NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just looking at Aliens for reference on what the tables for the stasis tubes should look like - you don't get a good look at them really - but anyway I've ended up leaving the film on and I'm at the point where they confiscate the ammo from everyone. As we know Vasquez simply takes out a hidden cartridge and loads back up....and she continues to take point with her smart gun. Wtf? Shouldn't they have had Hicks go in first with his shotgun or someone with a flamethrower? What use is Vasquez going to be with an (as far as the others know) empty smartgun?

It was the power pack for the smartgun, but Yes, one of many scenes that bother me, one of those enjoy and don't Annalise.

Why are both squads making incursion from the same point, not parallel or different angles,
Why are both machine gunner side by side when "$%^# hits fan", not taking different positions providing OLFF.
Why is each members load out only one magazine ( granted 96 rounds each / but only 3 mags comparable), after seeing damaged at Hadley from small arms fire and seismic chargers.
ETC ETC ETC
That why I watch and dont dissect most plots... If the plots are to bad I just turn off and make customs haha

It was the power pack for the smartgun, but Yes, one of many scenes that bother me, one of those enjoy and don't Annalise.
but I'd still want a loaded weapon up front.

:slap
people, do you even watch the movie?
some say that aliens ran into sentry guns, while they just tried to take a peak to understand what is happening there.
some say that smart gun operators are useless without ammo, while they are the main instrument of territory reconnaissance.

Last edited:
That information isn't actually in the movie. If you say the Smart gun has capabilities and uses beyond just being a gun I believe you, but the movie itself doesn't provide this information - I presume it comes from novelisations and games, pardon me for not being read up on these things. And the point remains, in that situation you still would want to have a permissible weapon up front alongside the smartgun when the smartgunner has been told they cannot fire their weapon, not only 'told' but apparently even their ability to fire is disabled :dunno

And memyselfi mentioned that it was the power-pack Vasquez and Drake removed (and then secretly replaced) rather than actual ammunition? So with no power-pack can it even operate any of these other features like IFF and auto-aim?

Last edited:
That information isn't actually in the movie. If you say the Smart gun has capabilities and uses beyond just being a gun I believe you, but the movie itself doesn't provide this information - I presume it comes from novelisations and games, pardon me for not being read up on these things. And the point remains, in that situation you still would want to have a permissible weapon up front alongside the smartgun when the smartgunner has been told they cannot fire their weapon, not only 'told' but apparently even their ability to fire is disabled :dunno

And memyselfi mentioned that it was the power-pack Vasquez and Drake removed (and then secretly replaced) rather than actual ammunition? So with no power-pack can it even operate any of these other features like IFF and auto-aim?
:slap
too lazy to explain and feel no need for it, sorry, you're totally wrong but it's your trouble :)

I never researched it until now. I always just assumed that the component that Vaz and Drake were ordered to remove from the smartgun was a battery pack or some type of controller assembly. I found the diagrams below on Xenopedia. The first one shows the actual ammo drum and the second shows the battery pack.

SmartGun1.jpg

SmartGun2.jpg

I have no idea what you're even disagreeing with P.. Part of me is thinking you've completely missed the point I was making somehow. Although I thought I was clear enough.

I never researched it until now. I always assumed that the component that Vaz and Drake were ordered to remove from the smartgun was a battery pack or some type of controller assembly. I found the diagrams below on Xenopedia. The first one shows the actual ammo drum and the second shows the battery pack.

View attachment 289057

View attachment 289058

Whatever it was, the intent is obviously that now she and Drake will no longer be able to fire their weapons. So I guess it makes perfect sense to put them on the frontline as they go deeper into the Alien hive. :dunno

Whatever it was, the intent is obviously that now she and Drake will no longer be able to fire their weapons. So I guess it makes perfect sense to put them on the frontline as they go deeper into the Alien hive. :dunno

I think that Vaz had point for most ops. Entering the complex, the hive, etc. They were probably just keeping their assigned positions since they were all basically disarmed. Only Vaz and Drake knew that they were still ready to rock and roll.

