Name the 1 band.......

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..I've mentioned to other U2 fans I don't like their music..I'm close to 40 so I've been forced to watch them grow...but why must U2 fans feel so determined to transform others who dislike them?

I guess my reasons are threefold:

A) I'm Irish (though not everyone in Ireland likes them)
B) sometimes I can't understand how people can prefer bands who, to my ears quite literally only produce noise - versus U2's melodies - by that I mean songs you can hum without necessarily knowing the lyrics
C) The stadium friendliness of many of their songs can really unify a crowd, and I don't get whats unappealing about that to some people

Mind you theres a great tribute band in Ireland called Rattle&Hum who play gigs at various localities - which I love because compared to a proper concert you have easy access to bars, toilets, you don't get bumped into half as much, plus no matter where you are you're in decent proximity to the band - the added bonus of these guys is they just play the songs, no Bono preaching.

I've mentioned to other U2 fans I don't like their music..I'm close to 40 so I've been forced to watch them grow...but why must U2 fans feel so determined to transform others who dislike them? :duh

Oh, I'm not trying to transform anybody. You're free to dislike all you want!

You know, I honestly don't care if other people like the music I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, it's cool if other people appreciate the things you like, but it's not a necessity. And as proof, I offer up this tidbit:

I LOVE Tears for Fears. Phew!! That took some real guts if I do say so myself.

Sorry cant resist. I'm not a U2 fan, but I respect them. The edge is a great guitar player. Who sounds like him? Style is everything. Songs like One, With or Without..., Still haven't found....it is that easy. Music is a lifestyle. If your lifestyle doesn't fit, then the popular opinion is too hate, too be different, the American way. The closed minded. For a band too be that popular there is a reason behind it. Weather it be the Stones, Zeppelin or the Beatles. And an open mind can solve alot. Alot of people want to be different and "cool". But there are missing out on alot. If you can't feel and respect music you shouldn't listen. And saying a great band sucks makes people look and sound stupid. Stupid is what stupid does.

And the punkkrock lifestyle still exist.

Oh, I'm not trying to transform anybody. You're free to dislike all you want!

You know, I honestly don't care if other people like the music I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, it's cool if other people appreciate the things you like, but it's not a necessity. And as proof, I offer up this tidbit:

I LOVE Tears for Fears. Phew!! That took some real guts if I do say so myself.

I feel the same way as you. I like what I like. I like some of Tears for Fears songs too.

I grew up experiencing all kinds of music from the 30s on up. My grandparents and parents were always very musical. I'm very opened minded about most of it.

Nothing at all, if you're Kenny Loggins or Billy Joel.

If you are an angry nu-metal band who went completely soft, that's a different story. Of course there is nothing fundamentally bad about it, but it's just not for me. Heart is another example of a band who did this. To go from "Crazy on You" to "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You" is brutal.

Goo Goo Dolls is a prime example

Goo Goo Dolls 1987:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/B4kNeeWkiCc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/B4kNeeWkiCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Goo Goo Dolls recently:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3rj2TZMjQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3rj2TZMjQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry cant resist. I'm not a U2 fan, but I respect them. The edge is a great guitar player. Who sounds like him? Style is everything. Songs like One, With or Without..., Still haven't found....it is that easy. Music is a lifestyle. If your lifestyle doesn't fit, then the popular opinion is too hate, too be different, the American way. The closed minded. For a band too be that popular there is a reason behind it. Weather it be the Stones, Zeppelin or the Beatles. And an open mind can solve alot. Alot of people want to be different and "cool". But there are missing out on alot. If you can't feel and respect music you shouldn't listen. And saying a great band sucks makes people look and sound stupid. Stupid is what stupid does.

And the punkkrock lifestyle still exist.

That's cool that you can appreciate someone like The Edge without being a fan of the music. But I don't feel anyone has an obligation not to dislike any band, U2 included, even though I'm a fan. We're not talking religions here.

For example, I am really not a fan of The Beatles, Stones, or even Zeppelin for that matter. There are songs here and there that I would give a spin every great once in a while, but if I never heard another song from any of those bands, it couldn't care less. Why? I don't know. Most of their songs just don't do it for me. I can tell you certain things about each band that I dislike, but it really doesn't matter. The bottom line is I don't care for the music.

That being said, they are all obviously talented. But if someone feels like they suck, so be it. I think it sounds kind of silly and pretentious to start talking about a lack of "open mindedness" and how if you can't repect music you shouldn't listen. That's crazy IMHO. Again, we're not talking religion here, we're talking personal tastes. That's why as brilliant as I personally think U2 are, I don't get upset when other people dislike them. Big deal.

