NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Neca 1/4 Predator

wow hadnt been in this thread in a bit but the pic Elder posted pushed me to preorder this bad mofo, the unmaked mandibles closed one for now and since i have my hot toys pred with his bio on i thought this was the obvious choice and unfortunately the only one i'll get. hope what we get is indeed what the pic shows which is pure awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!

Spineless bastard! :lol
Good. That way you won't mind when this bad boy rips yours out along with your skull.
implied-facepalm.jpg

its not just SSC though...................HT, GG, HCG, etc, they all post pics from different angles so the customer has a good idea what their getting. Theres still a lot up in the air on this piece, not to mention, they have only showed a pic of one of the head sculpts, theres still 2 more that we havent seen.

So you're like a constant downer huh?

I agree with the idea that more views would be nice, BUT, this isn't your normal situation.

We're benefitting here, most of the time, NECA would be going through all of these steps and no one would have a clue, you'd see from A to B with proto and production. They're making a big deal of this figure and have chosen to take the avid collectors along the ride with them to see things in progress. While we're all in awe of each point, this figure is still a WIP, the actual shipping figure hasn't been reached yet, and until they've arrived at that, we'll continue to get these quick glimpses that are good enough to show they're on the right track, but they're not going to show anything off in great detail until they're at or very close to what will be put in people's hands.

We'll get plenty of angles and looks once the end product is just about set, until then, we're just getting nice fan favors, and while it sucks we get only an angle or two, reality is, we're getting much more than we normally do with most products. Even Sideshow and Hot Toys don't show you photos along the way of making things, you get what their prototype looks like, and usually, if there's any big difference, a look at the final, shipping product.

Personally, I like the look of the figure in that pic more than the 12" two-up we saw at Toy Fair 2010. The different paintjob works well on the figure, so it doesn't look as yellow-pale and bland. Plus it also leaves ground to the muscle shading we now see. The lighter brown colors just make the figure pop more IMO.

Fortunately, I'm not a Predator super freak to know all the ins and outs of the coloring on all of the parts, never even knew about the camo on the armor, so my expectation is a very basic overall look to be right and this totally fills that, great sculpt and a paint job to match it.

I agree with the idea that more views would be nice, BUT, this isn't your normal situation.

We're benefitting here, most of the time, NECA would be going through all of these steps and no one would have a clue, you'd see from A to B with proto and production. They're making a big deal of this figure and have chosen to take the avid collectors along the ride with them to see things in progress. While we're all in awe of each point, this figure is still a WIP, the actual shipping figure hasn't been reached yet, and until they've arrived at that, we'll continue to get these quick glimpses that are good enough to show they're on the right track, but they're not going to show anything off in great detail until they're at or very close to what will be put in people's hands.

We'll get plenty of angles and looks once the end product is just about set, until then, we're just getting nice fan favors, and while it sucks we get only an angle or two, reality is, we're getting much more than we normally do with most products. Even Sideshow and Hot Toys don't show you photos along the way of making things, you get what their prototype looks like, and usually, if there's any big difference, a look at the final, shipping product.

Werd:goodpost:

What's the usual production amount companies make of figures?

Does 15,000 seem too few?

If demand is big for this guy (I can't really say I understand the supply and demand of the action figure world tbh) why doesn't NECA market the hell outta him?

Wait until you have it in hand like I do right now. It's so bad ass and as the sculptor I couldn't be happier about it. Such a dream come true for me and I can't wait unit you get yours.

tankman, who get's to keep all the test figures and the final painted version? Do you as the sculptor or does NECA keep them in storage?

