NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has probably been asked and answered by those in the know, but not having seen it while glancing thru the thread: the section of Nostromo corridor we saw used in NECA's toy display, is that actually planned to be a released thing? Or is it just something they cobbled together for display?

According to Neca's twitter page they are using a new factory for Series 3, apparently the first series and genocide were great (??) but they cut corners on some of series 2 and the hicks two pack.

Erm weren't the genocide figs plagued by the super glued crotches? Pretty sure the entire line has been a qc nightmare

my genocide 2 pack is perfect. However the 79 Alien knee joint was stuck. I think it is due to the paint. Neca assembled the figure before the paint dried fully.

As for Alien queen, any indication of how big it is going to be? bigger or smaller compared to Mcfarlane's?

YysSA1O.jpg

This has probably been asked and answered by those in the know, but not having seen it while glancing thru the thread: the section of Nostromo corridor we saw used in NECA's toy display, is that actually planned to be a released thing? Or is it just something they cobbled together for display?

It was a commissioned piece for their display only.

my genocide 2 pack is perfect. However the 79 Alien knee joint was stuck. I think it is due to the paint. Neca assembled the figure before the paint dried fully.

As for Alien queen, any indication of how big it is going to be? bigger or smaller compared to Mcfarlane's?

They keep swearing that it will be properly scaled with the rest of the figures, which should make it a fair bit bigger.

YysSA1O.jpg

Nice photo! :wink1:

P4220266.jpg
P4260306.jpg
P4260303.jpg

The Reverend's beautiful Aliens Hadley's Hope diorama arrived safely in the UK last week. At the moment, it's overrun with Predators but this is a short term situation.

As it's a beast (36" in length, 14" deep and 16" high), I've moved it around my man cave a number of times to find a spot where it sits comfortably and it's now positioned against a wall rather than the middle of the room. In the last few days, my Predator army has camped out on the top of the the diorama to avoid accidental breakages but as it's in front of a radiator, I'm wondering what the long term effects could be on my figures.

Has anybody a similar experience with their figures in respect of heat? Have to admit, the Aliens and Predators seem resilient (I've had to boil my Alien 1979 to free up his "frozen" appendages) and many a figure has been introduced to the hairdryer to loosen up joints.

Anyway, here are a few pics. Apologies for the quality, I'm desperately in need of a better camera or mobile.

During Sigourney Weaver's panel to close out the Calgary Expo she was asked specifically about finally granting her likeness rights to an action figure and the approval process. It was an interesting answer. I'll try to find hard quotes when i get home (still at airport) but the way I took it was that she admitted she didnt "get it". It never occurred to her in the early stages that she was in a full blown franchise with demand for such things. It was never important to her but now that she has seen the "art" that these figures have evolved into and has felt the demand she did feel like it was the right time. I believe her about not quite being plugged in because she ended the answer by saying she hopes her figure has "different outfits like barbie". So, eh. The point is she is on board! She came across as a very cool woman. I think any negative rep she has gotten is due to her "handlers".

Super cool dio and collection. Love the dio. I have a dio from him it's good solid work

Cheers! Hope to add another dio to my room in the not too distant future.

That is an awesome dio

Many thanks, Eterniandreams.

If anybody has experience of positioning figures near a heat source (e.g. my radiator), please let me know.

During Sigourney Weaver's panel to close out the Calgary Expo she was asked specifically about finally granting her likeness rights to an action figure and the approval process. It was an interesting answer. I'll try to find hard quotes when i get home (still at airport) but the way I took it was that she admitted she didnt "get it". It never occurred to her in the early stages that she was in a full blown franchise with demand for such things. It was never important to her but now that she has seen the "art" that these figures have evolved into and has felt the demand she did feel like it was the right time. I believe her about not quite being plugged in because she ended the answer by saying she hopes her figure has "different outfits like barbie". So, eh. The point is she is on board! She came across as a very cool woman. I think any negative rep she has gotten is due to her "handlers".

:yess: :yess: :yess:

Well, maybe she was thinking about Hot Toys on that last part - perhaps she was shown examples of what Hot Toys are putting out and signed up for that aswell. :pray:

Anywho, received the Hudson VS warrior 2 pack today. As always, incredible sculpts - Hudson looks bang-on to me. The paint is alright I guess other than what you mentioned with the helmet bigbisont. And the graffiti on the helmet on mine is barely visible. His legs are loose as **** at the hips and his left calve is warped - cheers twisty ties, proving more a detriment than anything else as usual.

The Alien is actually the least warped one I've ever received, by some miracle. So its even more a shame it had to happen with Hudson.

Its a bittersweet line. So awesome that we've finally got a company going pretty comprehensively into these movies, making a variety of human characters aswell for a change....and yet, they're flimsy as **** and/or poorly painted.

