New ALIEN Statue from Yoshihiko Sano

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing but legs and overall tinting left. WIP pics soon.

I sure hope I really have time to finish this before Prometheus. This thing sure is big when you're trying to cover it in tiny, costume specific detail.:violin

I guarantee you've never seen a Big Chap paint up in a truly accurate paint style, but you're going to.

This is what I'm talkin' about.

aliencostume.jpg

Alien-LatexSuitPaint.jpg

Alien-LatexSuitPaint3.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing but legs and overall tinting left. WIP pics soon.

I sure hope I really have time to finish this before Prometheus. This thing sure is big when you're trying to cover it in tiny, costume specific detail.:violin

I guarantee you've never seen a Big Chap paint up in a truly accurate paint style, but you're going to.

This is what I'm talkin' about.
Can't wait to see him!:impatient::peace

So what's truly accurate when there were 5 different suits?:monkey3

Can't wait to see him!:impatient::peace

So what's truly accurate when there were 5 different suits?:monkey3

Notice I didn't say "screen accurate", but "accurate STYLE". Yes, there are 5 suits which are all a little different, but from what I've seen in all the references I've found is that not once have I seen anybody go about painting any Big Chap model in the way Giger did. I posted those reference pics to show the streaking effect that seems to be a theme in the more detailed references I've seen. It's similar to the way the skull detail was done. On the skull, the black lines are less cracks in the skull (even though I made my front skull like cracks still) and more just curved lines with no deliberate start or end.

Most people see pics of Big Chap, and I think their eyes mostly see gray/ black with some brown and a hint of veining around the shoulders, and that's what I used to see. But the more I really study all the pics and videos I've found, the more I see those free-flowing streaks as well as uneven blotching effects coming out. On some suits and in some shots, it looks like a lot of this detail has been darkened over or lost in the age of the pieces, but I want to really capture that Gigeresque wavey line and blotching effect all over. You can sort of see it on the dorsol pipes in this shot. A lot of what looks like folds or sculptural details in the suit is actually paint effects.

alien1A.jpg

It does seem incorrect to say "truly accurate" since there is no single look, and I sure didn't mean that all other attempts are wrong or bad. What I mean I guess is that I just haven't seen anyone ever capture that streaked look I like so much in some suits. Granted it's extremely hard to notice most of the time, but when I caught onto it, I just had to go that way.

Last edited:
It seems pretty pbvious one you point it out, but the painting technique really isn't that noticeable when you just look at stills from the movie.
Looking forward to your work!

Alright, it's been too long since I updated you all with Sano Alien WIP pics. I usually try to complete a whole step before taking pics, but this is one very long step and it keeps getting interrupted by major project deadlines, so I thought I'd go ahead take mid-step pics to show you what's taking so long.

What I have done so far on the body is still a ways away from the final look.

First, I still need to finish detailing the right hand and legs, and then I have to go back over certain large sections and give it a lighter haze to soften the details. Then I will darken up most of it further and add brown and rusty tints to specific areas. The last steps will be to gloss it up, and then chrome the teeth and paint the nails.

And then I'll start the base, but I have no idea what clever thing to do with it yet. Right now I'm just worried about finishing the Alien in time for Prometheus to come out.

Enjoy.

SanoAlien-BodyDetailinProgressFront.jpg

SanoAlien-BodyDetailinProgressLeft.jpg

SanoAlien-BodyDetailinProgressRight.jpg

Yeah, not bad.

:rock
I can see what you mean about the air brushed patterns and lines, that last shot looks like one if Giger's paintings. One hell of a job!

Wow.
That's all I can say...
Amazing work! I think you have really captured Giger's look, I'd never seen any collectible reproduce so well Giger's work.
Congratulations!
Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Wow awesome paint job. Im fairly new here, but is there any shot at buying one of these pieces on the aftermarket??

Thanks guys. The positive reaction is good motivation for me to finish it soon. I'll be spending all night on it tonight. Hopefully I get pretty far. Once he's done, I'll post Hi-Res pics.

I hope I get my display case from Station by then. This is the schematic I made up for him of what I wanted. He's working on it now. The "ALIEN" text will light up.

MySanoAlienDisplayCaseDiagram.jpg

Thanks guys. The positive reaction is good motivation for me to finish it soon. I'll be spending all night on it tonight. Hopefully I get pretty far. Once he's done, I'll post Hi-Res pics.

I hope I get my display case from Station by then. This is the schematic I made up for him of what I wanted. He's working on it now. The "ALIEN" text will light up.

MySanoAlienDisplayCaseDiagram.jpg

Incredible detailing!! I love it! :clap

I'd also be interested in getting my hands on a case like this one. Could you please give me a lil' more info on how to go about ordering one of my own, for my Sano statue? If you don't mind me asking of course. :wink1: Just post or PM me the details. TIA

It does seem incorrect to say "truly accurate" since there is no single look, and I sure didn't mean that all other attempts are wrong or bad. What I mean I guess is that I just haven't seen anyone ever capture that streaked look I like so much in some suits. Granted it's extremely hard to notice most of the time, but when I caught onto it, I just had to go that way.

Anyone who has seen anything you've done knows what you mean. Surfer, you have never failed to amaze. Like your SS Boba prototype. It looks like a fanatical Boba Fett fan poured over this to make sure it looked exactly like what every other sculpt has missed. For all your talk of workload and deadlines, I've never seen something you've had pics of and even once thought you looked like you were just trying to get done. Your work is great, its easy to see you're a perfectionist and a fan, and thats about the best compliment I can give you. This Alien is just another example of how your vision delivers. Your works are one of the best things on these boards. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Anyone who has seen anything you've done knows what you mean. Surfer, you have never failed to amaze. Like your SS Boba prototype. It looks like a fanatical Boba Fett fan poured over this to make sure it looked exactly like what every other sculpt has missed. For all your talk of workload and deadlines, I've never seen something you've had pics of and even once thought you looked like you were just trying to get done. Your work is great, its easy to see you're a perfectionist and a fan, and thats about the best compliment I can give you. This Alien is just another example of how your vision delivers. Your works are one of the best things on these boards. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I think this may be the best compliment I've ever gotten. I try very hard to be exactly what you've described, a perfectionist and a fan. For me, making a living doing this is a privilege (and a necessity), but I really love honoring modern classics and great sculpts with my attention to detail and paint accuracy. I'm a fan first, an artist second, and a professional third.

The reason I love hanging out on this forum is because, unlike being a company that needs to produce a good enough figure on a budget and get it out there, I am truly trying to achieve what the most die hard fans want to see in their collectibles, and if it doesn't look right to me, it isn't done. And I still make my deadlines.

If I weren't an artist, I'd still be a collector, so my goal is to make what I really want, whether I really want it or not. And in this case, there are few things I want more than the perfect Alien representation in my home. I've waited 33 years for this. I'm making it worth the wait.

Last edited:
I got a lot done tonight. The right arm is finished, and the upper legs are all detailed. I've got about 25% of the lower legs and feet started. I think I can finish Big Chap in 2 or 3 more sittings, and then the base.

Anybody have suggestions or references of how the base should look? At the moment I'm leaning toward painting it to look like part of the landing gear bay of the Nostromo where Brett got taken. The design of the base doesn't really fit that scene though, so I'm torn. What are your thoughts?

Back