new collector of hot toys need suggestions/direction

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you're not buying anything just because its rare. Collect only from movies you are genuinely interested in and have a desire to own figures from.

Sorry I didn't explain myself well but I meant I was buying the rare ones of movie licenses I like and characters I want to collect. Blade and 300 are two of my favorites but wow I was shocked at cost. So to rephrase is it better to buy the rare figures u really want now/first before price goes any higher and then move onto current releases

I used to collect the vintage Star Wars figures, then found Sideshows Bespin Luke then moved to Hot Toys. Collecting can have a toll, even customs. I thank god I get bills sometimes, it makes me realize I gotta slow down and focus.

That being said, I still spend a portion of my check on these things!
:lol

Wouldn't they have released 2.0 versions of them by now if they were planning on doing so. I mean look how many iron mans and batman versions have been released since blade and leo

I don't see why they'd release 2.0s of Blade and Leonidas. True they seem to be aware of whats commanding high prices on the aftermarket but they pick only the really mainstream characters to do 2.0s on - particularly where new films keep coming to maintain the hype.

Wouldn't they have released 2.0 versions of them by now if they were planning on doing so. I mean look how many iron mans and batman versions have been released since blade and leo

Leo in all likelihood won't be touched again.

Blade may possibly be re-released as simply a Blade figure rather than a Blade II figure, but it's still pretty unlikely. I thought it was likely at one point until it was pointed out to me that it's a very niche figure whose current aftermarket value won't necessarily translate in renewed customer interest as a brand new figure.

Ya its crazy blade of all comic book characters would command such a high current value. I thought it was a niche character and would expect superman reeves to be way more but sideshow keeps putting the superman in stock so supply must be high. Blade just me really low in terms of production and supply.

Definitely pick a theme and stick to it. There is too much amazing stuff ....even if money is no object, you can end up with an absolute ton of boxes and nowhere to put anything.

And: "Anything Marvel" is not a theme :D

I think I'm down to Indiana Jones and Bruce Lee now....and statues only now...and nothing below 1/4 scale... :D

And I think the best advice I ever saw on this board is this:

Just because something is great doesn't mean you need to own it. You can appreciate the pictures others post here without needing to buy it yourself

Always keeping that in mind can stop you making bizarre posts like:
"I don't even like movie or the character but that figure is spot on! I just had to get it" :D :D

Maybe its just the twighlight craze for anything and everything vampire! Haha. But to be real blade was a sick movie just can't believe he is in such high demand. The scuplt is badass though And anyone who appreciates art will appreciate it fan or not. Then again its not like the godfather who everybody knows and loves.

"I don't even like movie or the character but that figure is spot on! I just had to get it" :D :D

That pretty much sums up why I bought Leo. I still haven't seen the movie :lol

...mind you, I bought him at MSRP, when life was simpler.

Definitely pick a theme and stick to it. There is too much amazing stuff ....even if money is no object, you can end up with an absolute ton of boxes and nowhere to put anything.

I think I'm down to Indiana Jones and Bruce Lee now....and statues only now...and nothing below 1/4 scale... :D

Just because something is great doesn't mean you need to own it. You can appreciate the pictures others post here without needing to buy it yourself

Not only do I hear what your saying but I feel it too. In a short time period I got hooked on these things. I never used drugs my whole life (well excluding booze) and I buy one of these get it in hand and now cannot stop. I have heard that u can shoot heroin one time and become addicted, well buy one hot toy and it has same effect. Only problem is heroin I believe is cheaper!!

That pretty much sums up why I bought Leo. I still haven't seen the movie :lol

...mind you, I bought him at MSRP, when life was simpler.

lulz :slap:thud::rotfl

Not only do I hear what your saying but I feel it too. In a short time period I got hooked on these things. I never used drugs my whole life (well excluding booze) and I buy one of these get it in hand and now cannot stop. I have heard that u can shoot heroin one time and become addicted, well buy one hot toy and it has same effect. Only problem is heroin I believe is cheaper!!

If you've been on this site for any amount of time you'll see its not uncommon for new people to make posts about buying one figure and then going on a binge and spending obscene amounts in their first month or so buying everything on ebay regardless of price :D

Its happened to us all I think to some degree.

The other thing that happens easily is (and I've done this definitely....) you justify buying what you may not have previously because well, you're not 'one of those guys with 50 different figures' and buying the 10th or 15th one suddenly seems like you're being quite conservative by comparison :D :slap

Sometimes you do just get caught and your favorite things all come out at the same time ....if Avengers really is your must have then you're going to be feeling the wallet pain for a while...

I try to compare the hot new topics with my all time favorites. Am I going to care about Avengers or Nolan's Dark Knight in 5 years the way I'm still obsessed about Indy and Bruce Lee ? Hell no ...so I can probably live without spending on them and then looking at them in a few years going, why did I buy these again? :D

[b]Just because something is great doesn't mean you need to own it. You can appreciate the pictures others post here without needing to buy it yourself [/b]

:exactly::goodpost:

In a short time period I got hooked on these things. I never used drugs my whole life (well excluding booze) and I buy one of these get it in hand and now cannot stop.

All too true, eh? :clap

High-end designer toys have become art.

Like high-end art, they can be(come) very expensive, but--as art collectors know -they can also become investments with the potential of a high return.
They can also become yesterday's hype.

Lejuan has guided this thread. :bow

Lejuan's advice is more than sound. (An island of sanity, if you will.)

Don't buy for investment. Buy what you desire . . . whatever fires you up.
These items are (more or less) cranked out of plastic-injected molds.
They are (in essence) mass produced.

Their value lies in the eyes of their beholder (and thus the collective eyes of the market).

Budget, scrutinize, and weigh your options . . . no one can collect everything in their heart's desire.

Above all have fun, and remember that there is more to life than mere material objects.
:peace
_____

All too true, eh? :clap

High-end designer toys have become art.

Like high-end art, they can be(come) very expensive, but--as art collectors know -they can also become investments with the potential of a high return.
They can also become yesterday's hype.

Don't buy for investment. Buy what you desire . . . whatever fires you up.
These items are (more or less) cranked out of plastic-injected molds.
They are (in essence) mass produced.

Their value lies in the eyes of their beholder (and thus the collective eyes of the market).

Budget, scrutinize, and weigh your options . . . no one can collect everything in their heart's desire.

Above all have fun, and remember that there is more to life than mere material objects.
:peace
_____

Great post. Ya I think part of the problem is that as of now these item hold value well which makes the sickness/mental justification of the purchases worst. U tell urself " well if I really needed the money I can sell them latter". So in a way there almost the same as holding money due to the loss in purchasing power of the dollar caused by inflation (that is unless u invest money and are earning a return that's greater then the inflation rate).. Plus at least u get some sort of visible enjoyment/utility out of these things even if u sell them latter. As much as I love money I don't get much enjoyment from staring at it and the more u horde money the less happy u are. Money is meant to be spent/invested.

Now if they all become worthless at some future date then that's a whole different story. But judging by the quality of work on these things I don't really see that happening, I mean there not like revenge of the sixth on card figures

Last edited:

_____

:1-1: ...but 90% of what I know about this hobby has come from discussions had with far more knowledgeable and insightful fellow freaks. The other 10% has come from my own mistakes :)

It's on my list of movies to get to when I finally get a break in the summer. I've been watching TV series a lot these past few years - the number of cool movies I've let myself miss is kind of embarrassing actually :)

Back