I don't know how long you have been a fan of NECA or how old you are but this IS the standard stunts the neca pulls. I can smell the BS a mile away. There is NO possible way that 15000 units will be on the shelves in March if they are still only at the tweaking stage at this point so I have to call BS and say necas at it again. hyping something up and putting up pre orders so people buy this thing before the truth comes out and all the complaining starts because one person got a good one and another got one with googly eyes or smudge and stuck or broken joints but by that point they have their money and they can blame the rest on the factory when it was really them in the first place that cut corners by having a lower per unit cost and the factory just accommodated them with a product that matched that price. They wouldn't even be tweaking the paint at this point or the first batch would look different from later ones and thats just not going to happen if they are to be available in March. Common sense just dictates that you cant be fixing something when production would be in full swing. That photo is a paint master at best and the close ups we got of the paint masters wrist computer showed just how sloppy the paint was and we can expect exactly the same or probably worse than that on the production pieces. There are definitely a few morons in this thread that are hyping this thing up beyond all expectations and totally disregarding necas history of false claims and horrible production pieces. Tankmans claims that this is going to be the best action figure ever are just so plainly stupid because you can bet the farm that neca isnt going to pull this off the way we would like to see it and its going to be sloppy and poorly executed so they could save a few cents per figure. Sad but true and after all this BS I have even less faith that neca is going to do the right things by real fans and make this the best that they could. Neca makes lots of money and we get a 3rd rate P1 and yet another opportunity is wasted for neca to raise their status as a manufacturer of genuinely high quality products and not junk that only looks good when viewed from afar. Im afraid that this one is going to be for kids that like big things that look good rather than serious fans of P1 that wanted something that would equal anything on the market. Sure there are going to be customs but that doesnt count and does nothing for necas name. I bet any of the totally blind neca trolls in this thread will heap praise on it no matter what because thats the agenda in this thread we should all just heap praise on neca and say the sculpt is the best when you cant even make out any of the finer details because the crappy photos we do have dont give us a true impression of what it actually looks like. Forget about seeing any of the paint apps because that not important when pre ordering. Forget about showing us anything in detail. That attitude just encourages neca to do the wrong thing because they just think that people will buy it no matter what so why bother refining anything and its too late now anyway. A 2nd or 3rd rate products is my prediction based on necas past and we have many of you guys to thank for not being objective and voicing a true opinion. That recent photo makes the P!s face look like a clown with the lack of coloration around the mandibles and bright pink inner mouth. But who knows really because it out in May and we have nothing to go on other than some ____ photos.

Whether you agree with each other or not, do not be disrespectful towards others for having the opinion they do. So long as people are civil, they are allowed to share their opinions here.

Great moderating job. Obviously a bunch of simpletons attacking someone for expressing their thoughts is tolerated here so its actually the exact opposite of what you said about people being allowed to express opinion with out the personal insults when thats exactly what is allowed to happen. I read at least 7 or more comments made after your request so they could give a ____ about what you have to say and are allowed to keep filling the forum with their troll BS with impunity and are in fact encouraged by your lack of action to continue doing it so you will reap what you sow there when you let dumbasses like them run a forum. People will vanish and only these idiots will remain for you to moderate. Way to empower some morons and encourage them. Maybe I missed something here but I doubt it.

Last edited:

So you're like a constant downer huh?

He's a realist, there's a difference.

"GRINDHOUSE: Death Proof" Stuntman Mike from NECA

PROTOTYPE
32027largenv6.jpg

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_cc7_3.jpg

Credit: Michael Crawford

PROTOTYPE
32026largetx0.jpg

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_cc7_7.jpg

That's why most people want to see in-hand pics before getting excited when it comes to products from them. And that's just one example.

NECA has no one to blame but themselves for the skepticism their company name and products raise amongst collectors.

I just Hope it turns out great and exactly like the photos being released because Predator fans are almost as bloodthirsty and crazy as the creature itself in the films.

Some even more so. Call them "Yautja" or "Hish" and watch CelticP go nuts for example. :lol:lol:lol

Thats really quite a severe drop in quality isn't it? Such an excellent prototype - dead-on Kurt Russell......to what it ended up being.

Makes you wonder if NECA's prototype shots are of the 2 ups, if so, that's pretty stupid on their part, as the 7" versions will always be lesser in detail, regardless of paint differences, even just the sculpt will differ from the shrinking process.

The only way these arguments about this figure will end is when we see in hand shots of the production figures.

1. NECA wins!

or

2. NECA fails!

We will have to wait untill it's released to find out...

NECA can really nail this if they want to, it's up to them to do it, but will they?

They can only nail it so much, I think they'll fight to get the best they can out of the factory, but, the best the factory will give them for what NECA'll pay on this and all will be limited. I'm sure this'll turn out better than some of their other efforts, and at least on the NECA figures I've purchased, the paint hasn't been terrible, not outstanding, but not the worse, of course, I am aware of NECA's worse. Even a glorified version of the 7" Classic paint wouldn't be horrible, it's still a decently painted, awesomely sculpted P1 that's 18" tall.

I was very close to buying this after seeing NECA's pic on Twitter today, I went to order it from Forbidden Planet but they've jacked the price up from £59.99 to £71.99 think I'll sadly pass.

Like I said, Stuntman Mike is just one example. You want "bigger" examples? Fine.

18" Pirates of the Caribbean Captain Teague from NECA

PROTO
Capt.%20Teague.jpg

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_18teague_large.jpg

review_18teague_3.jpg

18" Beetlejuice from NECA

PROTO
beetlejuice2.jpg

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_18beetlejuice_5.jpg

review_18beetlejuice_4.jpg

review_18beetlejuice_6.jpg

*NOTE

This post was in response to someone saying only NECA's 7" figures have been "failures" when it comes to the vast differences between their Prototype pics and Actual Products. Apparently that person has now been murdered by the usually calm and peaceful MaulFan. Oh well.

Back