New RPG from EA: The Lord of the Rings, The White Council

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetaWork

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm currently enjoying LOTR - Battle for Middle Earth 2 on the Xbox 360 but was pleasantly surprised to hear the following announcement from EA:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., July 13, 2006 – Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today the development of The Lord of the Rings™, The White Council™, an all-new role playing game (RPG) for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC. The game, inspired by the New Line Cinema feature film trilogy that grossed more than $3 billion, will feature an original storyline derived from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings novels under an agreement with EA. The game is scheduled to ship in late 2007.

“Our extremely talented and dedicated team is committed to creating an incredible new experience for fans of The Lord of the Rings and role playing gamers,” said Steve Gray, executive producer, The Lord of the Rings, The White Council. “With its next generation gameplay and epic new storyline, we think The Lord of the Rings, The White Council will be a huge success.”

Players have the freedom to explore the open world of Tolkien’s Middle-earth™ in The Lord of the Rings, The White Council. Players can choose their role as a man, an elf, a dwarf, or a hobbit. Each role’s destiny is to become a hero allied with the White Council, whose members include the famed characters Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, and Elrond.

A combination of stunning graphics and expansive environments, along with the freedom of movement demonstrates the innovation and quality of the next-generation RPG, where players can create their own adventures.

The Lord of the Rings, The White Council has not yet been rated by PEGI or USK. For more information about the game, please visit: www.whitecouncil.ea.com. For information about all of EA’s games, please visit EA’s press site at www.info.ea.com.

Not a huge fan of RPG's (other than the KOTOR's), but this may be one I have to pick up. Sounds like Elder Scrolls set in Middle Earth. My god how many hours could I waste with this game!!??

I'll get this for my 360. Sounds like a really good game and if it's like TA then I expect I'll dig it a lot. I would like another game where you can play as the characters from the Fellowship and play through the movie.:chew

I hope this is more like Elder Scrolls than Third Age. Third Age was fun, but you were stuck in the level you were playing, and you didn't have free access to roam around and explore. If this one is indeed more like Elder Scrolls, it will be the first EA LOTR game that lets you walk all around Middle Earth at your leisure, and that will be fun.

tomandshell said:
I hope this is more like Elder Scrolls than Third Age. Third Age was fun, but you were stuck in the level you were playing, and you didn't have free access to roam around and explore. If this one is indeed more like Elder Scrolls, it will be the first EA LOTR game that lets you walk all around Middle Earth at your leisure, and that will be fun.

That's what it sounds like it'll be. I can't even imagine how expansive this could be. Hopefully you don't have to walk from area to area though. I don't wanna spend a week getting from Rohan to Minas Tirith.

The only thing missing is the ability to be an Orc or Urakhai

Darth Loki said:
That's what it sounds like it'll be. I can't even imagine how expansive this could be. Hopefully you don't have to walk from area to area though. I don't wanna spend a week getting from Rohan to Minas Tirith.

The only thing missing is the ability to be an Orc or Urakhai

I like the "fast travel" system in ES: Oblivion. If you are in a hurry, you can go to your destination with one click, and it just automatically makes the appropriate amount of time pass (less if you are riding a horse). Sometimes I use it, sometimes I take the scenic route.

tomandshell said:
I like the "fast travel" system in ES: Oblivion. If you are in a hurry, you can go to your destination with one click, and it just automatically makes the appropriate amount of time pass (less if you are riding a horse). Sometimes I use it, sometimes I take the scenic route.

Haven't played Oblivion. Looks great but I just have a hard time getting into hure RPG's. I might be a little more willing with a LOTR back drop and races.

jlcmsu said:
That would be cool but I haven't figured out the fast travel yet.

Go to the map and move your cursor over a location. If you have previously discovered it (you've been there once before), you can select the green button and it will take you straight there.

But be careful if you are a vampire--you can fast travel and appear all of a sudden in the daylight, leaving you scrambling for cover.

tomandshell said:
Go to the map and move your cursor over a location. If you have previously discovered it (you've been there once before), you can select the green button and it will take you straight there.

But be careful if you are a vampire--you can fast travel and appear all of a sudden in the daylight, leaving you scrambling for cover.

lol!! i've never though of that. luckily im not a vampire. yeah if its more like elder scrolls and plays like KOTOR im definately gonna get it.

hairlesswookiee said:
lol!! i've never though of that. luckily im not a vampire. yeah if its more like elder scrolls and plays like KOTOR im definately gonna get it.

I was fighting a vampire in one of the quests and got infected, and didn't get myself cured in time. I spent a miserable several days playing the game as a vampire myself. It stinks because you can't go outside during the day, and with fast travelling you can end up at your destination when the sun is up. When you become a vampire, the longer you go without feeding (ick!), the more it enhances your abilities, but the more obvious you are to other characters. Nobody will buy or sell from you or even talk to you when your fangs are showing. But you can see in the dark, be temporarily invisible, and hypnotize/charm people. But it was a pain in the neck getting cured! (Pun intended.) The longest, most frustrating quest in the game so far has been getting all the ingredients for the vampire cure. I am very glad it's over, and now I make sure I am carrying some cure potion with me wherever I go.

this sounds interesting. if it's similar to games like baldur's gate or never winter nights then i'm more or less hooked.

I just bought Battle for Middle Earth for XBox 360 today. I hope it's worth it.

KitFisto said:
I just bought Battle for Middle Earth for XBox 360 today. I hope it's worth it.

Its a blast I got it on day one and have been playing through the campaign.

Its worth it.

Damn why they tempt me to buy another console i was happy with my gamecube but i think i must sell it, i dont play with it anymore and i want Battle for Middle Earth because my computer is sloooooow so.... i think ill sell it and get the xbox 360 :chew

Customikey said:
Am I the only one who really enjoyed LOTR: The Third Age (otherwise known as Adventures of the B-Team)?

No, I enjoyed it. In fact, the characters from that game are available as hero characters in "Battle for Middle Earth II." People who didn't play "Third Age" aren't going to know who they are.

Customikey said:
Am I the only one who really enjoyed LOTR: The Third Age (otherwise known as Adventures of the B-Team)?

I really enjoyed it as well. Not the best LOTR game but I thought it was pretty solid.

Back