Statue New LOTR Maquette Line Announced!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then why should I buy these now, when in a couple of years, Weta or SS or someone else will just put out another line, dropping the value of all of this new line.

Of course then, if I wait it out and others do the same, the line gets dropped due to poor sales. At what point is enough, ie how many Aragorns do you want, across how many lines.

Original SSW, including statues and busts
SS PF's, Dio's, LSB's and now statues
Weta's new LOTR line, 'mini' characters said to be coming, along with new environments and various other lines, like the mini shields.
Then of course you got Weta's John Howe line

So if it keeps going, it's not a case of investment, it becomes a case of, why buy now, the next 'batch' will just drop the price of the new line, so I'll wait and buy then, if anything good is produced.

I want two. A PF that looks like Viggo, and a polystone statue that looks like Viggo......mission accomplished!

I'd say it becomes a case of collect the lines you like, ignore the one's you don't. Like I said before, the more options we as consumers have, the better off we will be in the long run. Just ask someone who paid a fortune for a SSW Aragorn because they wanted an Aragorn in their collection and had nowhere else to turn how they feel about having a limited selection to choose from.........

Very Cool! Always glad to see some LOTR love. As with any LOTR line I'm always tempted to get a few pieces to add to the collection. I will be curious to see with them saying this line will be big just what we will see and will we see creatures like The Balrog, Cave Troll, Sauron, Etc.

When I worked in an art gallery years ago the question I was asked more than any other was which piece of art or which artist's work will be a better investment in the long run. I always gave the same answer, buy something that you love and don't worry about anything else because there is no guarantee that it will go up in value, or even hold it's initial value years from now.

Not quite at the same scale, but when I worked in a comic shop, people always asked what would retain value as an investment. It is a bad question. Buy something if it holds value to you, and enjoy it for the intrinsic value that you ascribe to it. If you like something as a story or a piece of art, then purchase it for the value that you see in it. Some people will look at a comic book and not think the story is worth $3.50 or a statue is not worth the $150.00 price point based on the sculpt or paint job.

If you enjoy something for the purchase price of the item, and down the road it has a resale value, then it is a better win, but you didn't enjoy it less when it wasn't worth as much. Collecting as investing can be a headache and lead to a lot of disappointment, so I would recommend avoiding it!!

I agree. I buy what I like and if it goes up great if not well that happens. I tried to do things the other way with sports cards and lots of this stuff and it didn't work out so well for me.

I'm hoping to see characters that haven't been done yet.

Hopefully we'll finally get a full figure "Treebeard". In 1/6ths scale, it would put it at around 24" tall or so. Not too bad. About the size of a PF.

Elven warrior, Fountain guard, Gollum/Smeagol, etc...

While I would hope to see a Gollum/Smeagol in the PF line, I really hope that the maquette line can deliver on Gondorian rangers, fountain guards, easterlings, a wider variety of orcs, etc...

Hopefully we'll finally get a full figure "Treebeard". In 1/6ths scale, it would put it at around 24" tall or so. Not too bad. About the size of a PF.

A Treebeard would be great, but I think you are underestimating the size just a bit. Tolkien described him as being "at least 14 feet tall", and if I remember correctly from the supplements on the DVD, the movie version was portrayed as roughly that height.

As a 1/6th scale maquette, that would be about 28 inches tall, not including the base. After adding that in, it would probably be 30-31" tall. Very doable, but quite a bit taller than most PFs (at least the ones I have), which are typically around 20-21 inches tall, including the base. Some people might have display issues with something that tall.

They could still do Treebeard 1/6th from lets say waist up w/ Merry and Pippin.

How fragile would these be? I'm thinking of broken arrows/handels/bows etc...

I agree that I could care less about the downgraded "value" of Weta's line, if there is one. Your Weta Aragorn no longer worth $800? Good, maybe that'll allow newcomers to get one. These things aren't the stock market, they're meant to be in the hands of fans. And as mentioned before, this line has plenty of room to be superior to Weta's in almost every way. Its not market saturation when the original line is nearly impossible to collect.

A 1/6th Treebeard might be too large, but I could definitely see a 1/6th Cave Troll or (my personal fav) Armored Mordor Battle Troll shaking out to about the size of the PF Hulk.

I hope they tackle all the trolls that WETA had in their bust line. Gotta agree about the Mordor Battle troll! :rock

I agree that I could care less about the downgraded "value" of Weta's line, if there is one. Your Weta Aragorn no longer worth $800? Good, maybe that'll allow newcomers to get one. These things aren't the stock market, they're meant to be in the hands of fans. And as mentioned before, this line has plenty of room to be superior to Weta's in almost every way. Its not market saturation when the original line is nearly impossible to collect.
A 1/6th Treebeard might be too large, but I could definitely see a 1/6th Cave Troll or (my personal fav) Armored Mordor Battle Troll shaking out to about the size of the PF Hulk.

QFT :lecture

I just hope the bases don't look too gaudy. If I remember right in the video they look like they were pillared or something along that manner. I really wish they could just do an environment with the character like the dino line. I hope there are no nameplates associated with these.

Please, let's not turn this into a debate about what makes one a "true collector". Some people don't care about value, some do. Whichever opinion you hold, it doesn't make you right, and someone who disagrees wrong.

Please, let's not turn this into a debate about what makes one a "true collector". Some people don't care about value, some do. Whichever opinion you hold, it doesn't make you right, and someone who disagrees wrong.

Too true, we all collect for different reasons!

Certainly not intending to be antagonistic about the issue, everything said is certainly only my opinion. Still, its a moot point imo. Unless SS is reissuing the Weta sculpts, saying this line shouldn't exist because it would devalue the Weta line is really stretching the boundries of reasonable. (Not that anyone has said it)

Do you enjoy taking things out of context? :confused: Who, other than you that is, is talking about what constitutes a "true collector". Perhaps a course in remedial reading might be in order. :rolleyes:

Back