New project 1/6 WED-15-ST68 (WED-15 Septoid Treadwell)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OT Freak

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK so I decided to continue with another Scratch built Droid. This time it's a WED-15 Septoid Treadwell seen in the Purchase of the Droids in ANH.
picture.php

I have been doing research and all pics make Hasbro's droid look too big. I then converted the 1:18 Hasbro droid to 1:6 and sure enough it does look too big. I then stood a SSC 12" figure next to it and it looks fine. Something just doesn't look right though. From my calculations it shows the base is 22.8 cm long and 15.9 wide. It's about 8-1/2 tall which that comes up to the chest of a SSC 12" figure and that's what the movie shows.

Does anyone have #'s from the real prop?

picture.php

As of 7/11/10 the WED Droid is 99% complete. More pics on page 6

picture.php

Last edited:
I have this guy on the list too, so I'll be looking close at this thread (to rip off your ideas of course:lol).

Cool choice!

This is gonna be cool.
I hope so

So what do you guys think of the scaled drawing I did? Does it look too big? If I put a 12" figure by it it looks fine, but something doesn't look right. Maybe it's because I have looking at it too long.

Steal my ideas, ask for my plans, buy my plans (LOL) I don't care this is what this site is about. If it wasn't for Mark I would still be figuring out the size of the GONK. So It will be a few days before the ABS rods show up for the arms. I'm starting there because if the arm don't work, well the Droid wont work. The base is a no brainer so it's all about the arm joints.

1st drawing of 1:18 scale converted to 1:6 scale. Turns out Hasbros version is too big to begin with.
picture.php

So I figured out the Droid needed to be reduced by 16% to be in the right scale. See below.

picture.php

Last edited:
Here's a prototype Arm made of ABS and a few Lego tec hinged links. They have full range of motion. I think they will work just fine and this is the route I will be taking. Now that this is figured out I will start the base.

picture.php

Last edited:
Great solution!
Thank you Sir.

I have been sick for the last few days and haven't felt like toying with this struff after work like I usually do. Just got the rest of the parts to start. So it should start to come together.

Does anyone have #'s from the real prop?

I don't even think they kept some of those droids around, all the pictures I have ever seen of them were from the film or around the set shots. I think the only way to figure out a good size would be to just make a paper version of the base and neck thing, and adjust it till it seems right.

They sure are. What's even cooler is they are made of ABS and that works well with Styrene.

It just so happens I found the parts in 2 auctions on E-bay. I knew I had the snake like arms at my parents house in the garage, but I would had to go through three 5 gallon buckets of Legos to find these parts.

I sell loads of Lego's on ebay constantly, but I tend to keep some of the Technic parts like the claws and ball joints and such for myself for future projects, so if there's any bits you may need in the future let me know.

I was going to ask, which Lego sets did these joints come in? I'm not at all familiar with Lego sets, so any info appreciated.

The droid is coming along amazingly cool. Can't wait to see more.

Sean

I was going to ask, which Lego sets did these joints come in? I'm not at all familiar with Lego sets, so any info appreciated.

The droid is coming along amazingly cool. Can't wait to see more.

Sean

The lower joint that connects the arm to the base is from a Lego Tech set. I think it's off a Truck. The seller had nothing but engine, suspension and steering parts.

The upper elbow joint is usually from Lego Space sets. At least that's where they came from when I was a kid 20 years ago. :D

Believe me I don't know much anymore because Lego has a ton of special parts and I was used to just a had full of different parts.

I wont be using anymore Lego on this project. I just need to figure out what to do for the wheels and tank tread. I think I will just make it static and non working.

Back