New to collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,im sort of new to collectibles i have the resident evil neca line and the gears of war and a few resident evil palisades but getting back into it again.Will be getting the metal gear solid play arts kai ninja and solid snake when they are released.ive seen a few hot toys collectibles like the joker which do look fantastic but i can't pay £150 upwards for one collectible as i only have a regular job so can i ask is everyone rich who gets these hot toys collectibles?
i think for £15 neca does a good job with gears collectibles,i just can't justify the price of the hot toys can anyone explain why they are so expensive is it really just the detail?.

Yep, you have to pay for quality. If you stuck a HT figure next to a NECA figure you would see why these are so much. Sure most of them are still overpriced, but so are NECA's stuff and most other 'toys' right now.

I have two hobbies, I love cars and action figures. It gets really expensive. I smoke and drink. I have two kids and a mortgage. Three cars and a wife. I am the only one working and I have a gambling problem. I am not rich. I don't know how I manage? I guess that's why there's something called bankruptcy.

I have two hobbies, I love cars and action figures. It gets really expensive. I smoke and drink. I have two kids and a mortgage. Three cars and a wife. I am the only one working and I have a gambling problem. I am not rich. I don't know how I manage? I guess that's why there's something called bankruptcy.

:exactly::hi5:

I'm new to collecting too! I'm far from rich, just save up and look for good deals online... they spring up now and again if you are lucky!

Like the other day I managed to score a Hot Toys New Goblin for $120 (incl international shipping) off an ebay auction. :)

Dude go see the new film Young Adult, you may feel better about your own situation. great film, not going to say anything more, just see it.

I buy Hot Toys because they can be perfection at times. I am completely attached to my Resident Evil Alice but it's my Jack Sparrow that they did that will probably be the best figure I ever own! And it was $240. You have to buy what you love, and what you will be happy with spending.

Trust me, you buy a Hot Toys figure (even if 150 or more) and you get it in hand, you will understand where we are coming from.

Hot toys figs are pretty much the only thing I save up for. I only buy so many clothes per year and I never buy video games or anything like that. every time I get enough money to buy a HT fig I go ahead and spend it.

This is definitely a rich man's hobby. That being said, most of us are not rich. I am very lucky and and fairly well off but I still can't afford to buy every statue I want. I pick and choose the ones that I deem "must haves." I also sell stuff if I find that they don't interest me anymore which helps to fund new purchases. The quality is there though...hot toys and sideshow items are actually well worth the money if you think about what it would cost to make something like that on your own. Just try asking one if the talented customs sculptors in here. Save up for a hot toys and buy one...you will be hooked and not be able to go back to low end collectibles.

This is definitely a rich man's hobby. That being said, most of us are not rich. I am very lucky and and fairly well off but I still can't afford to buy every statue I want. I pick and choose the ones that I deem "must haves." I also sell stuff if I find that they don't interest me anymore which helps to fund new purchases. The quality is there though...hot toys and sideshow items are actually well worth the money if you think about what it would cost to make something like that on your own. Just try asking one if the talented customs sculptors in here. Save up for a hot toys and buy one...you will be hooked and not be able to go back to low end collectibles.

QFT

I started (figure-wise) with Neca and simply couldn't go back, but times are tough and HT are pricing themselves too high .so like sarakawa, i'm picking the must haves from now on.

It's certainly an expensive hobby, but you can't pick up ever Hot Toy figure that comes out...you need to be picky and always look for deals if you can.

I'm not rich but scalping has helped me fund my habbit. I don't go to walmart and buy up all the popular figures before anyone else can get them, that's wrong. a while ago the Silversnail was liquidating alot of sideshow lotr stuff and I bought a few and sold them on E-bay made 40-65 bucks depending on the piece and since I got them for soo cheap I was able to pass the discount on to the collectors.

bought the urak-hai berseker for $34 sold it for $99 made around $65 after e-bay fees. so I don't encourage u 2 rip people off but when the opportunity pops up, there's nothing wrong with making a mends share.

Im a student, so ofcourse im poor as ____ lol. Im newish to collecting, the trick is you have to be selective in figures. Like yourself im a Metal Gear fan so i mostly collect MS stuff.

Although next year is the 25th anniversary, im gonna be on a student overdraft to get stuff but ill be able to pay it back over the year.

about the prices, once you get a figure in your hand you'll see. Also these figure have a great after market value, so if you keep it in perfect condition and the box you'll at the very least get what you paid for it

Thanks for the advice everyone,has anyone bought a play arts kai metal gear figure? im propbably getting the 2 mgs1 figures which will set me back £120ish,how do people rate the play arts kai brand in terms of quaility? I know they have a wierd scale but i dont mind.

Back