My Darla review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for commenting, Andy. It does seem that something was lost in production. a longer neck might help her, but the b ody is what it is.

The pic of the original sculpt looks muuuuch better.

How do you decide which expression to use as the basis for your sculpts?

Customikey said:
Thanks for commenting, Andy. It does seem that something was lost in production. a longer neck might help her, but the b ody is what it is.

Y'know... I really think that this figure is only cementing my belief that the Short bodies need major work. They convey the height scale accurately, but we get the monkey arms and with the women... we get the boobs too low.

I really think that eventually SSC will work this out and we'll have more accurate short characters. With more and more of these instances occuring, the chances only increase.

As for the sculpt, it is a very good likeness as far as features. But, yeah... the expression is what kills it. I still very much like the unpainted sculpt though, outstanding work... And it looks so much better there...

Great review as per usual Michael, I have been enjoying you honest appraisals for years now and love your work!

My take here...

Bad production Quality Control on Darla, bad, bad, bad and in need of a vigorous spanking or caning or whatever they do there.

The forehead and chin are not Andy's, I think they believed they were producing one of those foreheads from "This Island Earth"

As far as the controversial Willow, bad paint apps, bad bad bad, in need of even more spanking @ SSC QC. I purchased a repaint Willow, same exact sculpt and she looks so much better, almost cute even, although her eyes were painted a bit too large, it still shows how much better she can look with better paint apps (not like some 45 yr old woman from Bensonhurst).

Here you can see a "correct" repaint Willow.

cb_122.jpg

03_124.jpg

So, everyone please take it easy on my boy Andy, he is one of the best if not THE best sculptor out there!

Last edited:
There's a pretty big difference between the unpainted head and the finished one. The unpainted head looks so much better because it doesn't have the "dome" forehead. Her head really became too oval shaped.

While I still don't like the look of the figure (because of the style it was based on), if they had ended up looking like the unpainted head it would have improved the figure a great deal.

Already told you this was a great review on the CreatusMaximus forums, but i'll say it here again. Great Review! :) I got my Fed Ex tracking # last night I should have my Darla's & Luke next Thursday! Can't wait! I ordered these the day they went up & I am tired of waiting. :D

Aerosmith said:
Already told you this was a great review on the CreatusMaximus forums, but i'll say it here again. Great Review! :) I got my Fed Ex tracking # last night I should have my Darla's & Luke next Thursday! Can't wait! I ordered these the day they went up & I am tired of waiting. :D

Me too Aerosmith! Mine will be arriving on Wednesday! It seems like everyone else has already gotten theres.

Yeah they would have shipped last week, but I had to send them another Money Order for shipping. Since they forgot to charge me for it with the first one I sent.

I'm starting to get really tired of seeing excuses for Sideshow everytime a human faced sculpt comes out and we see shots of the prototype sculpt and reaise how much it's been distorted in the manufacturing process.

How many years have they been trading now? I mean come on guys, you must know what you're doing wrong by now, surely, so why does this keep happening? I mean do you think folks won't notice how awful some of these heads end up looking. Todays generation of toy collectors are getting more fussy about what they buy, not less.

I feel really sorry for those sculptors who have had their work ruined by this type of thing. There simply is no excuse.

sueworld said:
I'm starting to get really tired of seeing excuses for Sideshow everytime a human faced sculpt comes out and we see shots of the prototype sculpt and reaise how much it's been distorted in the manufacturing process.

How many years have they been trading now? I mean come on guys, you must know what you're doing wrong by now, surely, so why does this keep happening? I mean do you think folks won't notice how awful some of these heads end up looking. Todays generation of toy collectors are getting more fussy about what they buy, not less.

I feel really sorry for those sculptors who have had their work ruined by this type of thing. There simply is no excuse.

Amen to that!

For this particular figure, I pretty much agree with your review Michael. Well done. I went with the blue version over the red simply because I thought the nylons would be darker and therefore the leg joints wouldn't be as visible, however, they're both about the same. Now the likeness isn't perfect but it's not bad really. Like most cases, I do think it looks better in person. I know it's Darla when I look at it whereas the same cannot be said for Faith and Willow. Overall, I'm quite pleased with this figure and an overall rating of 3/4 is pretty accurate.

Also, the original sculpt does look better than the final production piece as did Willow. Thanks for sharing Andy. :bow Speaking of Willow, did anyone save the original prototype pics and if so, can you share them please. I didn't save them and can't find them in any threads.

sueworld said:

I understand the frustration level felt by collectors... however, we can't assume that there aren't ANY excuses... because we, as the product buyers, are uninformed about all that goes into the production of these pieces. I think there is a level of uncertainty when you are manufacturing these vinyl heads... and I've seen it affect MANY lines from MANY companies.

And I think the sculptors are well aware of it.

If the frustration level gets too much, there is always resin statues to collect.

Protozaius said:
I understand the frustration level felt by collectors... however, we can't assume that there aren't ANY excuses... because we, as the product buyers, are uninformed about all that goes into the production of these pieces. I think there is a level of uncertainty when you are manufacturing these vinyl heads... and I've seen it affect MANY lines from MANY companies.

And I think the sculptors are well aware of it.

If the frustration level gets too much, there is always resin statues to collect.

My husband works at an injection molding company and I was talking to him about this and he said the problem is most likely it pulling hard coming out of the mold. He said there are lubricants they can use in the mold but then it might make it difficult to paint the item afterwards because of the residue left over from the spray.

I have about 25 Sideshow figures and only the Willow figure and this Darla figure have had this occur. I honestly don't think the Darla figure looks that much different than the prototype - haven't gotten her yet but just by going by the photos. I think Sideshow has a very good track record giving us quality products. I do think that they should have at least admitted the problem that occurred with Willow and at least given us another Willow by now. With Darla, I don't think she looks that different and the people who ordered her and have received her seem to be pleased with her.

Here are a few images I saved from back then...

Id gladly pay 10-15$ for a corrected head if they could run a few hundred through another molding process for everyone that wants one..

20101_image01.jpg

20101_image02.jpg

willow_doll.jpg

Back