Need advice from my fellow FREAKS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what should I do

• cancel some pre-orders and buy the awesome TV

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • keep all of my pre-orders and forget about the TV for now

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

Praetorian380

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok everyone I need some serious advice here

My dilemma is........

-should I cancel some Sideshow pre-orders and get a brand new 46" or 40" (have not decided on the size yet) Sony XBR2 HD 1080p LCD TV

OR

-should I keep all of my sideshow orders and get a TV later, say
about a year from now

Now the TV is going to cost me anywhere from $2500 - $3000 depending on the size I get, so with that in mind I have to do some serious cut backs on my collectible spending. The main reason why I want to buy an HD TV right now is that I just got an Xbox360 and really want to get the full experience out of it using 1080p picture quality. I am currently playing on a Sony Trinitron 27" flat screen TV, which looks great, but I know it can be so much better.
The thing is there is no way I can afford to pay off all of my collectibles and a TV at the same time.

I have a lot of stuff on pre-order with Sideshow and I just don’t know what I should cancel and keep. There are some items that are definite keepers, but others, as hard as it may be, I think I can part with.
The other issue is the availability of space at my house.....I currently don’t have much left for some of the larger items. But, as us fellow FREAKS know, we can always make room if we have to!

Here is a list of items I have on pre-order with Sideshow. I’m listing them in order of what I think I should keep, cancel, and what I am on the fence about.

Keepers:
-Star Wars 12-inch Figures Buboicullaar Creature Pack - Sideshow Exclusive -Legend 1:4 Scale Figures Lord of Darkness PF - Sideshow Exclusive
-Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece Series Aliens - Alien Warrior 16-inch
-Star Wars - Medicom Toy RAH 1/6th Scale Figure Boba Fett
-Star Wars - Medicom Toy RAH 1/6th Scale Figure Jango Fett
-Star Wars 12-inch Figures Leia as Boushh - Sideshow Exclusive
-Star Wars 12-inch Figures Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode IV - Sideshow Ex
-Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece Series Predator 2 14-inch model kit

Cancel:
Alien Franchise Collectibles Alien3 Maquette - 1:4 Scale Maquette
Star Wars 12-inch Figures Derjarik Holochess Set - Sideshow Exclusive
Medicom Toy VCD (Vinyl Collectible Dolls) Black Hole Stormtrooper
Medicom Toy VCD (Vinyl Collectible Dolls) Imperial Royal Guard VCD

On the Fence:
-Terminator 2: Judgment Day Collectibles T-800 Endoskeleton Life-Size Bust
-Star Wars Premium Format Figures Speeder Bike and Scout PF
[FONT=&quot]-Star Wars 12-inch Figures Holographic Darth Sidious with Mechno-chair[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] -Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece Series ALIENS Power Loader[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] so, what do you guys think I should do? Please throw me your opinions![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Help me make a desicion [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Wasn't there a non-poll thread about this elsewhere?:confused:

I vote cancel. You can pik them up down the road. :duff

i myself have a niiiiiiiice sony 50 hdtv and i got to say its a investment that you wont regret, i love watching movies and sports games on it. plus as time goes on you can really develop a nice home theatre room with stereo etc. and my x-box is f' n gorgeous on the tv. i honestly feel like it ups my game.

i say wait a year on the tv. the prices keep going down all the time. but if you need to get a better screen how about possibly getting a westinghouse lcd. they have a 47" 1080p for about $1400 right now on newegg. im probably gonna get one in a couple months when i get my financial aid check for the fall semester. here it is:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234003

You need to be careful when buying a flat screen tv. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the LCD tvs distort the picture once they are over like 36 inch. This wouldn't make it a true 1080 picture quality. Plasmas are just too darm heavy. If you aren't anal about the picture quality, then buy the biggest LCD you can afford. I have a Sony 34 inch LCD and the pisture is outstanding.

As much as collecting is fun and important, so is your chosen lifestyle. As others have said, get the TV. Most of the stuff will turn up in future. Whether thats through people selling on this board or via Ebay I would bet on you finding this stuff at decent prices months from now.

Get the TV bro!!!!:cool:

I say keep the collectibles, technology is ever changing, a year from now, you could find a better tv for cheaper, but some collectibles may cost you more or not be around to get down the road and then you're left empty handed.

Get the TV,a HDTV is something you won't regret...but consider some other TVs as the 1080p's are the most recent ones to come out and the most expensive.

I'd cancel all those collectibles that you're not big into...maybe Terminators or something?

ALSO...a bit of advice,I am not 100% sure but the X-Box 360's highest HD output is 720p/1080i...NOT 1080p (which is the PS3's highest output, but there aren't many PS3 games that even support 1080p just yet)...so you will get excellent picture quality on a 720p HDTV and save some cash...maybe you can even go bigger and get a 50 or 60 incher.

