Movies with good use of 3D

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3D in Hobbit : DOS was fine, but only really added to the movie during one sequence for me...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Otherwise I would have felt fine seeing it in 2D

I know alot of people understandably hate 3D on this forum, but I was wondering what movies you feel actually benefitted from using 3D in telling a story or creating an environment or atmosphere, and not as a cheap effect that takes you out of the movie.

My list:

Gravity - Never before have I seen 3D utilized so well that it felt integral to the movie experience.

Hugo - Another movie that greatly benefitted from 3D, especally in scenes with Asa Butterfield crawling through the inner-workings of the train station.

Avatar - The 3D was so immersive it made me forget just how hackneyed the story really was. I can't even watch this movie in 2D without groaning every 10 minutes or so.

Also, how about the worst examples of 3D being used in a film. Not sure if this should include conversions or not.

Edit - either my keyboard is dying or I'm having a stroke. Fixed numerous typo's.

Personally I thought Avatar looked flat in 3D. I expected a lot more. The gimmick doesn't work well. Not with me. I seem to notice the 3D right away, but then my eyes adapt and it is so subtle, that I could do without paying the extra 3 dollars. It's just a crappy cash grab.

:dunno I buy all of my Blu-Rays in 3D (if the option is there)--- Love it. Guess I'm in the minority.

I went from a 90" Mitsubishi 3D to an 80" Vizio 3D for my main viewing area, I pretty much always buy 3D movies even if most of our viewing is in 2D.

Best converted 3D goes to: Jurassic Park, Avengers 2nd place.

Best filmed in 3D goes to: Too many to choose from. :lol

I went from a 90" Mitsubishi 3D to an 80" Vizio 3D for my main viewing area, I pretty much always buy 3D movies even if most of our viewing is in 2D.

You probably know. I'm gonna be getting a new tv next year. I've noticed that some stores like Target don't even carry a 3D tv anymore and are carrying smart tv's. Is 3D going away? Or do they make 3D smart tvs now?

3D will live on, as will Smart TVs.

You will see 4K 3D drop in price in 2014, already happening actually.

OLED 4K 3D is what will take another 10 years to become available to the masses.

3D in Hobbit : DOS was fine, but only really added to the movie during one sequence for me...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Otherwise I would have felt fine seeing it in 2D

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm bummed that I didn't watch Hugo on 3D… such an amazing movie!

IMO and in no particular order:

-Pacific Rim
-Prometheus
-Toy Story 3
-My Bloody Valentine 3D
-Coraline
-Up
-Gravity
-The Adventures of Tintin
-Tron Legacy

Back