NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this on Facebook:

1048987_1616028075341689_6292964136048001361_o.jpg

I'm going to buy at least two of these sets if I can... the same with my son, so that's four sets from us. I have family going to SDCC this year and they will pick up the items for us.

I might try and snag the TRU version if I find it in my area.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this set is gonna escalate in value in the years to come so I might buy a couple just to put away as an investment.

People forget... the Hot Toys Gorilla Captain was the LAST 12" figure to sell out of that line and now he is THE most expensive.

Last edited:
Wow! How did you score the prototype?
And yes, NECA does nice stuff, just too bad its not in a better scale. They could have ruled the 1:6 world with great sculpts and better prices.
Too bad. And when I asked them about doing 1:6 they blocked me from their group.

Found it on eBay years ago. Since the statue was not sculpted at Sideshow, they were not able to control the item from escaping onto the auction site. Here's an old small photo of it.

download.jpeg

It's funny, you search Google Images under "Sideshow Lawgiver Statue" and my photo appears as one of the first entries.

And Steve you will be happy to know that like the 12" Sideshow line, the NECA Apes are floundering at the marketplace. Soon you won't have to be bothered with happy 6" collectors chatting about those puny apes any longer. After this line dies, I doubt ANY company will touch POTA with a 10 foot man catcher.

I would again remind you that NECA doesn't make 1:6 scale toys of any kind but... why bother?

Last edited:
Well thats some encouraging news from NECA. I was hoping pry like pthers the 3 pack price was gonna be around more of the 50 dollar mark. If that was the case i was planning on buying atleast 6 cases if not more. But now 75.00 2 alone will be close to 200 dollars, which o was planning to buy 4 cases for almost that. If you look on EBAY people already have them up for sale for 150.00. Crazy well i hope I get atleast 2 1 to keep sealed and 1 for display.

Awesome bandolier s crue-leader. What is the piece you used for the club clip?

It's evergreen plastic strips {sold in hobby stores}painted black, the hook is from Joann Fabrics, they have a section you can buy material to make your own jewelry.
I am still not real happy with the strap though, which is just brown fabric. I got six more to make so maybe I'll find something more realistic. I know I am missing the lighter shade piping that goes on the edges of the strap.

Found a couple of Ape soldiers in the clearance bin yesterday for $7 each.

Found this on Facebook:

View attachment 192844

I'm going to buy at least two of these sets if I can... the same with my son, so that's four sets from us. I have family going to SDCC this year and they will pick up the items for us.

I might try and snag the TRU version if I find it in my area.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this set is gonna escalate in value in the years to come so I might buy a couple just to put away as an investment.

People forget... the Hot Toys Gorilla Captain was the LAST 12" figure to sell out of that line and now he is THE most expensive.

Thanks for the heads-up....I will definitely go for at least two of these sets...gotta open one. :)

What is it with this license? Always burns bright and sputters out fast, dang it....but at least we get some cool figures out of it here and there. This NECA stuff has been great. Just got The Lawgiver stature recently and what a cool piece.

I hope NECA gets the support it needs to keep things going for a bit longer....

Hey guys here's a little Beneath diorama update! First off i have gone along the left side wall cutting out some of the rock and adding in evergreen side walk tile pieces. I got this idea on Hembles Gorilla soldier diorama piece which looked great, so I am adding it as well. here is the work in progress

Next up in the back left corner of the diorama was a little boring so i decided to add some much needed detail. here i will be adding in doors that will lead into what would be the Hall of the medez statues.Not sure if this would be movie accurate as the right way but thought it would be a nice look.

Next up are the doors for the passage way. i have cut out the crosses for the doors which i will be painting a dull red. on the l;eft are some pillars which yes! I will be making some medez statues to sit near the door way!

Some more shots of the bomb out cathedral which is still being painted as you can see, its been getting many coats of different grays.

And last but not least! This is for you Stickman! Thanks again for the heads up of this great organ piece! here is Zauis playing some tunes for the soldiers!

Matt, I was scrolling down the pictures, enjoying each one, when I got to the full shot I thought about the piano and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in your last photo. It looked so good that I went to amazon and ordered one. Some sellers have it for $73.+ s/h :horror

I still need to get the Neca Law Giver. I found the mini Law Giver that came with the SS figures, works will with the scale.

I can't wait to see your diorama all painted and lit up. Everything looks great, especially the doors. Now you need some mutants!

Thanks sticks! Yeah the organ is a really nice piece im gonna add it in at the end. Also you need to buy the NECA lawgiver, it is a beautiful piece!

