Need help with a wireless router!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Electricity

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey,
I just inherited a used linksys wireless router wrt54g v.6 and I can't get the damned thing to connect to the internet.
I've done the whole reseting/unplugging the router, the modem, changing around the cords to make sure they all work thing. There is nothing wrong with my modem or internet service and I know all the cords are working. I basically have an old hardwire linksys router that works like a charm with all the same equipment. Basically I just got it so I can plug my PC directly in and my girlfriend can walk around the apartment with her phone and laptop.

From what I can gather, it is generating an invalid ip address that starts in like 169.. and that is why it has 'limited or no connectivity'

This is my first time working with a wireless router...Does anyone have more experience with this?

souds like you need to adjust the settings to the router itself. do you have the paperwork? if so it should give you a web address/url that should take you to the linksys web page dedicated to that particular router. from there you can do a lot of things like trouble shooting & securing the router...... naming your router & setting a password for it thus letting your gf or whoever you want to have access to it. theres a lot more things you can do with it but if you can get to the url its easy enough to follow and more than likely get you up and running.

souds like you need to adjust the settings to the router itself. do you have the paperwork? if so it should give you a web address/url that should take you to the linksys web page dedicated to that particular router. from there you can do a lot of things like trouble shooting & securing the router...... naming your router & setting a password for it thus letting your gf or whoever you want to have access to it. theres a lot more things you can do with it but if you can get to the url its easy enough to follow and more than likely get you up and running.

Who are you and why are you using B's account to post???? :panic:

Make sure it's reset--that would be pressing some little button on the router to reset all the settings.

Then you need to change the router settings--with a computer that's connected to the router, type 192.168.1.1 (I think) into your web browser. It should bring up the interface to change the router settings. By default the username is admin and the password is admin

Then most likely you will need to put in the DNS address--The DNS is something you would get from your internet provider, if you don't have it you need to call them and ask for it. They'll give you a primary and secondary address, go to the DNS settings on the router and put them in.

That's all you have to do. You can also setup the network security and password from the Router settings here as well. Usually you don't have to put in the DNS address, which is why most people don't have it. But if it's not working otherwise you may need to. I always had to do that at my parent's house.

Thanks a ton for the response.

I'm having trouble being connectable at all. I had my ISP on the phone twice and they helped me with as much as they could before they sent me towards the linksys people...who wont help me unless I put it under warranty.

Basically when I plug and unplug the thing in, or keep trying to reset it..or hold the reset button down..I'm still not being able to connect to the internet at all.

I tried editing the settings on the 192.168.5.1 site while I am using the older router to see if it would somehow carry over...but to no avail. I am still getting a 169 address that is not letting me connect.

haha.

also, I am aware that there is a firmware for this specific device that needs to be updated which could be the reason why I am having trouble..however since I can't even connect via ethernet cable to one of the router ports (even to get on 192.168.1.1) I am unsure how to run that update.

plug the internet wire into the router, and plug the router power cord into the wall.

You said your router is giving you a bad IP address or your computer's wireless has a bad IP ???

I had the same model # of router and I had to get a new one because mine just died. It seems that those model #s just sometimes die.

Yeah, I sort of abandoned all hope for it. from what I can gather..it seems the router isn't sending an IP address to the cpu. When I plug straight into my modem, it works fine..it's not my actual internet that is a problem. So the issue is my cpu is autoconfiguring a private ip address. So whatever is inside the router that makes it shoot out an ip address is busted.

Yeah, I sort of abandoned all hope for it. from what I can gather..it seems the router isn't sending an IP address to the cpu. When I plug straight into my modem, it works fine..it's not my actual internet that is a problem. So the issue is my cpu is autoconfiguring a private ip address. So whatever is inside the router that makes it shoot out an ip address is busted.

You could try giving your computer a static IP address so that the router doesn't give your computer an address.

Back