NEXT Star Wars 1/6th Figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody, but wouldn't it be nice? IO know a few of us would get it regardless. Like the Hot Toys Tumbler, no one has the room but people are buying it.

Luis

It'd be a nice way to hurt Sideshow's business. I can only imagine the R&D, tooling, production, storage and shipping expenses for such a large item that practically no one would buy. I love SS, but HT they ain't. I can't recall them ever producing any large plastic vehicle like the Tumbler, Power Loader, or Batpod.

We *might* get a landspeeder, speeder bikes or taun tauns, but I wouldn't count on it.

Because 1:6 collectors are not, generally speaking, 1:1 collectors. Its way out of the price point SS tries to set for their 1:6 line.

Yup, just because people buy $3,000+ bronzes and 1:1 statues of SW characters doesn't say anything about the 1:6 market.

When I hear calls for Rancors and such I think of the idealistic few LotR fans who were calling for 1:6 Elven Archers, Rohirrim and Cave Trolls. :monkey2

The Jabba setup, while awesome and part of the SW juggernaut, was still difficult for SS to sell through. I doubt we'll see anything else to top it's size and scope.

You can't exclude price in your reasoning though. Most 1:6 are not going to spend what realistically would probably cost about $800.

I still say SSC should make a Rancor "PF" or maquette that happens to be close to 1/6th scale. I think they could do it and price it near $400 which I think would sell at least 500 units. Maybe it could be just 1/7 scale. 1/6th collectors could choose to pose figures with it, but it would be guised primarily as a higher end item.

Yeah, a large 1:6 statue would be doable. Wouldn't it still be about 3 feet in height? Thats still a lot higher than a standard PF and I still believe it would prolly cost around 600 - 800. So I dunno. :lol

Yeah. It depends if they hunch it over and stuff. It would definately be to expensive for me anyway.

If they did a roto plastic Rancor with little to no articulation, I figure they could get it in the $500-800 range. A solid cast Rancor is a joke. And at 1:6, he'd be what, 3 feet tall or so? SS should just turn their attention and resources to droids and such instead.

I am curious to how much this cyclops will run.

nycc091.jpg

I'm still shocked and impressed that NECA made the massive, electronic Balrog, and at a decent price too. He's in scale with the 6" figures, which are 1/12? Very, very impressive piece and one of my favs ever.

Lots of good info in today's Sideshow Q&A:

Q: Why were the aireators or mics on the Stormtrooper 12-inch Figure helmet changed? Now they just look like silver buttons. What happened? Also, what happened to the gloss on the armor or lack there-of?

A:The helmet went through several revisions in both the prototype and production processes, including the mics. The helmet was modified both for licensing approval reasons, and to satisfy tooling/engineering production requirements. We have received some feedback requesting that we increase the glossy finish on the Stormtroopers. It’s something we would like to do on any future production runs (ie: the previously mentioned ROTJ version, if it happens).

Q: Sideshow, can you produce more 12-inch figures of Jedi, such as A’Sharad Hett, Master Yoda, Roron Corobb and others? I’m a big fan of your Jedi figures. By the way, I can’t find any of your Kit Fisto and Mace Windu figures, and I will be really happy if you guys can reproduce those figures for a second run - is that possible?

A: There are definitely more Jedi coming in the 12-inch line, but they’re a little further down the road. Characters like Yoda and Roron Corobb will require some unique body designs, which is something that we’re doing a bit more exploration with in 2010. You can point to the previous Jabba figure as evidence that we can do any body type, but Jabba is fairly unique in his particular requirements for marrying articulation and aesthetics. Some of the alien characters require a bit more planning and experimentation, so that we can deliver them as quality 12-inch figures that fit within the line in terms of price, function, and appearance.

Q: Any chance we could see a Sideshow version of Anakin Skywalker’s apprentice Ahsoka Tano?

A: Clone Wars has absolutely blown us away. We’ve recently announced the Anakin VS Asajj Diorama, which was inspired in part by some of the early reference we received for Clone Wars, and in part by the Expanded Universe materials. We are planning to incorporate some Clone Wars characters into the 12-inch line, and we’ll be interpreting the CG designs to fit with the realistic style of the other figures (so that your display of Star Wars 12-inch Figures will have a consistent look). Ahsoka has turned out to be a very cool character - and she’s a character we’d like to include somewhere, someday. Thanks for the suggestion, it’s a good one!

Q: When you got the Star Wars 12-inch license one of the first things you did was the Expanded Universe poll. Over the last few years you’ve done Illum Padme, Asajj Ventress, General Kenobi and a ‘Force Unleashed’ Stormtrooper. With the exception of Ventress, all of these are variants of core movie characters. Do you plan to do more EU original characters in your Star Wars line? Mara Jade was a very close second in the poll, and I would love to see major EU characters like Jedi Knight Jacen and Jaina Solo, Quinlan Vos and Cade Skywalker!

A: We do have a soft spot for the EU characters, we admit it. We talk very fondly of Timothy Zahn’s works, when Star Wars novels provided the best, maybe the ONLY, way to experience new material in the SW universe. Our design team is also avidly following the Legacy series, and interesting tales like Star Wars: Visionaries.

Mara Jade is likely to appear sometime in the future in our Star Wars range, although she’s not in the 2009/2010 plans for the 12-inch line. However, there IS an announcement on the horizon that you’re likely to enjoy, although it’s not one of the characters that you specifically listed.

Q: Any chance you’ll ever make 1/6 scale Star Wars creatures? I would kill for a Sideshow Wampa and Tauntaun! And a Dewback or Bantha with real fur would be fantastic!

A: Not in 2009/2010, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility. Believe it or not, even the Rancor has been considered for 1:6 scale! They are figures that we would love to do, especially if they can be timed to complement other planned figures.

Q: Are you planning to release a 1:6 scale ‘Empire Strikes Back’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ versions of Vader? Now that the ‘New Hope’ Vader has been developed these seem like very quick ways to expand the line with minimal tooling.

A: Yes, Empire and Jedi versions of Vader do appear in our planning, but not in 2009. It would be ideal to reuse the Darth Vader body. Much of the armor will require new tooling - there are a fair number of changes between ANH and the other films, even if subtle.

Q: How about another fan poll for Star Wars? Bonus points if there some Expanded Universe characters like TFU apprentice. Also, how about a Clone Commander, especially Cody since we have Kenobi and Cody’s clone troopers (hopefully shipping soon).

A: We are likely to run new polls to help determine the interest in seeing certain Star Wars characters turned into products, like we’ve done for Darth Vader-centric dioramas. Clone Commanders will see some love in our Star Wars lines, including Commander Cody.

Back