Movies with good use of 3D

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know alot of people understandably hate 3D on this forum, but I was wondering what movies you feel actually benefitted from using 3D in telling a story or creating an environment or atmosphere, and not as a cheap effect that takes you out of the movie.

My list:

Gravity - Never before have I seen 3D utilized so well that it felt integral to the movie experience.

Hugo - Another movie that greatly benefitted from 3D, especally in scenes with Asa Butterfield crawling through the inner-workings of the train station.

Avatar - The 3D was so immersive it made me forget just how hackneyed the story really was. I can't even watch this movie in 2D without groaning every 10 minutes or so.

Also, how about the worst examples of 3D being used in a film. Not sure if this should include conversions or not.

Edit - either my keyboard is dying or I'm having a stroke. Fixed numerous typo's.

Last edited:
Hugo is the only use of 3D I've enjoyed in live-action movies. I didn't see Avatar in theaters and haven't seen Gravity yet either. When it comes to animation, I have less issues with it. Especially stop-motion. I saw Coraline in 3D and thought it looked awesome. I didn't really care for the movie itself, but it was a fun experience. I liked all the Pixar and Dreamworks movies I've seen in 3D as well despite the loss of color vibrance.

I didn't manage to see it but I heard Titanic used it well when it was rereleased for the 100 year anniversary of the sinking.

Pretty much any animated movie looks great in 3D

Computer animation. I didn't like seeing Lion King in 3D. Wish the rerelease was just a rerelease but I saw it anyways because it's hands down my favorite Disney movie. Also, I think it'd be better if the colors weren't darkened or muted with the glasses with all the bright and colorful animated movies that are released but that's a minor quibble. The Bluray is 2D so all is well on repeated viewings.

Hugo, Avatar, Pacific Rim, Jurassic Park, Tron Legacy.

My two favorite 3d animated movies are How to Train Your Dragon and Legend of the Guardians The Owls of Ga-Hoole (incredible in 3d) .

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness' use of 3D. Those warp sequences really made the movie. Life of Pi was good in 3D, too.

Back