@bigbisont: great report!
@a-dev: yeah imo NECA sadly really dropped their ball on this line :( Loose and/or tight joints, sloppy paint apps in some cases and what not.
I for one hoping that they really listen to all their fans and rise thier QC in time for Ripley AND the Alien Queen. Would be soooo cool to have them without the QC-issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling Ripley, being a female figure, is going to suffer even moreso from the flimsy feel the rest of the line has had.

But on a less complaining note, NECA sure could milk the bejaysus out of this. Hicks and Hudson could get more variants if they were so inclined -

Sub Level 3 battle Hudson (before his arm is bandaged)
Neutral face, helmetless Hudson (with fluffier, sticky uppy hair)
Operations battle Hicks (with headset only - screaming face again?)
Acid-sprayed Hicks (removeable armour?)

Then all the other marines and possible variants there aswell. Single figures, more multipacks with Aliens, Alien eggs and facehuggers, sentry guns etc etc

making a variety of human characters aswell for a change

You mean 3 characters? :wink1:

I was so excited for the line but if it isn't going beyond Hicks, Hudson and Ripley then I'm not interested. I don't even need the whole platoon but I would love it if they did. For me all I need is Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez and Gorman as I see them as the 'main' marines of the movies. Yet we can't even get that. It doesn't look like we are getting any other marines. All I have ever wanted for my Aliens collection has been bloody Marines. So close yet so far. The poor QC is just the icing on this disappointing cake :(

Bishop, Kane (albeit without likeness), Dallas, Alien 3 Mercs. Granted that's spread over 3 films. I feel optimistic though that they'll do more marines, maybe not Apone due to issues with Al Matthews but Vasquez and Drake at least. Gorman would be nice too but yeah I'm not sure I see him happening.

I'd love to be able to build that whole Aliens cast photo - the one with Ripley standing in the middle, hands on hips and all the marines, Bishop and Burke around her - but I don't expect they'll go so far.

Bishop, Kane (albeit without likeness), Dallas, Alien 3 Mercs. Granted that's spread over 3 films. I feel optimistic though that they'll do more marines, maybe not Apone due to issues with Al Matthews but Vasquez and Drake at least. Gorman would be nice too but yeah I'm not sure I see him happening.

I'd love to be able to build that whole Aliens cast photo - the one with Ripley standing in the middle, hands on hips and all the marines, Bishop and Burke around her - but I don't expect they'll go so far.

I think I have NECA figured out for human characters. I know their "formula". At least I think I know it for their "fan boy" lines. Their new release movie lines obviously have their own rules. This came up in the Hot Toys aliens thread as well. In modern movies, likenesses of a character are usually predetermined into contracts and movie rights include likenesses of the characters. For most modern movies, when you get the movie rights, you can make the characters with the actors faces all day. However, back in the 80s, the actors often owned their own likeness. It was something that had to be negotiated separate from having the movie license. Understanding this, you sort of see why new crap is so much easier to get made *CoughHungerGamesCough*

But for older movies, where NECA has to buy the likenesses separate each time, they want to get their money's worth out of it, and understandably so.
Look at who they have actually paid in these "fan boy" lines of older movies:

-Arnold: Goodness gracious, how many figures? 8? 9? Theoretically still counting? One face fee, multiple figures.
-Sigourney Weaver: Only 1 confirmed, but you just KNOW they will get at minimum 4 figures of her. Probably more. Lets be honest.
-Bruce Campbell: At least 6 figurs, still going with the Retro ones coming out.
-Lance Henrickson: At least 2 confirmed (regular bishop and torn in half), plus options to do AvP and Alien 3 if they want. The point is multiple figures.
-Michael Biehn: 2 Hicks figures so far with hints the racal ops battle could be coming. Plus his terminator figures.
-Paxton: 2 figures so far. As A-Dev said, multiple figures still possible. I know I would buy a pre-burned, $&!+ eating grin cocky figure.

The you look at their other character figures they make.
-Alien 3 Merc: no likeness rights so its still relatively cheap. Project is a go.
-Cain: no likeness rights. Project is a go.
-Entire lineup of Predators. ALL OF THEM: No Likeness rights, reusable molds, they can't pump them out fast enough.
-Deadites: No likeness rights, so why not dabble? They did a few.

So seeing all this, I think we can guess what to expect. When you say "They should make...." we should all think, can they turn this face into 4+ different figures? Or can at least 2 variants sell well enough? One-offs will never happen when a likeness has to be purchased separate.

If Al Mathews says "I want what you paid Biehn/Paxton". I don't blame Al. He is asking to be treated equal, but NECA can't make 3 Apone figures let alone expect them to sell on the same level. It is in this dynamic I now see that most of our wish list figures are never gonna happen.

Although I will say I think Vasquez has to be coming. I think she has the fan demand to drive sales and there can be 2 figures easy (full smart gun rig, and rest of the movie setup). Only 2 varients, but I think the sales will flourish, so i truly believe she has a shot.

Last edited:
Back