musty odor on used figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chengda85

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just bought a couple used hot toys figures from ebay. physically the figures seem to be in very good condition with no discoloration, however when I put them closer to my nose I smell a weird musty odor. it is hard to describe, I do not think it is cigarette smoke because I know what that smells like. It smells kinda like an old man lol, or a damp mop or something. I think the previous owner probably put the figures on a shelf that had that smell. I'm wondering if it is mold? (I dont really know what mold smells like)

has anyone experienced anything like this? what should i do? the smell is not very strong and is only noticeable if I put my nose very close and sniff, but I'm worried if it really is mold.

You can usually see mold.it was probly kept in a basement or actict.try to air them out it shoud get rid of the smell,or handwash the closths .

A good trick to remove odd smells (even cigarettes) is to take the clothing off and put them in a ziplock baggy with a dryer sheet. Leave it for a day or so and usually the problem is solved.

I had one figure where the clothing, body and even box smelled like smoke. But just did the trick with everything and took care of it.

The owner might've been an old man who would hold a figure in the palm of his hand, then with that hand take hold of his _____ (thus sandwiching the figure between his hand and _____). He'd then proceed to masturbate that way, the figure firmly held to his _____ the whole time.

As to how to remove the smell of an old man's _____ from your figures, I frankly don't know.

I just bought a couple used hot toys figures from ebay. physically the figures seem to be in very good condition with no discoloration, however when I put them closer to my nose I smell a weird musty odor. it is hard to describe, I do not think it is cigarette smoke because I know what that smells like. It smells kinda like an old man lol, or a damp mop or something. I think the previous owner probably put the figures on a shelf that had that smell. I'm wondering if it is mold? (I dont really know what mold smells like)

How can we solve this.....

You can investigate further by asking the seller exactly where the figures were stored.

You can investigate further by asking the seller exactly where the figures were stored.

Not just how and where they were stored - read Grosby's post. You'll want more details. Or maybe you won't want any details. I'd just throw the figures in a ziplock with a dryer sheet, like Galactiboy says. Bicarb of soda also removes smells. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The owner might've been an old man who would hold a figure in the palm of his hand, then with that hand take hold of his _____ (thus sandwiching the figure between his hand and _____). He'd then proceed to masturbate that way, the figure firmly held to his _____ the whole time.

As to how to remove the smell of an old man's _____ from your figures, I frankly don't know.

:rotfl:rotfl

Buyer beware.

Thanks Gross..by for a superb image :slap:lol

Well I think we've all learned something from this. Don't buy figures from dirty old men or if you do, don't smell them.

This happned to me as well...i bought a 1/6 resin fig...it smelled like mold something horrible. I tryed everything to get rid of the smell, in the end I ended up throwing it away. You might just have to let it go.

This happned to me as well...i bought a 1/6 resin fig...it smelled like mold something horrible. I tryed everything to get rid of the smell, in the end I ended up throwing it away. You might just have to let it go.

did it have visible mold on it?

is it safe to wash the clothes of hot toys figures with soap? like will the dye come off?

I heard spraying clothes with Vodka before a wash takes smells like cigarrete smell, but I have never done it and I don't know what effects it has no the clothes,

the smell could be Moth balls or mold, even if you dont see mold, sometimes it grows inside the figure's body,

mold is really easy to kill with vinegar, vinegar kills mold really fast,

the dryer sheets are a good thing to do but your figures are going to smell like roses, LOL,

is vinegar a good idea???? I mean it is acidic isnt that going to destroy the figure? does anyone actually use vinegar to clean figures?

Back