NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the goofy looking thigh armor, I think it looks pretty good. If they discount the EX, I might pick it up. I gotta be really picky with direct preorders from Sideshow because CA 9% sales tax sucks.

It's a sub-species - Predatorius Leopardius.

Better known as the "Polish dancer" OR "Paintball" Predator.

2017-12-16_Polish_Pred.jpg

I hate the bottom two mandibles because they look like they are stuck together, which I am sure they are... Would not bother me as much if they looked like individual pieces...

But like I said.. The masked look looks good and not bobble headed at all in that video.

Other than the goofy looking thigh armor, I think it looks pretty good. If they discount the EX, I might pick it up. I gotta be really picky with direct preorders from Sideshow because CA 9% sales tax sucks.

I was feeling the same way with the armor, more impressed with with the unboxing than I thought though... I would love to have a jungle hunter in my collection but still torn. I'm loving the new p1 dog alien as well but defiantly can't justify both at this time. might wait to see if a 1/3 pred version pops up in the future. And speaking of taxes try being a collector in Canada right now... Painful:(

I was feeling the same way with the armor, more impressed with with the unboxing than I thought though... I would love to have a jungle hunter in my collection but still torn. I'm loving the new p1 dog alien as well but defiantly can't justify both at this time. might wait to see if a 1/3 pred version pops up in the future. And speaking of taxes try being a collector in Canada right now... Painful:(

If you can only get 1 of them - go for PRIME 1's Dog Alien - no question there. Then wait for PRIME's Jungle Hunter.

Canadian taxes - yeah - with the added import duty it's up to 18.5% total in BC. Add in the shipping and the crappy exchange rate and :gah:

It's his opinion bro. Not everyone will feel the same on a piece. Personally, I agree with him. I've seen it in person and the original Maquette was amazing as far as details, sculpt & paint were concerned, but I never cared for the pose. It always looked like it was about to fall over to me. I prefer the pose on the new one, but some people don't like it which is fine.

The original Maquette was made with SWS, so this was never going to look as good as that as far as accuracy goes, and we all know Sideshow's 'old school' pieces are better in quality in comparison to today's pieces. I would imagine the rise in production costs will have something to do with that. For that reason, I never expected this to look as good as the old one, unless SWS was involved again.

Anyway, this comparison between the 2 Maquettes has been done to death already, so there's little point in discussing it again. I wouldn't imagine anyone who owns the original SWS Maquette would bother with this, and if I owned that I probably wouldn't get this one either, but for those of us who don't own it and don't feel like paying $3000+ on the aftermarket for one, this is a nice alternative IMO.

Hey bud, to each their own, I am not putting the guy down. He knew that. But you have to keep in mind the price for this is insane and the quality went down not up. But if you guys like it thats cool, my whole problem well not problem but fuss was that you guys don't like the old piece this is a grail how can you complain on it the pose is from such a great scene in the movie. Everyone that owns it pretty much loves it. But its all good. But honestly, that new piece has no life to the statue. He is just standing their. Anyways, what makes this world so great is that we are all different and have different opinions makes for good conversation dawg!!!

If you can only get 1 of them - go for PRIME 1's Dog Alien - no question there. Then wait for PRIME's Jungle Hunter.

Canadian taxes - yeah - with the added import duty it's up to 18.5% total in BC. Add in the shipping and the crappy exchange rate and :gah:

I am 95% in agreement but something keeps me thinking this pred might turn out nice... Fingers crossed for all those that have ordered.

It's a sub-species - Predatorius Leopardius.

Better known as the "Polish dancer" OR "Paintball" Predator.

2017-12-16_Polish_Pred.jpg

Wow spike you put things in perspective with this piece lol!!! Sometimes I don't see the flaws in statues but you can very well see it in this!

