Only a few of those wonderful figures were produced. Sometimes Toyfair is not a gage when it comes to SS. Haven't seen anymore from Fife and Drum either.

Lol, I remember. I can still remember when I saw the prototypes of Sitting Bull. I flipped my lid. I was so happy. I think there was another company called Drastic Plastic that had their own version of Custer too. Unfortunately I was collecting WWI and missed out on Sitting Bull, Wyatt Earp, and Doc Holiday. Sideshow's "Live by the Sword" knights were cool looking but I didn't like the faux chainmail material. I think the Monty Python knights were the big test for this design. With dealers like Cotswold "EliteBrigade" selling figures in real chainmail, Sideshow just couldn't do it. Collectors wanted the real thing. Here are a few of my Cotswold Knights, in real "very heavy" chainmail.

ODToys066.jpg
ODToys065.jpg

ODToys064.jpg

I am very upset that Sideshow is not making any more military figures of past wars... The ww1 line was so awesome, they should make a ww2 collection, or even more ww1 figures.

I was also thinking a SAVING PRIVATE RYAN collection too, that would be awesome!

I wish they'd make some WW2 stuff(They did a great job on the John Wayne Pacific Marine) aswell as some Vietnam figures(They also did a great job on their Platoon figures).

meh, not really surprised, there getting out done by dragon ,DID ,hot toys, BBI and even ignite so its not that big a deal.

meh, not really surprised, there getting out done by dragon ,DID ,hot toys, BBI and even ignite so its not that big a deal.

Not really. Dragon used to be excellent back before 2006, but ever since then, they've been doing nothing but Germans(Very uninspired ones, at that). DID hasn't done that much in awhile now, same with BBI, and Hot Toys only does modern Military now, they only made 2 WW2 German figures and 2 Vietnam Navy Seal figures. Ignites figures aren't that bad, but most of them aren't good enough to outdo Sideshow either.

The 1/6th market is saturated with Military figures. Other than GI Joe, why would SS continue?
I could say the same about SS Star Wars figures(They're all over ebay at cheaper prices, and all over the web), that doesn't stop them from making more, does it?

I really don't consider GI-Joe to be 'military', more like action/fantasy BASED on military, than anything. To make a profit? Their military figures are near top-notch, and with Dragon producing figures so disappointing, noone literally has any interest in them, DID rarely making any, and BBI not producing anymore of them at all, I would think this would be the perfect opportunity for SS to swoop in and pick up the slack from these guys. As shown with their John Wayne Pacific Marine and Platoon figures(Both of which are big sellers), it shows that they can make some kickass WW2 and Vietnam figures enough to make a good profit off of them.

I don't think SSC was doing very well with military lines compared to Hollywood licences. I think the John Wayne figures did pretty well because they are John Wayne. It seems to me the one of those that did best as far as a quick sellout was the cavalry officer (Nathan Brittles) figure which isn't a 20th century military figure. I can still find both of the "Green Berets" figures at etailers.
And though they go for a premium price now, it took years for the first three Platoon figures to sell out and they had a crossover appeal as military and movie subjects.
Don't get me wrong, I wish they would do some more of the 1/6th WWI subjects. The two US AEF Inf. figures were the best in the line. And the "Captain Eddie" figure was aslo quite good. I expect they would have kept improving.
And I'd like to see the Six Gun Legends make a comeback also. It just seems to me SSC is kept pretty busy with the SW line as well as all the new import products, PF and statues etc.. I think for now military and historic subjects are orphaned.
On a positive note, the DiD Napoleanics are really very good. And Ignite may use a horrible base body, but they still produce some great historic subjects. There is still new and interesting stuff coming.

I would love to have the six gun legends series comeback. They did a great job on those figures. They were and still are some of my favorites. Wish I had picked multiples so I could kitbash different historical figures of the 1800's.

Not really. Dragon used to be excellent back before 2006, but ever since then, they've been doing nothing but Germans(Very uninspired ones, at that). DID hasn't done that much in awhile now, same with BBI, and Hot Toys only does modern Military now, they only made 2 WW2 German figures and 2 Vietnam Navy Seal figures. Ignites figures aren't that bad, but most of them aren't good enough to outdo Sideshow either.

Call me a streetbum, but I'm having trouble keeping up with current military releases as it is. Ignite makes some fine romans and crusaders, and now they're bringing out the quite originial French Guardsman, the Musketeer, and more to follow.
WW2 is more than sufficiently covered by DiD for now I think, with regular releases and a standard of quality that sideshow has never achieved with any figure. Not to mention the awesome napoleonics and samurai.
ACW is a bit tricky, either you go for the few BoA figures that are still pretty well available or you go for the more expensive Battlegeartoys stuff.
As for vietnam, well, there are opportunities, mainly from Toy Soldier, and while it does involve more hunting for parts and bashing of figures, the stuff is out there.
I do agree that I'd love to see someone pick up on WW1 and western legends, but I just can't see sideshow producing them or any other military figure up to standards. And why would they? They don't sell for *bleep*.

I do agree that I'd love to see someone pick up on WW1 and western legends,

yep theres a gap in the market there. im getting fed up with dragon constantly pooping out ww2 figures with recycled parts. quit ww2 move on to other eras

they need to make an audie murphy figure. i think the line they chose to go with first didnt appeal to the majority of collectors. i think they have things on hold for now. but i do believe all is not lost...

Honestly, SideShow has disapointed me. They left their original customers wondering what happened to all the historical figures and subjects such as ; LIVE BY THE SWORD, FIFE AND DRUM,BAYONETS AND BARBED WIRE, AND their CIVIL WAR figures.
We supported SideShow from the begining and thought SideShow would make a token offer to their historical base. John Wayne is fine, but only two releases for Live by the Sword(Vald the Impaler and Blackbeard) The subject matter for that line is endless.
Please SideShow, think about giving us something to give us some hope!

Thanks,

Brent

And Six Gun Legends. So many great possibilities there and dropped after only 5 figures. :confused:

I can`t believe there was no profit in these lines.

Back