NECA 1/4 Scale TMNT 1990's Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I haven't posted here before so hopefully I'm doing it properly...

I wanted to clear up something at the top of page (THX)1138, which said Tokka was inaccurate. Of course, if you look hard enough you can probably find something inaccurate on anything. But these were pretty big errors, and I knew I counted the shoulder spikes and made sure they were right, I was even doing my best to get the ripple patterns around each spike base to be accurate. So the photo was really messing with me since my sculpt apparently didn't match. I even wondered if Neca removed a spike, maybe to allow more movement. Then I realized the problem: the second photo is flipped, and Tokka has different spike numbers/patterns on each shoulder-- 5 on his right, 6 on his left. He's asymmetrical. Flipped images like this can really drive sculptors crazy... even shots in a movie can be flipped.

The second sculpt related concern is a little easier to resolve. The chest/neck flesh does look a lot more exposed in the movie, but the figure has articulation that lets you recreate the look. The whole chest/upper torso of the figure is a large ball shape, and you can push the shoulders back towards the shell, revealing a lot more of the chest area. Hope that makes sense.

Also, in the movie he can move his neck lower near his chest-shell (plastron?), you can see it like this when they first are revealed. After David Warner says "they're not stupid, they're infants", Rahzar bonks him on the head with a big metal pipe. His neck is in this low position at the moment, although the skin is more crumpled since it's a flexible costume and not a plastic toy.

Hope I cleared things up.

Last edited:

I wanted to clear up something at the top of page (THX)1138, which said Tokka was inaccurate. Of course, if you look hard enough you can probably find something inaccurate on anything. But these were pretty big errors, and I knew I counted the shoulder spikes and made sure they were right, I was even doing my best to get the ripple patterns around each spike base to be accurate. So the photo was really messing with me since my sculpt apparently didn't match. I even wondered if Neca removed a spike, maybe to allow more movement. Then I realized the problem: the second photo is flipped, and Tokka has different spike numbers/patterns on each shoulder-- 5 on his right, 6 on his left. He's asymmetrical. Flipped images like this can really drive sculptors crazy... even shots in a movie can be flipped.

The second sculpt related concern is a little easier to resolve. The chest/neck flesh does look a lot more exposed in the movie, but the figure has articulation that lets you recreate the look. The whole chest/upper torso of the figure is a large ball shape, and you can push the shoulders back towards the shell, revealing a lot more of the chest area. Hope that makes sense.

Also, in the movie he can move his neck lower near his chest-shell (plastron?), you can see it like this when hey first are revealed. After David Warner says "they're not stupid, they're infants", Rahzar bonks him on the head with a big metal pipe. His neck is in this low position at the moment, although the skin is more crumpled since it's a flexible costume and not a plastic toy.

Awesome info, thanks for your work!!!

Sounds good. He has torso articulation/range similar to the Turtles themselves.

P. will be delighted to get such a response from the sculptor himself.

Wow! Thank you Jason, for clearing that up and for all of your hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Loot Launcher set featuring the Spirit of Splinter figure. The figure is nice. The rest of the box is fine, but it’s all Foot items (Foot pin, patch, bandana, shirt). I would have liked more of a variety of items, but I’m okay with what was included.

Also, in the movie he can move his neck lower near his chest-shell (plastron?), you can see it like this when they first are revealed. After David Warner says "they're not stupid, they're infants", Rahzar bonks him on the head with a big metal pipe. His neck is in this low position at the moment, although the skin is more crumpled since it's a flexible costume and not a plastic toy.

i reeeally appreciate that answer, and it perfectly covers all my worries, plus after reading it i could appreciate even more details about the sculpt which i wouldn't notice otherwise. like poseable pieces of plastic "fabric" on his forearms or the way you noticed that his opposed thumb isn't actually opposed. great job! thank you! Tokka is probably my favourite childhood monster, and you made it really great.
i just hope Neca will fix the throat paint from yellow to white.

P. will be delighted to get such a response from the sculptor himself.
i'm seriously thinking about making a screenshot of it and boasting about it in future :lecture

After receiving my 2 Footsoldiers I immediately ordered another 6.

IPg5Kg8.gif

The Turtles should be outnumbered. 2 Footsoldiers per Turtle seems like a nice enough ratio.

I am doing the same but I am 3 to 1 ratio right now...thinking of going 4

Was it ever established that the 1/4 scale line for ‘90 TMNT is dead?

NECA tweeted right after toy fair to someone that 1990 1/4" IS NOT DONE...but that is it...no other hints or teases...

I don’t collect the 1/4th figures, but I believe a YouTuber (not sure who) had asked about the quarter scale figures during Toy Fair and was told more are coming. Maybe they’ll be at SDCC. Seems likely that they’ll do Splinter and Casey Jones seeing as they’ve done 1/4th and 7“ for all the other movie figures.

I knew I would want these figures but I didn't know just how much until I saw them... your work on these is immaculate, you should really be proud of them, they're insane. I'm looking forward to making a proper display for them

Made a new base for my TMNT diorama, went for a wetter look and used more browns to wash it (previous one was greys)

89532068_1625954464208977_8152578566169559040_o.jpg

89031612_1625964247541332_6504878495510822912_o.jpg

89637606_1625965084207915_5114769732674781184_o.jpg

88228542_1625964817541275_2110678673081237504_o.jpg

89408334_1625965547541202_3278298105530810368_o.jpg

89395423_1625964474207976_5058324340462845952_o.jpg

So I got a response from Randy himself on Twitter about if anymore new 1/4 scale figures in the future and he replied, “more in the works”. Just hang tough guys! There’s more coming!

So I got a response from Randy himself on Twitter about if anymore new 1/4 scale figures in the future and he replied, “more in the works”. Just hang tough guys! There’s more coming!

"Hang tough." The Japanese macaque, also known as the snow monkey is a native of Japan, and they are known to hang tough!! As we know, Oroku-Saki also known as the Shredder is a native of Japan! He too was hanging tough at the end of the film, but the reason he was hanging was because of the rat, so the next figure could be Splinter. But after hanging tough, Shredder eventually falls, because man is mortal and always falls, and Casey Jones was there to catch him, so clearly, the next figure could be Casey Jones. But hanging tough could also be a reference to the deleted/alternate ending scene, where the turtles were hanging tough outside a building, and that scene was about a comic, so the next figure could easily be a 1/4 comic book style turtle! Ha-ha! He gave everything away! Randy fell victim to one of the classic blunders!!

z4Fjip4.gif

What else could they even make in 1/4th ? Battle damaged turtles would sell, Casey would, splinter would but who else?

I?d imagine Soto turtles wouldn?t sell as well as the 90s turtles at all so the only option I can see is like turtles with different headsculpts and accessories from the second movie. The toon turtles are 1/4th and I?m sure they?ll sell great along with shredder. I can?t really think of anybody else

Back