Spike's side by side comparison really shows flaws. Why are the gums so white? Where is all of the orange/brown detailing? Where is the gloss? I assume the lower mandibles are stuck together for manufacturing purposes. I'm still on the fence, but seriously Sideshow, how can you **** up recreating something that there are quality detail photos of?

in defense to SS, which I almost never say, there are maybe a handful of painters in the world who could really knock a movie accurate Pred paint job out of the park. It could look much worse lol. If the sculpt was more accurate, it would make up for any paint app disappointments.

Hot Toys Predators look better.

I prefer the NECA's - but I get your meaning.

Speaking of which - I opened my Ultimate Jungle Hunter 7" last week (Birthday pressy) - WAY more impressed with that (and the Ultimate City Hunter 7") than this Sideshow piece.

The sad/fail just oozes out of the maquette - what a terrible waste of effort & talent - SMH.

It’s his cousin so his color is different, the end!!

I still like it no matter what. I’d not know the color diff if not for the side by sides put up spoilers alerts lol

I just like it for what it is not dislike it for what it isn’t.

To those who pre-ordered this, can you please post what they are charging for shipping? I'm curious.

And yeah, Hot Toys and NECA do great with Preds on a smaller scale and at a fraction of the cost no less, so I am not buying that only a few people in the world can paint this.

Hey bud, to each their own, I am not putting the guy down. He knew that. But you have to keep in mind the price for this is insane and the quality went down not up. But if you guys like it thats cool, my whole problem well not problem but fuss was that you guys don't like the old piece this is a grail how can you complain on it the pose is from such a great scene in the movie. Everyone that owns it pretty much loves it. But its all good. But honestly, that new piece has no life to the statue. He is just standing their. Anyways, what makes this world so great is that we are all different and have different opinions makes for good conversation dawg!!!

Fair enough dude. I wouldn't really say the price is insane. Its about in-line with their pricing for other large scale stuff they sell really.

Pricing has gone up across the board due to inflation, not because product is supposed to be better. The old Maquette came out in 2009. It would be unrealistic to expect a new Maquette at the same price point 8 years later.

Anyway, no one has this in hand yet, so we cannot speak of the quality. Accuracy and quality are 2 different things. It's possible to make a nice quality statue that is lacking in screen accuracy. In saying that, we aren't going to be getting the same quality as old school pieces at the current price point. It was a different time then.

As for my complaints about the old piece, it shouldn't bother you bro. As you said yourself, to each their own, so the only thing that should matter is that you like it. Over the last few pages people have been crapping on this statue as per usual, but it doesn't bother me as I still like it.

Not everyone will have the same feelings towards a piece. I didn't say the old Maquette was terrible and I'd love to own it for a reasonable price, but my issue with the pose was that he looks like he's about to fall over. There is a bit of a lean to the statue due to the way he's posed. Some have it worse than others, and it bugs me. Some are not so bad, but some have quite a noticeable lean.

The new piece is actually a pose from the movie as well...when he comes out of the water and stalks Arnie. It's subtle, but definitely has life to it. My main reason for preferring the pose is that I want to pair it with the Dutch PF, and I think this new Maquette makes a better pairing due to the way it's posed.

End of the day, I would be happy with either Maquette, but given the current value of the old Maquette, it's a no brainer for me to get the new one as it's far cheaper.

I prefer the NECA's - but I get your meaning.

Speaking of which - I opened my Ultimate Jungle Hunter 7" last week (Birthday pressy) - WAY more impressed with that (and the Ultimate City Hunter 7") than this Sideshow piece.

The sad/fail just oozes out of the maquette - what a terrible waste of effort & talent - SMH.

You mean this thing?

1200w-Ultimate-Jungle-Hunter1-.jpg

To those who pre-ordered this, can you please post what they are charging for shipping? I'm curious.

And yeah, Hot Toys and NECA do great with Preds on a smaller scale and at a fraction of the cost no less, so I am not buying that only a few people in the world can paint this.

uhhhhh....that's not what my post says.

Back