My annual "I want Psycho" rant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite piece of my psycho collection. Only FIVE BUCKS SHIPPED at Amazon!!!

51NIQfOrFvL.jpg

I paid $20 for this at Best Buy and don't regret a penny of that. Psycho IV is a perfect sequel and Henry Thomas was awesome as a young Norman. This set sits proudly in my collection, next to the Anniversary Edition of the first film.

I paid $20 for this at Best Buy and don't regret a penny of that. Psycho IV is a perfect sequel and Henry Thomas was awesome as a young Norman. This set sits proudly in my collection, next to the Anniversary Edition of the first film.

This is where we are going to have to agree to disagree Nam. I'll tell you why (with what you call one of my u-know-what slaps.:lecture)

Joe Stephano, who wrote the first film decided to dismiss parts 2 and 3 (which followed all the continuity laid in the first film, added to it, and then put the genie back in the bottle by the end of part 3 as not to sully the first film. Perkins and the others wanted no errors or glitches that would do such). The only sullying they did was the inclusion of nudity and gore(unnecessary as Hitchcock proved in the first film). But I digress.

In dismissing the second and third film, he loses a major plot point. Norman's father was murdered at an early age by Mrs. Spool in her (Mrs. Spool's) perceived love triangle between Norman's mother, aunt, and father. Yet in Psycho 4, Norman says his father was stung to death by bees. That throws the entire basis of parts 2 and 3's plot in the crapper. But lets pretend Joe Stefano did that intentionally because he didnt like what they did for parts 2 and 3. Lets just say he wanted to take things back to part 1's ending.

Joe Stefano who wrote part 4, also wrote the original Psycho screenplay. If anyone should be aware of its continuity it should be him. But he blew it. In the 4th film: Norman's mom met the guy she "threw Norman over" for after the motel was already built, and the highway had moved away, and Norman had been running the hotel for years. In the first film he stated "a few years ago, Mother met a man and he talked her into building this motel." Thats a big time goof. Especially since he wrote both screenplays. Also, Mother was established as "old" in the first three films. But since they wanted to use Olivia Hussey, he wrote in a one liner having Norman say she had "grown old" in his mind after she died. It was kind of mish mash.

I love the first one, the second was great, the third one was better than most sequels getting thrown around at the time....but I didnt like the fourth one much at all. For the above mentioned reasons.:peace:1-1::monkey3

This is where we are going to have to agree to disagree Nam. I'll tell you why (with what you call one of my u-know-what slaps.:lecture)

Joe Stephano, who wrote the first film decided to dismiss parts 2 and 3 (which followed all the continuity laid in the first film, added to it, and then put the genie back in the bottle by the end of part 3 as not to sully the first film. Perkins and the others wanted no errors or glitches that would do such). The only sullying they did was the inclusion of nudity and gore(unnecessary as Hitchcock proved in the first film). But I digress.

In dismissing the second and third film, he loses a major plot point. Norman's father was murdered at an early age by Mrs. Spool in her (Mrs. Spool's) perceived love triangle between Norman's mother, aunt, and father. Yet in Psycho 4, Norman says his father was stung to death by bees. That throws the entire basis of parts 2 and 3's plot in the crapper. But lets pretend Joe Stefano did that intentionally because he didnt like what they did for parts 2 and 3. Lets just say he wanted to take things back to part 1's ending.

Joe Stefano who wrote part 4, also wrote the original Psycho screenplay. If anyone should be aware of its continuity it should be him. But he blew it. In the 4th film: Norman's mom met the guy she "threw Norman over" for after the motel was already built, and the highway had moved away, and Norman had been running the hotel for years. In the first film he stated "a few years ago, Mother met a man and he talked her into building this motel." Thats a big time goof. Especially since he wrote both screenplays. Also, Mother was established as "old" in the first three films. But since they wanted to use Olivia Hussey, he wrote in a one liner having Norman say she had "grown old" in his mind after she died. It was kind of mish mash.

I love the first one, the second was great, the third one was better than most sequels getting thrown around at the time....but I didnt like the fourth one much at all. For the above mentioned reasons.:peace:1-1::monkey3

I dunno, I thought the whole premise of the radio interview as a means for telling the whole story was well thought out and the actors did an excellent job of portraying that, a sorta slasher version of Interview With a Vampire. I won't disagree that there weren't conflicts between the other movies, but I still think it was a great end cap to the series. Besides, it was great seeing Perkins in the role again. :lol

I dunno, I thought the whole premise of the radio interview as a means for telling the whole story was well thought out and the actors did an excellent job of portraying that, a sorta slasher version of Interview With a Vampire. I won't disagree that there weren't conflicts between the other movies, but I still think it was a great end cap to the series. Besides, it was great seeing Perkins in the role again. :lol

All of those statements I agree with. Its the other parts that make it less than a classic.:monkey3

Overall, the original didn't need any sequels but II did have lot of good stuff in it (especially Mrs. Spool's demise). However, I hated the fact that they negated Mother's importance in the first film. The only real thing I liked about III was the fact that they reset the original continuity.

Still, for $10 bucks (I think that's what I paid) the sequel set on DVD is well worth the dough.

Actually I loved part 2, thought part 3 was fun 80's horror. The nun chick and Jeff Fahey as the drifter was awesome. I REALLY liked part 4 because I think the backstory was done skillfully and for a DIRECT TO DVD film, in that context, it was a really well done film.

Actually I loved part 2, thought part 3 was fun 80's horror. The nun chick and Jeff Fahey as the drifter was awesome. I REALLY liked part 4 because I think the backstory was done skillfully and for a DIRECT TO DVD film, in that context, it was a really well done film.

If I remember correctly, it was actually made for Showtime or HBO, wasn't it?

Hahahhahaha! AT LAST. A Custom piece, and mine has already been nailed down. This will soon be mine. Gonna build and paint her myself.

I am most pleased somebody out there is listening to fans of the film Psycho.:peace

psychomom2.jpg

psychomom1.jpg

Fortunately the actual prop head ( which resides in a museum in France) can be used as reference for color scheme. Plus, I know the dress she was buried in is "periwinkle blue" from the film.

I am very happy someone finally did this.

This is why custom items are so popular. Studios seem to drag their feet.:peace
mrs-bates.jpg

Back