Mos vs Reeve superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
STM - great film, classic superhero movie.
MOS - awful film, start of the terrible DCCU.

/thread

I have already cast my vote, Superman's Reeve FTW.

That said, I like MoS and BvS a lot. They're awesome superhero movies. They're just bad Superman movies. Cavill is great and you can see he likes and endorses the character, but what to think of a movie that hates it's source so much?

- Perry White is black. Okay, I can live with it because I love the actor
- They cast Lana Lang in the role of Lois Lane
- Costume looks good, but it's not Superman, unless you're into New 52 which was the worst Superman run ever
- They kill Jimmy Olsen, a CIA agent, WTF? !!!!!!
- They kill Superman AND Clark Kent. Sure, they can bring Supes back, but no way they can realistically bring Clark back
- Tornado
- CK is a reluctant Superman
- Space dildoes
- Superman destroys government property
- Superman kills (okay, I'm fine with that, would have done the same :))
- Jor-El killed by Zod ?
- Mercy killed, for no particular reason, by Lex Luthor

Of course, there's also some good in it (Zod, Faora, great special FX) as there was some bad in Superman (less than awesome plot, ridiculous Luthor, no real motivation for Zod, some stupid powers and stupid ending, though as a kid, it didn't matter) but at least they got the character and the atmosphere right.

It's seems most like Reeves because of nostalgia...not because it's actually a good movie.

I like Reeve when I want to experience the purity of the character. When I want to see just straight up big Superhero action then I turn to MOS. I enjoy both movies on different levels.

I guess the more relevant question is, who got the better toys?

I'm constantly tempted to pick up HT's Reeves Superman but the melting emblem thing is off-putting.

Admittedly the Donner films don't hold up that well overall. Reeve's portrayal is still pitch perfect though and just as true to the character as it was in 1977.

Much more of a match than Henry "Oops there goes another skyscraper filled with innocent people" Cavill.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people feel the the need to have to pick one and denigrate the other because both encompass different aspects of Superman throughout his 79 years of existence. There's been different versions of and approaches to the character throughout history and to say one rendition from one particular era is the end all be all "right" way to do it simply because that's the one that you prefer, I personally feel is a little myopic. Just because it's not the one that you prefer and want to see, doesn't necessarily mean it "sucks". It seems to me that the majority of people who prefer Cavill Supes also like and enjoy Reeve Supes, but most people who prefer Reeve Supes seem to utterly loathe Cavill Supes (which exceptions of course for both). As the OP pointed out, I'm not sure if that indicates that people who prefer Reeve genuinely think they're better films, or if it's merely out of nostalgia and they're married to Reeve's portrayal of the character. If I had to choose one it'd probably be Reeve simply because it's the Superman I watched during my childhood (nostalgia), but I think Cavill's is a better and more interesting story and character. I personally like watching him grow and develop through his trials and tribulations and how he comes to possess the ideals and morals that he does by overcoming what is thrown at him and persevering; not simply automatically having them just because he wears a blue and red suit.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who think that the Adam West rendition of Batman is the "right way" to do Batman, but let's be honest, I think for today's world when you're going for a more serious take on the character, "shark repellent bat spray" and a party cape would probably be a little antiquated and campy. As would cellophane S's, spinning back time to simply reverse any damage and all is ok, and wearing red underwear over your outfit.

I thought this was a pick between MOS or 1978 Superman thread. A lot of the campiness with Reeve's superman, like the celophane S weapon, is from Superman 2. I agree MOS is better than Reeve's outing in 2, 3, and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back