My Predator Elder Bust is Nearing Completion (pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: It is foam filled latex.

Yeah, it's one of his custom masks and before pulling out of the mold you fill it with the foam so it stays rigid and makes a good display piece. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but I just don't trust latex to last as long as I intend to be collecting ;)

Yeah, it's one of his custom masks and before pulling out of the mold you fill it with the foam so it stays rigid and makes a good display piece. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but I just don't trust latex to last as long as I intend to be collecting ;)
Yeah, I don't trust t either, but it looks killer while it still is in good shape.

Thats what i' m thinkin. How will this thing age?
I also question the materials used as both the Elder & P1 pictures seem a little "wobbly" (squished in from the sides) but I am sure thats just gravity doing it's thing as they are not foam filled yet.

As long as you keep it out of direct sunlight, high humidity,and oily hands this peice will last you at least 25 yrs possibly more.

My fears were allayed quite a bit when Peter answered my email asking if the latex in this bust will break down.

"Thanks, thats a good question - From what I understand, as long asit is stored inside and out of direct sunlight it should last atleast a lifetime. They've changed the formula of latex over theyears and the formula I use is designed for longevity. Evenstill, properly cared for masks that are several decades old fromthe older formulas are still in good shape. The reason some masksdo break down is because some artists or companies use harshchemicals in their paints - I use acid-free paints and and castthe pieces very thick, which also protects the piece. The Eldershould last at least your lifetime, but if you ever do have aproblem related to the aging of the piece let me know and I'llrepair it. Thanks! Peter"

How's that for customer service? :rock

As long as you keep it out of direct sunlight, high humidity,and oily hands this peice will last you at least 25 yrs possibly more.

It really depends on more than that to be honest... Some factors:

- What the mold was made with and how it was made and what agents if any were used.
- Quality of Latex used and how it was mixed and poured
- Age of latex used
- Types of paint and sealant used
- How the piece was handled and was it exposed to other chemicals from projects in the same environment.

Then you have the considerations you mentioned, but extreme heat and over-dehumidifcation (really a word lol!) and can also affect it.

The problem with latex is you don't usually know anything prep or creation wise as you have no control over it, and then the best way to store it is vacuum sealed and packed in a box with something to keep it's form. But then that completely defeats the purpose of buying it if you're going to seal and store it right? LOL! I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but Latex and other organic materials are not welcome in to the collecting room unless it's a suit lol!

Pete definitely sounds like he's covering his bases to make sure it lives older than you do though loL! Still... I just don't trust it.

It really depends on more than that to be honest... Some factors:

- What the mold was made with and how it was made and what agents if any were used.
- Quality of Latex used and how it was mixed and poured
- Age of latex used
- Types of paint and sealant used
- How the piece was handled and was it exposed to other chemicals from projects in the same environment.

Then you have the considerations you mentioned, but extreme heat and over-dehumidifcation (really a word lol!) and can also affect it.

The problem with latex is you don't usually know anything prep or creation wise as you have no control over it, and then the best way to store it is vacuum sealed and packed in a box with something to keep it's form. But then that completely defeats the purpose of buying it if you're going to seal and store it right? LOL! I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but Latex and other organic materials are not welcome in to the collecting room unless it's a suit lol!

Pete definitely sounds like he's covering his bases to make sure it lives older than you do though loL! Still... I just don't trust it.

I think you're just trying to ruin my high.:rotfl He did answer some of your cosiderations as far as type of latex and paints used. I will immediately place it under glass when it arrives. If it lasts 20 years I'm happy.

I think you're just trying to ruin my high.:rotfl He did answer some of your cosiderations as far as type of latex and paints used. I will immediately place it under glass when it arrives. If it lasts 20 years I'm happy.

Oh I'm just being a paranoid freak, don't mind me... And to be honest, even a mask made of ^^^^ty latex will last you 20 years, so don't sweat it. I'm sure it will look good as new when they bury you with it years and years from now ;) (I can't be the only one that expects to be buried with his collection right??)

And I've seen his work in person, you are going to FREAK when it's in front of you!

Dan

Oh I'm just being a paranoid freak, don't mind me... And to be honest, even a mask made of ^^^^ty latex will last you 20 years, so don't sweat it. I'm sure it will look good as new when they bury you with it years and years from now ;) (I can't be the only one that expects to be buried with his collection right??)

And I've seen his work in person, you are going to FREAK when it's in front of you!

Dan

Awesome. Glad to hear it. Pete seems like a helluva nice guy. Responds to every email promptly. And so young too. God just loves some of us more than others.:lol

Im 25 and can just about tie my shoe laces :lol . Wish i had even a bit of talent! but right now I am happy just to collect :D

Back