My Custom Troopers and whatever else comes up along the way.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. Yeah I just experimented. I always start with a razor blade. Ill take the edge of a razor blade against any sharp edges of armor and anywhere I would imagine there would be scuffs. After that I mix a little combo of metallic dark gray, enamel black and light gray. Definitely a very light amount on the brush at a time and sometimes with a bit of water and fill in all the cracks and spaces that would have dirt build-ups and then wipe with a paper towel. It's a trial and error process. I still need a lot of work to really get it down but i have been able to get some cool effect like if you look on his rib cage there's sort of that odd shaped dirt ring. Or if you drop a dot of black and take a thinner brush and just sort of dot the armor and the swipe out sort of like blaster burn marks if that makes sense? Sorry this was a long response man haha! :slap
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. This is very similar to a technique I used when I used to build plastic models (over 20 years ago). I primarily used a dark gray wash combined with a little black enamel. Then I used what they called "dry brushing" to get the look.

I built a Falcon back in the 90s that had a few convinced that is was a movie prop. Unfortunately, it met its demise about 3 house moves ago.

If you don't like the way the paint came out, do you remove it and start again? If so, how do you remove the paint?

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. This is very similar to a technique I used when I used to build plastic models (over 20 years ago). I primarily used a dark gray wash combined with a little black enamel. Then I used what they called "dry brushing" to get the look.

I built a Falcon back in the 90s that had a few convinced that is was a movie prop. Unfortunately, it met its demise about 3 house moves ago.

If you don't like the way the paint came out, do you remove it and start again? If so, how do you remove the paint?

Nooooooooooooooo! I would have LOVED to see that Falcon! :gah:

I thought dry brushing was painting without using water? What IS dry brushing? I think maybe I just assumed that without ever actually knowing, haha! The main paint yeah, just a little alcohol usually works pretty good. My first one i tried to be slick by using acetone and started melting some of the pieces haha fortunately i didn't melt them bad enough that they weren't usable. Usually if I don't like what I did I just wipe it off completely with the paper towel. The acrylics dry pretty quick though so I guess for the big picture i would probably be smarter to matte seal the clean coat so i have a layer to protect the main pain job should i need to use a dab of alcohol on a swab to remove some wear marks i didn't like.

This is only my 3rd of 5 in. I definitely have a lot more learning to do. I think I might do a matte seal after the main body paint job is done before the weathering on this next one i'm working on :)

Any photos of that Falcon?

Nooooooooooooooo! I would have LOVED to see that Falcon! :gah:

I thought dry brushing was painting without using water? What IS dry brushing? I think maybe I just assumed that without ever actually knowing, haha! The main paint yeah, just a little alcohol usually works pretty good. My first one i tried to be slick by using acetone and started melting some of the pieces haha fortunately i didn't melt them bad enough that they weren't usable. Usually if I don't like what I did I just wipe it off completely with the paper towel. The acrylics dry pretty quick though so I guess for the big picture i would probably be smarter to matte seal the clean coat so i have a layer to protect the main pain job should i need to use a dab of alcohol on a swab to remove some wear marks i didn't like.

This is only my 3rd of 5 in. I definitely have a lot more learning to do. I think I might do a matte seal after the main body paint job is done before the weathering on this next one i'm working on :)

Any photos of that Falcon?

Maybe we are both wrong? Maybe what we think is dry brushing really isn't. I've got some pics somewhere. Good news is I bought another one that I will be putting together sometime in the future.

Here we go. My 6th custom down. I knocked this guy out pretty quick and is definitely my new favorite. This is CT-8749. If you saw B-08 aka Bob you'll notice a very similar paint job. They're part of the same squad. There are few more coming. Can't wait to get them all done.

As always, any tips or critique would be most appreciated! Thanks freaks! :)

image_zps1c3c41bc.jpg

image_zpse0db7ddf.jpg

image_zpse5ba6130.jpg

image_zps19b024bd.jpg

image_zps9508f50e.jpg

Wow.... That is awesome!!! :thud:

I'd like to see a step by step process of your creation/s.

Rad man! I'll definitely post some steps. I's really nothing crazy but i definitely will :)

Also, I got the hoses off of Bricklink.com I have fellow freak spiderrogue to thank for that source!

:duff

I am going to work on modding a few phase 1 clones and am wondering did you strip the paint off the armor or did you just paint over it?

I am going to work on modding a few phase 1 clones and am wondering did you strip the paint off the armor or did you just paint over it?

This is how I start.

image_zps57e672b8.jpg

1. Your supplies:
-What you're taping/painting (in this case the phase 2 lid).
-Blue masking tape.
-Anything you can get your hands on that has a small dull tip. In this case I stole a hair clamp from my fiancée.
-xacto blade

2. Throw that tape over the visor and vent. If one doesn't fit then wait until you go through the process and then throw another piece over what didn't get covered the first time.

3. Use your fingers to press in the tape where it is to be masking.

4. Use the dull edged whatever you found to use to get tighter in the cracks. This is why this part is important because it will press the tape in tighter without cutting it. Tough if you press hard enough it will cut it which is also ok.

5. Cut around the area you are masking and take off all the scrap tape.

6. After you cut and remove the scraps you might have some spots left that didn't get covered as much as you wanted them to be. No worries. Just throw a small piece of scrap tape and repeat steps 3-5. (This happens all the time)

7. Now your vent and visor are masked. I like to cover the tube caps and little chin piece as well. So that is the next job. Throw in some tape and press in with the dull piece and cut. You don't want to put too much tape in there because you want your main paint to still reach in there. You can always hand paint the little details that didn't get hit afterwards anyway.

8. Boom! Ready to paint

9. Primered.

I'm sure this was just obvious stuff to most of you but for anyone else like me who's still pretty new at this: I hope it's helpful. I'll post more steps as I move along. :)

Back