Museum Replicas Captain America Shields

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, the waves and ripples. The rise in paint, maaaaaan i was REALLLLLY looking forward to this.

Most of the problems in Nasedo's shield are in the paint itself. If the paint was thick enough, and it wasn't clear coated, a lot of, if not most of them could be sanded out with wet and dry sandpaper, using a couple drops of dishwashing soap in the bucket of water. You would use 1200 at the coarsest, and 3000 at the finest, although 2000 or 2500 should do just fine. There is a LOT of orange peel in the paint, which is usually fixable by polishing. There are dents, however, which you can't polish out, but only fill. This shield actually looks better than the 60's ones posted earlier. The thing is, do you really want to spend 12-25 hours trying to fix it? As long as it isn't clear coated,and there is enough paint on it, you can make a significant improvement in the finish with sandpaper and rubbing, or polishing compound, and cleaner wax. If the paint ISN'T thick enough, then you risk sanding through the paint, and making it worse. It looks like you could just use a little cleaner wax on it, and make it a little better, without hurting it at all, because wax can fill and subdue the appearance of paint defects. It won't hide the really deep stuff, but I think it's worth it to try, if you are going to keep it. Zymol liquid wax is a product that I have used the most successfully to hide paint flaws in a car's finish. You take it off while it's still wet, so it's easy to remove, and then you take a spray bottle filled with pure water and mist the whole thing a few times. You will then see a lot of the imperfections disappear. You then carefully take off the water about 3-5 minutes later with a soft cloth, and lightly buff the wax to give it as brilliant shine. Zymol is expensive, about $9-16 a 16 ounce bottle, but I think it is worth it if you want to easiest way to wax something to the best shine, and hide scratches and shallow valleys in the paint. If it was me, and I already had some Zymol, I'd try it, just to see, since it wouldn't hurt it, but there would be a lot of wax left over if you bought a new bottle, and so it would be a question of whether you wanted to spend the extra money on a lot of unused wax. But hey, if you've got a car you want to look really nice, no problem with that. However, I don't know if the improvement you get will be enough to satisfy the amount of disappointment you've indicated.

Kinda makes me nervous about mine (even though it is the 60's one) because I'm really looking forward to having this.

man that sucks bro. can you send it back for a replacement??? for that much money i would not accept this kind of quality.
~~good news is that i'll look for one of these in a couple months to hopefully score cheap.

Caps Factory X Sheild is the one to have

And even that one had paint problems as I've heard. I waited well over a year for mine when I first ordered it and was fortunate enough to get one from the newer batches which I hear was an improvement from the earlier shields they shipped.

Who makes those cool plastic shield that I've seen some guy dressed up as Cap carrying around at the San Diego Con? I think he's one of the guys Marvel pays to advertise their characters. That's one boss shield!

BB

I got mine today. It's pretty awesome, but I'm a little disappointed with it. The paint problems are a little more obvious than I thought there are a couple spots that look like bubbles. But the thing that I dislike the most about it is that the shield covers up the lettering on the backing. But neither of those things are enough for me to send it back. It's still pretty awesome.

And even that one had paint problems as I've heard. I waited well over a year for mine when I first ordered it and was fortunate enough to get one from the newer batches which I hear was an improvement from the earlier shields they shipped.

Who makes those cool plastic shield that I've seen some guy dressed up as Cap carrying around at the San Diego Con? I think he's one of the guys Marvel pays to advertise their characters. That's one boss shield!

BB

No paint problems on mine....sheild is perfect! I own 2....and the only problem I had from the 1st sheild was it had a small dent on the inward curve of the sheild...not too noticeable because its curved in......2nd one came perfect which hangs on my wall...the other is used for fun/costuming which I gave up doing

I picked up my 1940s shield last week and finally got a chance to open it. All I can say is I'm underwhelmed. There are a couple small scratches in it and a little dent so it's going to have to go back. Beyond that, I'm underwhelmed with the overall look of it, including the paint application. To me, it just looks cheap, not like a $350 prop replica. I collect UC swords and helmets and have a factory x Buffy slayer scythe and of all the prop replica's I have, this one has been the most disappointing. :(

Maybe Sideshow should have taken a page out of UC's book regarding their Gondorian Shield and promoted this as a battle damaged shield in which case the ding and scratches would have been ok. :lol

On a positive note, the backboard look good!

Wow....the thought on the 1960s version was pretty much split with good and bad but I've read I think one or two positive reviews of the Cap 1940s shield and the rest have all been bad....maybe I should jump ship on this one while I can and just keep the classic Cap version...

Just got mine a day or two ago. Happy to have one--though there are two obvious dings (thanks QC), it's not that bad. I now have it up and hanging. Wanted a Cap shield for years.

I have a chance to pick up a scratched up round shield in the $150-200 range. Is it worth it or should I just hold out for a clean one. How much would a clean one cost me?

I picked one up at LCS !front on its awesome and huge when I checked it over at an angle you could see the dimple marks where the bolts were attached !so I was iffy ,so he gave me 100$ off and once I got it home and redrilled some new holes in the backing board and recentered on the board ,it looks awesome !!keep in mind its a wall display !!!I used some car wax and a buffer and shined it to a high gloss !! I am very pleased I got it ! awesome collectible !!! all statues or collectibles have some flaw !! just made on an assembly line !! All in all its very impresssive !!!!!!!

Back