Need Help getting matte finish on my paint job

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesslemming

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hello guys

I have been toying around with a spare face plate for the DX02 Dark Knight.
This is my first attempt at painting anything.
For this project I used citadel acrylic paint with flow enhancer on a brush.
It came out ok. To finish the paint I used Tamiya Flat clear. On a brush. Even several layers with different dilutions and even undiluted didn't give me a flat finish. The skin still looks shiny, which is unnatural. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the bad quality image.jpg

Go buy some "Flat Base" (x-21???), and add small amounts of that to your flat clear, until you achieve the desired results. Either that or try another brands flat clear.

PS I buy packs of cheap plastic spoons to test paints on. :)

Thank you for your compliments, they are appreciated. I just started out of fun and as it turns out it really is fun!

Your recommendations were spot on, Mr. Walker. I visited my trusted shop today and bought the Tamiya X-21 Flat Base, along with the Tamiya XF-15 flat flesh and the Tamiya TS-80 flat clear spray can.

I first tried the TS-80 aerosol can at it immediately hit home. The appearance instantaneously changed to a very natural flat tone. Superb!
I applied three coats total, that was it. For the final step I mixed some lip colour (brown and deep red) thinned it with flow enhancer and added just a tip of my brush of the base Tamiya X-21 and finished the lips with a smooth and silky tone.

Mixing the Tamiya XF-86 flat clear with the Tamiya X-21 does work but requires a lot of knowledge regarding the ratio.
If I mixed in too much of the flat base the coating turned white/chalky...

I am thinking about completely redoing the paint job with a Tamiya XF-15 base and some Citadel acrylics mixed with base flat Tamiya, but maybe I will leave the paint as is.
I will post some better pictures soon (sun has already set in Germany)

Second try:

I wasn't entirely happy with the last paint, because there were too many varnish layers from the Tamiya XF-86.
So I stripped the plate from the paint with acetone and started from scratch.

I started with three layers of Citadel Kislev Flesh with a little flow enhancer and just the tip of my brush of Tamiya X-21 flat base.
The Tamiya flat base got me a perfect dead flat finish for the base and the colour of the Citadel Kislev is not bad for humans.
I then started adding some details with thin brown, scarlet and tiny bits of purple.

I didn't apply paint to the lips until now. For lip colouration I used a mixture of scarlet, tiny bits of brown and purple in a thin wash with several layers.
My intention was to not overdo the lips because too much paint will cover the details in the lip sculpt.

I then topped everything off with Tamiya TS-80 flat clear spray.

Here's the result so far

DSC03806.JPG

Back