NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to wait on Newt. I wanted both the cloaked Scar predator and Newt exclusives, but I wasn't willing to pay $120+ for 2 NECA figures. So I took what I considered the safe gamble and bought the cloaked Scar predator on eBay for $60. Randy has tweeted numerous times that he is working on a plan B for a Newt release. At this point I'm pretty confident that we will get Newt at retail at some point.

The contradiction is if Newt can be released to retail in any capacity - why wasn't that Plan A?

Don't sell yourself short. Yes, I have a very diverse collection, including three lifesize, but I must admit, I am a little envious of the countless variations that you and P. have. I've got too many interests to go above six MMS136s or 238s.

Your collection wouldn't be easily replicated though. Mine pretty much would with a couple of exceptions. That's not to say I'm not happy with my collection. I've adjusted my parameters over the years to a point where I can deal with not having certain things.

The contradiction is if Newt can be released to retail in any capacity - why wasn't that Plan A?

Your collection wouldn't be easily replicated though. Mine pretty much would with a couple of exceptions. That's not to say I'm not happy with my collection. I've adjusted my parameters over the years to a point where I can deal with not having certain things.

My guess is at the beginning they thought the praise for the figure was not that big enough for a mass retail release and so announced her as an SDCC exclusive without thinking about just how much Newt means to a lot of fans from the series. Randy may have thought that as SDCC release would of been enough really to satisfy those who really wanted a Newt in their collection.

I expect that the mass aggravation fans showed him on twitter and other media told Randy and Co that there was indeed more people that they thought wanted Newt for their collections and so that was when they began work on this supposed plan B. Whether or not this was planned all along or really just something they are cooking up now is up in the air.

Another thing that may have made them decide to keep Newt an SDCC figure only is to stop parent groups bitching about a child being represented in a horror franchise line. I mean, look at the flack some lines have gotten being on TRU shelves in the past.

The contradiction is if Newt can be released to retail in any capacity - why wasn't that Plan A

Correct I hope no-one is thinking we will just simply get Newt at retail.

We will all get another chance at Newt and it will be cheaper / more available than the SDCC version but there still b some sort of exclusivity or a "but" that allows this to happen.

That's why people that did purchase an SDCC Newt shouldn't worry about this. Just that they might want to consider opening up the more available / cheaper one instead.

These are some ways Newt could get released:

Two-pack Retail
Limited run Retail
Toys r us exclusive

Limited run Online exclusive
Lootcrate Exclusive
Some of deluxe boxed release? Hive bundle etc?

I think Newt as a regular release would still be a peg warmer even with the current buzz generating. But for those of us that have invested a lot into the line Newt is pretty much essential. I think the best most popular option would be the two-pack.

Even that could have been plan A though. How many of us have suggested that option for Newt and also for John Connor in the T2 line?

If it happens then great. But it will make me scratch my head

Very true. Does make you wonder, Could be that it's going to be quite limited then compared to something like a two-pack at retail.

From their point of view they have tooled a 100% new figure and only used it once as a SDCC exclusive Limited to 3000

Granted tooling and likeness costs wouldn't of broken the bank on this figure. But Its probable that they always intended to reuse the sculpt again at some point down the line in some form or another.

Perhaps originally thought as a couple of years away, the recent outcry and somewhat demand has pushed to try and get Newt released sooner rather than later.

Given the whole Newt fiasco, do you think this will make NECA think twice about making a core character a con exclusive and instead just do a repaint or reissue of a current figure with maybe a new accessory or two ?

I still think they should have made Shaw a SDCC exclusive last year...bummer they didnt.

That would actually make a pretty good exclusive with a main character though. She's a main but from a film thats quite divided in opinion so the want for her would not be is as high as for a universally loved film character, plus she is still something unique and not released mass retail so she retains some exclusivity.

CbWpm0XW8AAoxQw.jpg

when will we see queen facehugger and chesburster? :(

...more like an infant Queen than a chestburster :p They'll be out next year with the Alien³ creature pack
well, A3 bamby chestburster had fully developed arms and legs :)
i guess that hugger won't fit my 1/6 collection sadly, but queen is a musthave.

I still think they should have made Shaw a SDCC exclusive last year...bummer they didnt.

...that's actually a good idea. Hope Covenant does enough business to reconsider some new Prometheus stuff

I asked them this question a couple of years ago but they said as it's a brand new sculpt it would require 100% new tooling and so they wouldn't even be able to recoup costs. Cough*Newt*Cough

To be fair Newt's like half a figure though.

Couple of old but interesting tweets about Shaw:

Tweet: Since Shaw is in the movie--is it possible we may finally see her shelved figure released?
Neca: Makes it more likely but we still know nothing about her actual role, look, involvement etc

Tweet: Randy, what's your personal biggest upset of product that fell through. Mine is Sweeney Todd, would have been killer!
Neca: hmmm, they all sting. The Ring, O Ren, Xerxes, Shaw & Vickers, and most of all Classic Apes

Makes me soo sad that we never got Shaw or Vickers, but at least Randy feels the same way. More chance of at least Shaw happening one day, seems like it all depends on how big her role is in Covenant now....

I finally secured my Wayland Commando figure. I hope to grab him tomorrow when I go to see the Nu Star Trek movie.

I am way to hyped for this figure.

Last edited:
Back