New Custom SALLAH Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my Rhett! Just need to finish up now....

I'm having a bit of a conundrum with the paint though. I PMd Boot and he said he'd be happy to paint Sallah up for me, which is great.... but, I'm really wanting to get better painting heads on my own. I'll post some pics of an Indy head I did this weekend tonight so I can get some feedback. While I'm not thinking I'm all that good I do think I'm getting better. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

"Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt....." --Tarman

scary_tarman.jpg

That's some great work on the Sallah head. Just curious - how difficult is it to work at 1:6 scale ? I'd be tempted to create a 2-up and scale it using Hydroshrink or similar.

Well, the new dye seemed to work on my Sallah. The color is now more of a muted tan/gray mix. Painted another round on the sash as well to bring out a little more color.

Can't take decent pics of the final because it's been raining the last three days in Los Angeles -- strange after 113 degree heat a week ago. 80's again by the weekend. Weird!

Someone asked about tying the sash or not -- it does not appear tied in the movie, just wrapped around his waist and the end tucked in somewhere so it appears more like a cumberbund.

Well, the new dye seemed to work on my Sallah. The color is now more of a muted tan/gray mix. Painted another round on the sash as well to bring out a little more color.

Can't take decent pics of the final because it's been raining the last three days in Los Angeles -- strange after 113 degree heat a week ago. 80's again by the weekend. Weird!

Someone asked about tying the sash or not -- it does not appear tied in the movie, just wrapped around his waist and the end tucked in somewhere so it appears more like a cumberbund.

What was your die combo for the shirt and skirt?

What was your die combo for the shirt and skirt?

I had a helluva time. My intention was to use taupe RIT dye. But I had very little so I ended up mixing in dashes of yellow and brown and gray. All guess-work. It came out (once dry) too flesh/pink colored so I gave it a quick dip a day later in straight pearl gray (too mutt the pink and cool the color off). Seemed to work out OK.

Truth be told, I might even do one more quick dunk into the gray again -- still seems a bit too warm (meaning too much tan/pink in there).

If you do it, I recommend heavy taupe, see how watm it looks once dry, and then if you need to cool it off a quick dip in pearl gray.

It's been raining down there? Crappy... It's been pretty nice up here in the Bay Area.

Update: I've got everything in hand now. Just need to work on the vest and either paint the head or send it off to be painted.

Did you guys remove the buttons on the Rhett vest? Not the snaps, which of course come off, but the little white buttons?

Got kind of a noob question for you guys ... I'm in the midst of my first bunch of customs (Sallah, Detrich, bar Marion, Marcus) and I'm having an issue ...

I'm mostly using Pro bodies as they're relatively inexpensive and look fine for my purposes. But for a few of the figures I'd like to use boots and shoes that are designed like real footwear. Meaning, they're hollow and require the bodies to actually have feet to slip into them.

So my question is ... where do I get feet that will fit Pro bodies?

I've checked Toy Anxiety and eBay and I'm coming up pretty empty thus far. Most Pro feet seem to be sculpted shoes with pegs.

:dunno

Any thoughts?

Well, to my knowledge Cobra Commander might be the only Pro figure that has come with feet thus far so that's one option.

Here's what I do.... I boil and pop the feet off spare Buck bodies that I have laying around and then I put those on the ankle adapters that I removed from the boots that originally came with that Pro body. Seems to be the easiest solution... Now, do you have spare Buck bodies or even the ankle adapters for that matter?

Well, to my knowledge Cobra Commander might be the only Pro figure that has come with feet thus far so that's one option.

Here's what I do.... I boil and pop the feet off spare Buck bodies that I have laying around and then I put those on the ankle adapters that I removed from the boots that originally came with that Pro body. Seems to be the easiest solution... Now, do you have spare Buck bodies or even the ankle adapters for that matter?

Thanks so much, for the answer!

Sadly, I have no Bucks nor any ankle adapters. I've been buying Pros (minus the heads, hands and feet) for these projects.

I'll just bite the bullet and buy the pair of Cobra Commander feet I saw on eBay. (They were a little pricey, but it sounds like the easiest answer.)

Thanks again!

NP Bucky. When you do future customs it might be easier to get a basic body that comes with feet, etc. You don't need a True Type, which are nice but can be a little expensive, but a Soldier Story or Saturday Toys body or whatever would do just fine. I'm using a basic Buck body for Sallah myself. He's really not all that dynamic a character as far as posses are concerned.

NP Bucky. When you do future customs it might be easier to get a basic body that comes with feet, etc. You don't need a True Type, which are nice but can be a little expensive, but a Soldier Story or Saturday Toys body or whatever would do just fine. I'm using a basic Buck body for Sallah myself. He's really not all that dynamic a character as far as posses are concerned.

Lesson = Learned! :slap

Thanks again for the advice!

Back