New Galadriel in podcast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Galadriel LSB?

You can't be wrong about an opinion.

Unless your opinion differs from Josh's. :rolleyes:

Oh I'd say there are a few people on this board who think their opinions are facts.

:lol

But seriously guys, lets wait and see some more pictures, perhaps she won't look as bad to some. To me she looks fine, but then again, I just watched a LOTR marathon so that might be clouding my judgement.:lol

:lol

But seriously guys, lets wait and see some more pictures, perhaps she won't look as bad to some. To me she looks fine, but then again, I just watched a LOTR marathon so that might be clouding my judgement.:lol

I'm in the middle of mine. Halfway through ROTK to be exact. This pic appears to be that female PF we've heard about. I'm still just scratching my head as to why they would do the hair like that. :confused:

I will agree that based on this one crappy pic, the sculpt looks pretty good and you can clearly tell who the character is. But that hair is a deal killer.

I actually like the hair, it's the face that im not liking so much. Like i said, imo if they did gandalf's beard with this kind of hair, it would have turned out way better.

I actually like the hair, it's the face that im not liking so much. Like i said, imo if they did gandalf's beard with this kind of hair, it would have turned out way better.

I understand what your saying, but it would've had to be rooted. I don't know that you can root hair in polystone.

Galadriel's is secured below what appears to be the top of her hair (don't know how it's secured though)

I agree. They just need to match the color a little closer. I also think this is going to look alot more like Cate when seen in three dimensions.
I don't think this photo placed in the podcast in such a way was a mistake either, SS may have very well thrown it out to put out feelers on the mixed hair.

I did vote for Galadriel in the LOTR Babe poll and I will be getting this one!

Oh man, this isn't gonna be another "let's see who's right, Josh or the rest?"-threads, is it? Let's continue on topic please!! :monkey2

Btw, this isn't directed to Josh only, just think it's a useless discussion, is all.

It won't I've said my peace and placed folks on ignore so I can just go about my merry way. :)

galadiv5.jpg

As we continue to stay on topic, let's get a better quality version of the image:

galadrielhi8.jpg

Looking at the level of detail in the costume, and the scale of the hair (too thin for 1/6 scale), I am going to guess that this is a preview of the female PF that we have been hearing about. That's where I am going to land in this debate. The whole approach to the head, with multiple pieces, etc., seems too complex for a 12" figure. And the mixed media means it's not an LSB.

Tom,

Do you like the sculpted with the rooted? I think if it was all one or the other it would look ok, but half/half looks pretty bad.

As we continue to stay on topic, let's get a better quality version of the image:

galadrielhi8.jpg

Looking at the level of detail in the costume, and the scale of the hair (too thin for 1/6 scale), I am going to guess that this is a preview of the female PF that we have been hearing about. That's where I am going to land in this debate. The whole approach to the head, with multiple pieces, etc., seems too complex for a 12" figure. And the mixed media means it's not an LSB.

I agree 100% with everything you said (even said it earlier in a post that got deleted :rolleyes:)

Based on all that, I'm under the assumption that this is a preview pic of the next PF. I'm still 100% behind the fact that I hate the mixed media hair. It looks like she used a ton of gel to flatten the hair on top of her head but let some fall down nice and natural. I just don't understand the decision to go that route.

And let me reiterate, even by that one pic, it's a good sculpt and the costume looks to be amazing.

Just remember that we're not seeing the piece as it was intended. Galadriel wears her hood in the scene, perhaps she's supposed to have the hood up? I imagine that seeing it in person you wouldn't look twice at the how the hair is done.

Just remember that we're not seeing the piece as it was intended. Galadriel wears her hood in the scene, perhaps she's supposed to have the hood up? I imagine that seeing it in person you wouldn't look twice at the how the hair is done.

I see your point there but I don't personally don't like leaving the hoods up on these because it hides so much of the sculpt (like the Obi PF or Maul 1:1).

If that were the case why release this as the teaser pic?

Tom,

Do you like the sculpted with the rooted? I think if it was all one or the other it would look ok, but half/half looks pretty bad.

Long hair is a tough challenge. Any time you sculpt a separate hair piece that is glued on top of the skull, you run the risk of it not fitting snugly or lining up properly, and it becomes distracting. If you go with long sculpted hair--and I think this would be the longest sculpted hair I can recall seeing Sideshow attempt--you are asking for trouble. I believe they had some challenges with the Buffy PF, and that hair was nowhere near as long as this. I'm also not sure how they could possibly do true rooted hair on a polystone portrait--that seems impossible. In theory, I think they came up with a reasonable solution--the challenge is that the color and texture of the sculpted and real hair would have to be a perfect match. If the sculpted section seen in the image was a few shades lighter, the illusion might be more successful. Also, it's going to be tough to attach the real hair and then glue the sculpted piece on top and not have it look like her scalp is floating strangely above the top of her head.

If they can do it without a noticeable gap, and if they can precisely match the color, then I personally think it has a chance of working. They had a big challenge to tackle with the hair on this piece in 1/4 scale, and limited options. I was skeptical about Princess Leia's real hair eyelashes, but they got that to work. Real hair could add a level of realism if done properly, but going half and half means they have to work really hard to pull it off. If sucessful, I think it could look better and more realistic than a pile of spaghetti, as previously mentioned.

But this is all speculation at this point. We need to wait until we get an official announcement and real pictures.

Another long haired female PF:

7121_image04.jpg

Just got lucky in that she was wearing a hat.

Does anybody think Elektra would look better with a big chunk of sculpted hair? Not when it's meant to be so long and thin.

I sculpt dolls from Super Sculpey and have to use attached hair -- "rooted" hair would be impossible. Its probably the same with polystone and they are trying to combine the two styles in the best possible way. I think this is the best way since the clothes are fabric and long, long sculpted hair just would not work.

I expect it will look a lot better than the majority seem to think. I know I won't be able to pass this one up.

Arwen would have been great, but Galadriel will fit in better when the Hobbit figures start....

But this is all speculation at this point. We need to wait until we get an official announcement and real pictures.

I certainly agree with that. But there are several characters with long hair in this line. Will they all have the same half and half? Arwen, Saruman, Elrond all pop to mind right away but I'm sure there are more.

Back