I think that Vaz had point for most ops. Entering the complex, the hive, etc. They were probably just keeping their assigned positions since they were all basically disarmed. Only Vaz and Drake knew that they were still ready to rock and roll.

Evidently that's what they did, I'm just saying it surely wasn't wise.

They weren't all totally disarmed - Hick's shotgun, some of them had flamethrowers, some had sidearms - that's better than nothing which is what - as far as they knew - Vasquez had - nothing. Drake had a flamethrower aswell but he continued with the smartgun by default because he knew it was fully operational and had every intention of using it.

My point is you'd think Gorman or Apone, assuming that their orders had been followed, would reorganise and at least make sure that people at vital strategic points had weapons that could be used. By now it was clear that they were entering a hostile situation.

Evidently that's what they did, I'm just saying it surely wasn't wise.

They weren't all totally disarmed - Hick's shotgun, some of them had flamethrowers, some had sidearms - that's better than nothing which is what - as far as they knew - Vasquez had - nothing. Drake had a flamethrower aswell but he continued with the smartgun by default because he knew it was fully operational and had every intention of using it.

My point is you'd think Gorman or Apone, assuming that their orders had been followed, would reorganise and at least make sure that people at vital strategic points had weapons that could be used. By now it was clear that they were entering a hostile situation.

I get you. However, what makes logical sense to the viewer doesn't always make for an entertaining movie scene. Example: Move Vaz off point to a different position in the hive and she could not have done a muzzle sweep cut down on the Xenos with her smartgun while screaming Lets Rock!!!

Its like the slasher horror movies from the 80's. Everyone in the audience yelling "Don't go in there you dummy, your gonna die!!! And we all know what the character did anyway :lol

If that's the point P. was making I would have perfectly accepted it but I get the impression there's something else since P. is all about technical detail. I'd like to hear it. When people facepalm at me, act like I'm an idiot and then decline to say why that is so, well, I don't take that so well. And I don't know why he would take that attitude - he should know I'm willing to be corrected on such matters.

(erased) i really just don't want to make a long explanation with my short language pack.
smartgunners have equipment for exploration (the name of the gun _and_ the use of it - letting a smartgunner look into every unknown area before others go there), others don't see more than a human eye, they have hostage people ahead and either no hostiles or hostiles hidden between people. flamethrowers and sidearms are useless. smart gunners cannot move inside a crowd (long guns) and are useless behind it. Hicks was told to cover from behind (with a shotgun) where there are no humans (they were all monitored by Hudson in one place). there was no need to change formation.

the battery issue, if it is really a battery for the entire system, causes a problem with a smartgunner still using its exploration capabilities. it still wouldn't make any difference who goes after whom (people in front, nobody around them) - except for no reason for a smartgunner to hide in a middle a crowd, beating everybody with his gun.

if the battery disables the whole system, then the scene is more stupid than you even said: Apone looks at two smartgunners who should throw their guns away but still wield them like they are working.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the tracking and targetting system for the smartguns is independent of firing - both Drake and Vasquez proceed with the targeting monocle in place.
Not much use without power and a definite liability.

Do you think if they ever do Alien 5 or a Colonial Marines spin off film that the smart gun may make a comeback but with a modern update ? And I hope its not like the pulse rifles with the target red light that Neil thought up.

I would hope both Pulse rifles and Smart guns put in an appearance. Having Colonial Marines without their signature weapons is like Ghostbusters without Proton Packs.

Can't say I would appreciate a modern update. They are iconic for a reason and again 1984 Ghostbusters equipment compared to 2016.

YMMV of course.

whilst we are on the subject of Smart Guns - Is NECA going to be allowed to make Drake's gun 100% accurate at retail?

DSC_0151.jpg

Surely it won't be a problem, can't think of any other examples apart from the Kick Ass figures but that was different because it was on the actual packaging

and yes I believe we will get Drake. Matter of when not if.

Back