Most expensive LOTR item you ever come across...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
The works of Tolkien and the man himself has a lot of influence in the world of literature. As such, many related items have become work of art which command quite respectable value in the secondary market. So far, I have not heard of the personal items of Tolkien himself being auctioned off at Christie or other prestigious auction houses.

Normally, items in the range of 6000 USD - 10,000 USD will be his 1st edition, 1st impression 1954 - 1995 books.

Any books which bears his signature will be about 2,000 - 3000 USD more. (https://www.tolkienlibrary.com/pcollier/DSC00003.htm)

The most recent ones are the Children of Hurin special edition signed by both Christopher and Alan Lee. A low-edition number (12/500) was priced at 1500 Euro (at www.tolkienlibrary.com)

Recently I came across this piece of art by BROTHERS HILDEBRANDT at https://www.hobbit.ca/Artwork.html (scroll to the end of the page)

I am really doubtful if anyone would actually pay this price...

Anyone who has come across a very expensive LOTR related item before? Would appreciate if you share your experience.

p.s. I wonder the actual pipe used by him was ever auction before?? :wacky

I have a letter written by J.R.R. Tolkien in 1964 to a little Girl named Lisa. In the letter Tolkien mentions Tom Bombadil and Farmer Giles of Ham. Incidently, the little girl's father was Murray Gellman, the 1969 Nobel Prize winner in Physics! Mr. Gellman actually confirmed to me in an email that the letter is genuine and that it was "lost" at Princeton University in the late sixties. The letter includes the original stamped envelope postmarked from Oxford and is written on Tolkien's personal Basildon Bond stationary. I have it quality framed hanging in my rec-room with all my Weta and other Tolkien items. This is my most prized Tolkien item, my second most prized is my Daddy Rog.

I have a letter written by J.R.R. Tolkien in 1964 to a little Girl named Lisa. In the letter Tolkien mentions Tom Bombadil and Farmer Giles of Ham. Incidently, the little girl's father was Murray Gellman, the 1969 Nobel Prize winner in Physics! Mr. Gellman actually confirmed to me in an email that the letter is genuine and that it was "lost" at Princeton University in the late sixties. The letter includes the original stamped envelope postmarked from Oxford and is written on Tolkien's personal Basildon Bond stationary. I have it quality framed hanging in my rec-room with all my Weta and other Tolkien items. This is my most prized Tolkien item, my second most prized is my Daddy Rog.

Good! Have you ever got to have it valued?

That is really, really a gorgeous item you have!

Not that you will sell it, but good to put some numbers to scale it..

I'd price it at around $5500 to $6500 USD. That may be out of line to some but the item comes with lots of back-up documentation including correspondence from the original owner.

Here is an image of the letter. I'd probably part with it for $10K but it's unlikely I'd get an offer like that.

Here it is displayed with the rest of the collection. The poster was won by my son in a Burger King contest. It is signed by Elijah Wood. Not sure of it's worth. I do have several extra RWOS statues in storage for sell on Ebay in a few years.

Last edited:
Heh, that setup would not survive in earthquake country like mine.

...Recently I came across this piece of art by BROTHERS HILDEBRANDT at https://www.hobbit.ca/Artwork.html (scroll to the end of the page)

I am really doubtful if anyone would actually pay this price...

The "official" gallery site for the Hildebrandt Brothers is SpiderWebArt, and yes, several pieces have sold for those prices, or near them. Here is a listing of their LOTR artwork...

https://www.spiderwebart.com/products.asp?catagory=tolkien&medium=Paintings - Acrylic&head=fun

Heh, that setup would not survive in earthquake country like mine.

Hey Mike- how's your display set up? 'Cause I know I'd lose most of mine...
10.gif

I'd price it at around $5500 to $6500 USD. That may be out of line to some but the item comes with lots of back-up documentation including correspondence from the original owner...

Here is an image of the letter. I'd probably part with it for $10K but it's unlikely I'd get an offer like that...

Usually, when the letter is typed and only the signature is hand-written, they sell in the $2000 to $4000 range (as of a few years ago); add content related to his work and it can double or more, depending on the content. If the whole letter is hand-written (which is rare) it could easily top $10000 or more. And of course, those are only averages... on any given day, the prices could be way up or way down.

I passed up a chance to purchase a typed letter with a hand-written signature, to a woman asking permission to use a LOTR character's name in a poem she was writing, back in the very early 80's. At the time, it was like $700 at an old book store, but that was a heck of a lot of money at the time and just couldn't swing it! Regret number one! :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

A few years ago (3 or 4), two different letters went up for auction at an auction site I used to frequent during my non-sport card collecting days. One sold for just under $3000 and the other (with a quick passing mention of the LOTR) sold for a little over $4000... if memory serves me. I tried to get the lower priced one, but was outbid in the early morning hours when I was asleep! Regret number two!!! :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Here it is displayed with the rest of the collection. The poster was won by my son in a Burger King contest. It is signed by Elijah Wood. Not sure of it's worth. I do have several extra RWOS statues in storage for sell on Ebay in a few years.

Hmm...
- Original Balrog... check.
- Ringwraith on Steed... check.
- Extra ringwraiths on Steed.... check.
- A 10K letter hanging on the wall.... check.
Hmm... wait, what??? NO Cave Troll statue??? :google

Just kidding, hehe. Awesome display and very nice pieces!! :rock

Hmm...
- Original Balrog... check.
- Ringwraith on Steed... check.
- Extra ringwraiths on Steed.... check.
- A 10K letter hanging on the wall.... check.
Hmm... wait, what??? NO Cave Troll statue??? :google

Just kidding, hehe. Awesome display and very nice pieces!! :rock

I have the Cave Troll bust....:monkey5

Back