Go for the HDTV. I have a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 1080P and I love the thing.

Watching a Blu-Ray disc with uncompressed audio is the icing on the cake.

:banana

Prices in technology espeacially TV's drop every year.

but then again.. some of those items you have ordered should be able to be found cheaper as well. Good Luck!!

I voted cancel. However, I would suggest going with a DLP set instead of LCD. You can get a good DLP set for half the price of a comparable LCD set. Or you can get a much larger set for the same money. And, to be quite honest, LCD sets have their own inherent problems -

1.) The larger the screen, the more likely there will be dead pixels - i.e. small specks where there is permanently a black, white, or red color spot because the LCD pixel cannot change. On a 40+ size LCD TV, the manufacturer can get away with between 10 to 20 before they will accept a return/ exchange. True, that's 10 to 20 out of close to a million ... but 10 white specks in the middle of your screen when playing a "dark" i.e. game with a lot of dark scenes can drive you crazy despite the ratio. DLP uses micro-mirrors and have a much smaller failure rate than LCD.

2.) Pixels can die over time through use. I bought a LCD 1080P TV I am going to exchange soon and it went from 1 dead pixel in the lower bottom that didn't bother me to a total of 4 - 2 in the dead center - over the course of 3 weeks of moderate use. Most times these companies will not fix / replace the TV unless you have 10 to 20 dead pixels as listed above. It's actually listed in their warranties how many are considered "acceptable".

3.) LCDs, at least in my opinion, do not produce non-native - i.e. non-1080P pictures all that well. Which is fine for 1080P games. But a lot of them will only run in 480P or 720P. Add to this the fact that most HDTV signals are not 1080P and most of your use will not be native 1080P sources. Definitely get a 1080P set as it's "future proof" and those 1080P movies and games look amazing. However, you would be better off with a DLP or a DLA-I television.

4.) The cost is crazy for LCD above 40". I bought a 42" LCD 1080P television earlier in the month that I am preparing to exchange for a DLP set. The 42" was 1699. The jump to 47 was 2599. The jump to 52 was 3999. 42" just isn't that big for a Widescreen television. The 56" DLP I am exchanging it for soon actually comes out to be 100 dollars cheaper than the LCD and the 1080P images look nearly identical.

What the hell is WRONG with you people? A TV? Screw TV, get some more damn toys/PF's!!!! That's HIGH DEF! TV's, cell phone, mp3 player, wtf? I don't even have an mp3 player cause of my collection, I still use a tape deck in my 97 wagon and it rocks! SCREW THAT TV, it's gonna be obsolete in like what 3 days anyway or something right? Them collectables are FOREVER!

DouglasMcc said:
I voted cancel. However, I would suggest going with a DLP set instead of LCD. You can get a good DLP set for half the price of a comparable LCD set. Or you can get a much larger set for the same money. And, to be quite honest, LCD sets have their own inherent problems -

1.) The larger the screen, the more likely there will be dead pixels - i.e. small specks where there is permanently a black, white, or red color spot because the LCD pixel cannot change. On a 40+ size LCD TV, the manufacturer can get away with between 10 to 20 before they will accept a return/ exchange. True, that's 10 to 20 out of close to a million ... but 10 white specks in the middle of your screen when playing a "dark" i.e. game with a lot of dark scenes can drive you crazy despite the ratio. DLP uses micro-mirrors and have a much smaller failure rate than LCD.

2.) Pixels can die over time through use. I bought a LCD 1080P TV I am going to exchange soon and it went from 1 dead pixel in the lower bottom that didn't bother me to a total of 4 - 2 in the dead center - over the course of 3 weeks of moderate use. Most times these companies will not fix / replace the TV unless you have 10 to 20 dead pixels as listed above. It's actually listed in their warranties how many are considered "acceptable".

3.) LCDs, at least in my opinion, do not produce non-native - i.e. non-1080P pictures all that well. Which is fine for 1080P games. But a lot of them will only run in 480P or 720P. Add to this the fact that most HDTV signals are not 1080P and most of your use will not be native 1080P sources. Definitely get a 1080P set as it's "future proof" and those 1080P movies and games look amazing. However, you would be better off with a DLP or a DLA-I television.

4.) The cost is crazy for LCD above 40". I bought a 42" LCD 1080P television earlier in the month that I am preparing to exchange for a DLP set. The 42" was 1699. The jump to 47 was 2599. The jump to 52 was 3999. 42" just isn't that big for a Widescreen television. The 56" DLP I am exchanging it for soon actually comes out to be 100 dollars cheaper than the LCD and the 1080P images look nearly identical.

What he said.

I bought a 1080p DLP set for Christmas and I'm completely happy with it. I have a 360 and PS3--both output 1080p and both look great. It's a tough decision, but if I had to choose I would want the nice TV, so that's how I voted.

Back