new collector of hot toys need suggestions/direction

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tittle of thread sums it up. I didn't even know these things existed 15 days ago and as soon as saw them I was hooked. However since they are so expensive I need some sort of strategy for purchases or I'll go broke fast. In the last 15 days I have bought the following hot toys:

Dx12
Dx07
Dx10
T1-t800
Avengers captain america
300 king Leonidas
Superman- Reeves.

Is there any other figures that u guys recommend and how do u guys budget. There are like 4 more I want ( avengers Thor, avengers iron man, hulk and amazing spiderman) supposedly coming out in the next few months that I want and at over $200 per pop that's a lot of dough. What I have noticed though is if u wait a while to purchase the price increases at a crazy rate. So how long do u typically have to purchase these things before they sell out and u get gouged in after market?? Do u really have to pre order all of them to pay retail?? How do u guys manage the spending and prioritizes purchases??

Unfortunately it really depends on the figure itself. Can't really tell which will sell out and become an instant hit until it gets released. Although, if you're patient enough, you can wait it out and get it for a pretty good deal through the BST channel here. It's a hit and a miss and sometimes it's not going to be worth the extra 10-20 dollars you end up saving.

Decide on a theme. Only buy what you want. Accept that if you don't get it within 3-4 months of release, you will need lube.

These days it seems that figures take a lot longer to sell out. Larger edition sizes (apparently) and a greater number of licenses means collectors are a bit more thinly spread than they once were, so figures are way easier to get hold of in the months after release. DX Jack Sparrow was a home-run figure, but it's still available at MSRP now, same with CR Superman.

Also, some popular figures are being re-releases as 2.0s or variants: Joker, Iron Man, Batman...

You seem like you're going on a Marvel binge, which is expensive. When I started collecting I paid crazy aftermarket prices for three figures. I wouldn't dream of doing that now, but that's how a new passion can be.

Pace yourself. I don't think any of the figures you list are in any great danger of going through the roof in the next 6-12 months.

Haha get out now! Ya I just bought blade and that will be my last purchase for a while. It cost me a grip. Ya like another poster said I do want the avenger and ironman especially cost so much and he isn't even that old or rare o figure. Looks like I'll have to just narrow down to just Thor and spiderman. Plus buying man of steel is a must. It just sucks the after market costs of the cool figures. After buying Leonidas and blade its all over for my account. Such a shame that these wonderful pieces of art are so much money!

Also, once you get commerce privileges, keep an eye on the sales section on this board. If you're patient you can generally pick up these figures for a lot less than what you'd pay on ebay (if that's where you're getting them now).

Is it better to by the rare ones first and then just move on to current releases that interest you?? I may have took the wrong approach as I tried to buy the rare ones first so they don't go up any higher in price then they already are. Not only did I love blade and leo sculpts a lot they were expensive. I know price is subjective but what are fair prices for Leo and blade???

Last edited:
Rare ones may also be re-released somewhere down the line.

Oh wow. U really think they will re release blade and Leo?? I mean blade will be remade at some poni I am sure but currently its owned by Disney and it would be a pretty violent movie for them to release. Also 300 is getting a sequel but king Leo won't be in it.

Also iron man has a bunch of different mark releases but u can't find a mark3-vi for less then 350 new sealed in box

Also iron man has a bunch of different mark releases but u can't find a mark3-vi for less then 350 new sealed in box

Unless you're a MISB collector, forget the sealed box business. With Iron Man especially, a lot of people have found his undies pink out of the box. Better to buy a previously displayed one from a freak here knowing exactly what condition it is in. imo.

I hope you're not buying anything just because its rare. Collect only from movies you are genuinely interested in and have a desire to own figures from.

Get out now would be best. Get out while you still can! :lol

:goodpost: This. Most of your figures will deteriorate in a few years. Plus Hot Toys are constantly upgradeing existing releases to get you to buy them again. They have perfected this to a science. They have quite a racket.

Back