new collector of hot toys need suggestions/direction

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post. Ya I think part of the problem is that as of now these item hold value well which makes the sickness/mental justification of the purchases worst. U tell urself " well if I really needed the money I can sell them latter". So in a way there almost the same as holding money due to the loss in purchasing power of the dollar caused by inflation (that is unless u invest money and are earning a return that's greater then the inflation rate).. Plus at least u get some sort of visible enjoyment/utility out of these things even if u sell them latter. As much as I love money I don't get much enjoyment from staring at it and the more u horde money the less happy u are. Money is meant to be spent/invested.

Now if they all become worthless at some future date then that's a whole different story. But judging by the quality of work on these things I don't really see that happening, I mean there not like revenge of the sixth on card figures

Oh yeah, thats another one I've happily told myself Have fun with that one :D

It's very important to keep a limit on spending and stuff. Friend of mine went in debt within 3 months, his life savings and everything went into figures.

What I do is put a certain amount of what I have per month on PayPal and use that, no more. Try to limit usage of credit cards as you have no idea how much cash you burn.

It's very important to keep a limit on spending and stuff. Friend of mine went in debt within 3 months, his life savings and everything went into figures.

What I do is put a certain amount of what I have per month on PayPal and use that, no more. Try to limit usage of credit cards as you have no idea how much cash you burn.

Jeesh. Ya I had 1k in Christmas funds and blew another 1.5 out of my own savings. However I just sold one of our cars so I have a huge inflow coming in :) ya I have some buyers remorse but its a good starting point for me to get into this and I feel content. I don't plan on spending a large some of money like this again ever but I consider this an initial investment in the hobbie. I only paid 8-10% more then retail for dx07 and superman but that was the exclusive versions. Dx-12, 300 and blade were the ones I splurged on. Still a lot of the other ones I wanted that were still relatively new, such as dx01 or dx04, iron mans, 89 batman I just passed on. Seems anything batman or ironman related will be off limits due to price unless I preorder. Even joker preoder is like 274 lol . No joker for me.

One thing I found strange is that I was able to purchase avengers cap, dx10 and t1 t800 all for under ss retail list cost. All figures I really wanted and would think would be popular. Very confusing to say the least

That's kind of why I started this thread, just trying to see how others moderate their spending and plan purchases when the value of some of these things jump after market as soon as they sell out. No way I am blowing anything near this to get all those avengers at once; so far what I have gathered is u just buy certain ones and be happy. I just can't justify spending 300 on eBay for dx09 when its only a year old, or any of the iron mans. Blade and Leo on the other hand seemed worth it. It just sucks though that that the price of some new figures even inflates so fast.

Last edited:
As a guy who has literally bought a ton of these things and then resold them later, dont try to get older figures. You will pay some reseller way more than it cost, and there is always the risk that there will be a re-release of it somewhere down the line that is cooler, better headsculpt, more gadgets etc.

Going for the stuff that is releasing now is easier on your wallet. Dont get something because you think it is rare or a good investment. They are making too many of them these days and too many other people are trying to do the same thing. If you want to sell anything on Ebay these days (in a timely fashion), it has to be near or under retail.

I don't plan on spending a large some of money like this again ever

That's what we all say in the beginning. "I'll just spend 2-3k tops and that's it." And then we find ourselves in a position many times saying, "Oh what's another $200." Before you know it, "Wait where did all mah money go?" As your name suggests, it does get incredibly addicting and impulsive to a point that we easily lose sight of our budget and forget how much we have already spent. At any rate, enjoy your collection in good health!

As a guy who has literally bought a ton of these things and then resold them later, dont try to get older figures. You will pay some reseller way more than it cost, and there is always the risk that there will be a re-release of it somewhere down the line that is cooler, better headsculpt, more gadgets etc.

Going for the stuff that is releasing now is easier on your wallet. Dont get something because you think it is rare or a good investment. They are making too many of them these days and too many other people are trying to do the same thing. If you want to sell anything on Ebay these days (in a timely fashion), it has to be near or under retail.

Ya that's why I skipped on iron man/joker but the cost on ss preorder for the new stuff esp. ironman and joker are also expensive. The only old figures I bought were Leo and blade cause I like the movies and love the sculpts. If they remake those guys they will cost 300 new anyway right, and will be hard for them to improve on the originals.

Back