My dog nearly died

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr6.turbo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey fellow freaks i woke up this morning to find my dog slumped on the floor unable to move.Turns out had 2 Paralysis Ticks www.petalia.com.au/images/stories/merixholfemhalf.jpg
(Paralysis Tick that is by far the most dangerous. It causes paralysis in a variety of forms but a ‘typical’ case starts with weakness of the hindquarters that progresses to total paralysis of all four legs. Other typical early signs include an altered bark and vomiting. When the chest muscles and muscles of the throat become affected, the dog is in serious trouble.)
I just got back from dropping him from the vets and he will have to stay there for a few days so they can give him anti-venom and monitor his progress.Damn i already miss him:monkey2
This is BB he is a Silky x Poodle
IMGP0957.jpg

BB3.jpg

I am selling some stuff to help pay the vet bill so please check it out here https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84412

Just had doggie problems in my house as well. He is fine now. Hope yours pulls through.

btw.......is there anything you can give them that will prevent this? Like Advantix or Frontline?

btw.......is there anything you can give them that will prevent this? Like Advantix or Frontline?

K9 Advantix (for dog use only) contains permethrin which is a "tick repellent," so that's your best best. But again, they are repellents and won't necessarily 100% prevent a tick from gaining access to your pet. (And DO NOT use this on cats. Permethrin is toxic to cats.)

Frontline does NOT contain permethrin, thus it won't repel fleas and ticks, like K9 Advantix. However, BOTH products will kill fleas and ticks.

The difference? Basically, one will repel and kill, while the other only kills.

As for the tick paralysis, one of the most common causes are Rickettsia (basically, a nasty bacteria), most of which are carried by ticks serving as vectors. (I've assuming that's what xr6 turbo's dog got infected with.) Ticks spread it via their saliva. Once they bite your dog, they become infected. Symptoms include paralysis, hence the name "tick paralysis." So basically, it's not the tick that debilitates the dog, as much as it is what the tick transmits (ie. the bacteria.)

And sorry to hear about your dog, XR6. But if it is a Rickettsial-caused disease, it's definitely treatable. Luckily, you saw the signs before they got any worse.

Thanks for the kind words everyone:1-1:
Just waiting to hear back from the vet on his progress.
I have been giving him Proban tablets but the vet said nothing is 100% effective with ticks.

Proban -Proban (cythioate) is an effective method of killing the paralysis tick on your dog and therefore reduce the likelihood of tick paralysis occurring.

After administration Proban is absorbed and circulates in the dogs bloodstream. The ticks have to feed on blood before they cause any paralysis and therefore die before causing too much harm. Proban is not affected by rain, washing or swimming.

Proban should not be used with other organophosphate (OP) based products including rinses, shampoos, sprays, collars & other OP-based oral treatments.
It is safe to use with Program, Sentinel, Frontline, Advantage, Capstar and all pyrethrin or permethrin based products

Daily searching for ticks is still essential.

Sorry to hear that man. Ive been having problem with my dog as well. Shes got a heart murmur so for the past few months we've been at the vet tryin to get her better.

Hope he gets better soon. Our dog got Lyme disease from a tick last year..she is fine now but was scary for a couple of days.

We found out earlier this year that she had cancer, she wasn't doing too bad but this past week she could barely get around and stopped eating, and it was obvious the medication wasn't helping so we had to put her to sleep yesterday. I'm sad, but it was expected to happen so it's not a shock. But still sad.

So sorry to hear and hope he recovers well.

Dogs are AWESOME! I took mine to the park today, then a charity dogwash with hot Scottsdale women bathing them, then to an outside patio bar to watch college football all day. They're ultimate wingmen. I will miss them dearly when God reclaims them. They are best friends, no doubt.

I've never heard of paralysis ticks that you've described. Hope they aren't in AZ.

My dog died yesterday, very sad

And yeah, I'm serious
Very sorry to hear. My condolences. What breed?

Back