I will try to grab the Law Giver soon from BigBadToyStore, Amazon's prices are extremely high and getting ridiculous.

I don't own any of the Ape movies except for the extended version of Conquest that ProtoZauis gave me. While doing a search last night I found two frames that may help you for visual references with color.

Here is a nice shot of the piped organ. I think the Organ's pipes are behind the bomb. It looks to be a Field Green color?
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%201.47.44%20AM.jpg

Here is a nice shot of the Chairs and the Church doors. It appears that the seats were color coordinated to match the colors of the Priests or High Priests.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%201.55.28%20AM.jpg

Would any Collector want this Orangutan in purple garb, I sure would.
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%201.53.11%20AM.jpg

Found it on eBay years ago. Since the statue was not sculpted at Sideshow, they were not able to control the item from escaping onto the auction site. Here's an old small photo of it.

View attachment 192845

It's funny, you search Google Images under "Sideshow Lawgiver Statue" and my photo appears as one of the first entries.

And Steve you will be happy to know that like the 12" Sideshow line, the NECA Apes are floundering at the marketplace. Soon you won't have to be bothered with happy 6" collectors chatting about those puny apes any longer. After this line dies, I doubt ANY company will touch POTA with a 10 foot man catcher.

I would again remind you that NECA doesn't make 1:6 scale toys of any kind but... why bother?

But, they did. And they are. They made 1:6 Kick-a$$, Terminator and V for Vendetta. They were part of the 1:6 Reel Toyz and they are putting out a special SDCC 1:6 Friday the 13th set. So.... 1:6 is/was possible, and still could be.
And, the lines failure won't make me happy. Despite your sarcasm I really was holding onto a slim hope that they would again enter the 1:6 realm with some apes after seeing they were branching into Mego territory.
And I would remind you that if people only ever just take whatever is thrown at them and never ask for more or better versions then that also stagnates a line's growth. Personally, I think NECA would have done well to market the apes in all three sizes.
As to POTA returning as figures in the future? I wouldn't rule it out. We never thought we'd see all that we already got.

Last edited:
That special SDCC Friday the 13th set is part of their 8" Retro line. They are not 12".

The 12" V for Vendetta figure was just a sized up figure of their 7" V for Vendetta figure. They did that with their Harry Potter line as well using their base 7" figure line to size up to both 12" and 18" with sound. But that was several years ago...they seemed to have ceased this practice in favor of increasing articulation to their more popular 7" lines.

NECA did make 7" Kick Ass figures... but wasn't the 12" Kick Ass figures made by Mezco?

And I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm trying to properly access the future of POTA products. The reality is the Planet of the Apes collecting world isn't big enough to support a healthy figure line... in any scale. We couldn't support the 12" Sideshow line. The sales of the Hot Toys gorillas were solid but not enough to inspire them to make anymore. Hot Toys have bigger fish to fry. Word is still out on the Pop Culture Shock 1/4 scale statues on whether that line will actually BE a line and not just a VERY expensive one off. And now NECA... who I thought was our last best hope of attaining a fruitful line, is applying the breaks to their line due to lack luster sales.

So, yeah, it's hard to stay positive about Apes hold in the marketplace.

Last edited:
Whether the V was sized up or not, it was 12". I would have bought 12" versions of their 7" just for the sculpts.
Yes, Hot Toys was the best hope for the best POTA figures. Unfortunately, Marvel and Batman sell better/quicker.
The last "official" word that I heard was that they weren't necessarily finished with it, although time has told a different tale.

From what I hear, they have ceased their sizing up practices in favor of providing better quality to their stronger lines... the 7" and 1:4 figure lines. I think that practice cheapens their brand and I think they came to the same conclusion. I'm sure branching out like that to other scales had diminishing returns. Instead they have decided to increase detail and articulation to their 7" base lines.

Back then their figures (Harry Potter being the prime example) were nothing but glorified statues with no actual usable articulation. They have come a LONG way since then in usable articulation... the way they both increase and hide articulation in their modern figures is simply amazing.

And their 1:4 scale are no longer just sized up abominations. There are some truly amazing pieces they have created that are simply breathtaking. Have you seen their 1:4 Batman Returns Penguin that they are about to release? Stunning. Too bad we will never get that level a 1:4 scale gorilla... that would be one massive monkey!

Last edited:
So the 3-pack is going to be available at random TRU stores in mid July (I hate the random part by the way), and they should also be available through NECA's online store?

Back