NEED RAIN! Big Wildfire threatening my hometown!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les,
Hope all goes well for your mom. My prayers are with you and your family.
As for the fire? Despite a good portion of where I work still being water logged, I just can't get the H2O to you. I can, however, grab the redeye and save all the 1:6 I can from the perilous smoke damage!! :monkey3

Les here's to things continuing to blow that crap away from you and your family!

You're a good guy to be looking after your mom like this.

Wildfires still going...smoke still here...
AND...
My Mom had a pacemaker put in yesterday. Some issues with her lungs. Please keep your thoughts and prayers coming our way.
Thanks,

Les

figuremasterles said:
AND...
My Mom had a pacemaker put in yesterday. Some issues with her lungs. Please keep your thoughts and prayers coming our way.
Thanks,

Les

You know we will Les!

All you have to do is ask.

figuremasterles said:
AND...
My Mom had a pacemaker put in yesterday. Some issues with her lungs.

Please keep your thoughts and prayers coming our way.
Thanks,

Les

Always bro. Always...

Quick, more specific update on my home situations (there are plenty!)

Mom: Pacemaker went ok. She has some air outside her lung, nitrogen they say, a bubble, that they are trying to dissapate. Wierd thing that happened because they accidently stuck one of the pacemaker leads into her lung. I am trying not to be angry about it.
She is doing better though. I think, since this pacemaker, that she is thinking better. I can't know yet. She is at the hospital, and since my Sister is in town and up there watching her this afternoon (tonight's my turn), I used today to go out and run errands, buy groceries, and ship Hudson heads...yes, SOME of you get your heads this week. I only had time to pack about seven of them. Guess we find out who in a few days. You others, bear with me. I will be packing and shipping more as I can.

The FIRE: WOW! :google
I haven't been out much to see, but news crews from all over are in town. FOX, Weather channel, LOTS of US Forestry guys, LOTS...trucks with tractors and all, dirty, charred tractors, moving all over town. Lots of signs saying "God Bless our Firefighters" on every storefront...it's like a war...and then...
The smoke! Today, I learned that the fire, which started north west of us, has burned all the way around to the due south of us...like Indians circling the camp! And the plume of smoke made me stop the car and get out and look. Looks like an atomic bomb...HUGE mushroom towering over town! And they say the flames are reaching 150 feet tall just three miles to the south!
Can you say...DAMN! Witnesses likened it to the Balrog approaching! :balrog
I guess we have some LOTR fans around here...

SO...Life's not dull here gang. My mind harkens to the words of Creech, hope it ain't burning up my driveway soon friend! I will be packing me some 1/6 figures soon!!!!
And no, Ironman...you can't have any! ...yet... :D

I plan to take my camera out when I can, and get pics. This is wild. Like a warzone. When I am not with my Mom at the hospital that is. So much going on.

And I have told my Mom of your thoughts and support of her. She has very much appreciated them. As have I.

Les

Wow Les... that's terrible to hear. Wildfires are unpredictable and horrifying, and when they get that out of hand it tends to make people edgy for miles. Therese and I will keep you and your family in our thoughts and send good mojo your way.

And speaking of your Mom, I'm glad to hear her operation went well, she's such a sweet lady... :cool:

Sending some good karma your way, Les! Sorry to hear about the bad drought there. That sucks. As for your mom, she will be in my thoughts and prayers, as will you.

My thoughts are with you as well. I'm here in Atlanta and have been watching this coverage carefully, too.

At least it is raining today here. I hope the same storm system is down south as well.

God I hope we get rain!!!!!

News...
Ma is home from the hospital. Pacemaker went well. Some scares, but she's home! Weak, but my sister and brother who both live far off, are home to help. All of us here at one time. GREAT day! We don't get together often.

Fire, still going. I plan to go and get some pics today. WIll post if any are interesting.

Til then,
THANKS ALL for the wonderful thoughts and prayers on our behalf. They are felt and appreciated.

Les

Thanks!

I went out today and tried for the first time since all this started, to go see some of the damage, or some fire stuff, and it's a war zone out there! Cop cars everywhere, blocking roads to the danger zones, smoke rising like bombs, tales overheard in stores, everyone has stories, it's like a war. Amazing! NOTHING ever happens here. They'll be talking about this for years.

Got some D I S T A N C E shots, nothing dramatic enough to shake up this lot, but it was neat to be followed by cops when I went into a parking lot that runs adjacent to the highway to get closer to the action than the road allowed...and the cops were not smiling....
Pics posted later.

This is the view I got yesterday of the smoke from our local fires which have burned over 68,000 acres of wild forest area now...

WayxFire1.jpg

Looking due east, smoke is blowing from right to left, from the southwest (over viewer's right shoulder) towards the northeast. This view shows that it is a sunny day, but that the smoke is so thick that it blots out sun for miles near it. Looks overcast. This is about a mile from the edge of the smoke.

I got a bit closer, but was run off by angy cops for getting too near the fire areas. I want to try and catch some big news vans as they all eat supper at local establishments. Maybe I can get more news.
It's interesting at least.

Mom is home. Tired, but appreciates all your kind words. Thanks gang. That helped me a lot too.

Les

NOW I GOT SOME PHOTOS!

I drove out towards the fire today. It's burning even more area south of us, JUST south of town, like about 3 to 5 miles south...
It's ENORMOUS!

Look at these shots from several miles north of it...(I'm slowly getting closer each shot...)

WayxFire3a.jpg

Past our local mall...

WayxFire5.jpg

Many news crews and sat trucks are everywhere...LOADS of fire trucks and gear...

WayxFire4.jpg

And this is about as far as I could go towards it...

WayxFire2.jpg

There was a roadblack there, and I turned and came back.
Josh (Dark Artist) was on this road not too many months back...look familiar bro? Most of it about a mile to two miles south of here is all burned out.

You can see all the trees. They can see why they call it THE MONSTER....

Beruthiel said:
news Les? How is it going and how is your mom doing? Thinking of you now.

WOW! Beru! Man do I miss you! Need to get back in chat again! :lol
I will soon...

Today, no changes, but the fire still gorws. Thing about it is, it is staying just south of us, in the major forest areas, The Okefenokee Swamp is there, as is MAJOR South Georgia timberland. Lots of paper mill trees, Pines. Think, fat-lighter. Burns hot as hell. And no rain, and scorched earth...scary.

They call this The MONSTER and it is the largest fire in Georgia State history already. It just keeps burning. They say things like "It doesn't behave like a normal fire". Go figure.
One fireman, got stuck in the path when the wind changed. This thing is moving at like 100 feet a minute, with flames 150 high....and he realized it was coming, so he hid under all this heavy gear he had, since he couldn't outrun it. It burned right over and past him. He waited and got up and everything was blackened. Crazy stuff! That story has been on National news already.

It's as weird as it is exciting. And not in a good way.
Mom is ok. Her lungs are not handling it well, but since we are north of it all now, and the prevailing winds are from the Northwest, we can't even smell it. That is good for ma. We go back to the doc about her Tuesday.

But this fire is wild. No pun intended.
Weird to be in the middle of some big news for a change. We NEVER get news here. Too dull. One Walmart for Chrissakes. Oh, and it's close to the fires. Might not be all bad if the damned thing burned. :D
I jest.

Anyway, thanks guys.
More as I know it.

Back