Goo Goo Dolls 1987:
<EMBED src=https://www.youtube.com/v/B4kNeeWkiCc&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Goo Goo Dolls recently:
<EMBED src=https://www.youtube.com/v/i3rj2TZMjQg&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I actually like both songs. Most groups change over 20+ years.

That's cool that you can appreciate someone like The Edge without being a fan of the music. But I don't feel anyone has an obligation not to dislike any band, U2 included, even though I'm a fan. We're not talking religions here.

For example, I am really not a fan of The Beatles, Stones, or even Zeppelin for that matter. There are songs here and there that I would give a spin every great once in a while, but if I never heard another song from any of those bands, it couldn't care less. Why? I don't know. Most of their songs just don't do it for me. I can tell you certain things about each band that I dislike, but it really doesn't matter. The bottom line is I don't care for the music.

That being said, they are all obviously talented. But if someone feels like they suck, so be it. I think it sounds kind of silly and pretentious to start talking about a lack of "open mindedness" and how if you can't repect music you shouldn't listen. That's crazy IMHO. Again, we're not talking religion here, we're talking personal tastes. That's why as brilliant as I personally think U2 are, I don't get upset when other people dislike them. Big deal.

You can respect music without liking it. I hate Opera, but I respect the hell out of it. I hate Rap, but I can ......respect.....that others like it and it makes alot of money. Same with the tween music like the Jonas Brothers aka Brodie's Boys. :D

I agree with you, I'll explain more another day, too tired right now.

I meant to quote Bwills but messed it up.

I actually like both songs. Most groups change over 20+ years.

You're right, but I remember Goo Goo getting serious backlash from oldschool fans who saw them as selling out. I do not mind it so much, but I recall an interview with Rzeznik where he just couldn't come up with a song no matter how hard he tried, and he had to get one out for some movie soundtrack at the time. To me they are a prime example of a band's priorities changing, and being sucked into the world of commerciality maybe before they were ready. I personally think they got a bad rap, but some fans are unkind with percieved "selling out" (See No Doubt).

It's funny, I have the most fun discussions with friends talking about music. It is NOTHING like religion or politics to me, simply because I have yet to meet someone who stopped being my friend because we diagree on music. Heck, one of my best friends loves Ace of Base and believes nothing that ever comes along will top the sheer brilliance of Ace of Base. Music is like movies. I don't get offended if someone didn't like the Dark Knight, but that doesn't mean I won't defend and debate why it ruled, or why Clint Eastwood IMO is an overrated director. This is what TEH internetz is for!

:duff Cheers to everyone and their musical tastes!

It's funny, I have the most fun discussions with friends talking about music. It is NOTHING like religion or politics to me, simply because I have yet to meet someone who stopped being my friend because we diagree on music. Heck, one of my best friends loves Ace of Base and believes nothing that ever comes along will top the sheer brilliance of Ace of Base. Music is like movies. I don't get offended if someone didn't like the Dark Knight, but that doesn't mean I won't defend and debate why it ruled, or why Clint Eastwood IMO is an overrated director. This is what TEH internetz is for!

:duff Cheers to everyone and their musical tastes!

Cheers back at ya. Hey, if we're all honest, we've all liked some less than cool music at some point in our lives. I swear, when I first heard MMMBop, I thought it was one of the best pop gems I'd heard in a long time.....and I generally dislike most popular music.

Right now I can't get enough Foo Fighters, Brooke Fraser and the new GNR.....

Goo Goo Dolls 1987:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/B4kNeeWkiCc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/B4kNeeWkiCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Goo Goo Dolls recently:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3rj2TZMjQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3rj2TZMjQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Sex Maggots kick ass! :D

Cheers back at ya. Hey, if we're all honest, we've all liked some less than cool music at some point in our lives. I swear, when I first heard MMMBop, I thought it was one of the best pop gems I'd heard in a long time.....and I generally dislike most popular music.

Right now I can't get enough Foo Fighters, Brooke Fraser and the new GNR.....

You are so right, man. Can't say I was ever a fan of Hanson, but I loved Crazy Town's Butterfly when it first came out :lol And I have always loved Foo :rock

The Sex Maggots kick ass! :D

:rock :rock :rock Damn right!

Oh and on the topic of punk, this song was one of the most amazing pop-punk songs I heard in a while:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/sO4YoCZ8Vw8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/sO4YoCZ8Vw8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't know what happened to this Blink 182, but this song really made me notice this band. After this album I checked out Chesire Cat (great album they released previously) but it's too bad their future albums would dissapoint me greatly and they became too big for their own good.

Sadly, add Blink to my list of bands I wouldn't mind not hearing again.

I really don't like Blink, at all. Nor Green Day.
Think they are both vastly over-rated.

The Number 1 band that I hate the most; the band that will make me run to the radio and change stations after 1 millisecond is...

The Spin Doctors.

2.gif

Back