New collector needs some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgolking

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a fairly new collector.

I purchased two statues from sideshow in years past, but have just recently become really interested in growing my collection.

Problem is that I have several expensive pieces that will be coming out soon and I need help strategizing how I will be paying for them.

As a general question, is it better to purchase near release or after there has been time to resolve quality control issues (e.g., Darth Maul mythos glossy head)?

I'm looking at getting the following:

Godzilla 2014
Smaug the Terrible (Weta)
Apatosaurus (1000 limited release in Jan 2015)
Hulk Maquette (Avengers)
Darth Maul Mythos (2500 limited release)

I've listed in order of priority and know the first two may be very expensive. How often do statutes sell out before release? Like I asked above, better to buy early on or later after any quality control issues can be worked out? Lastly, how do you predict when a statute will be out of stock when a number isn't fixed to the release such as the Hulk maquette?

Thanks in advance your replies! :)

No one know when or how long it will take for statues to "sell out".

Everyone one is deifferent and have their own strategies when trying to predict and it's always a gamble when quality control is an issue.

If it's a MUST then PO and be done... if it's a nice to have, but could live without. Wait for in-hand picks then jump on waitlist.

I also just started collecting statues, and I prefer to get the status on PO the minute they come out.
Which I did on Green Poison Ivy and Black Cat.

It is much better to pay about 75 dollars a month than to pay the full price for me.

As a general question, is it better to purchase near release or after there has been time to resolve quality control issues ?

Man thats like a zen riddle to ponder :)

It is always better in this hobby to wait until lack of QC issues confirmed and quality in hand pics appear on the web ......BUT
....waiting until that stage you are much more likely to have to deal with sky rocketing prices on ebay and Exclusive editions long since sold out and unavailable.

Sort of comes down to individual companies standing behind their products. For the big guys:
Sideshow may have QC issues ....but they also have fairly amazing customer service and willingness to replace.
Hot Toys tends to just go silent but many of their retailers (official or unofficial) are generally okay ...but long term QC you're stuffed.
Enterbay vary widely in their response to QC and their CS department appears to be consist of a monkey and a dartboard.

Back