Premium Format Morgul Lord Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Witch-king / Lord of the Nazgul PF?

all this pose talk. the people at sideshow are not stupid. they would not make him in an unnatural pose. i am sure it's just the angle and the pics. the cloak also might add to the allusion of an unnatural pose.

Last edited:

Love the Pose.. hate the EX!! Now I can pic up for cheaper somewhere else! Thank You Sideshow! :rock

I'll pre-order this but definitely won't be bothering with the Ex.

(I can't remember which board it was, but somewhere yesterday there were a lot of folks begging for a flaming sword!)

Yes, I see the full weight of the Morning Star is on the ground with some slack in the chain, so I can see why he'd need leveraging if he were a weakling. However, in the film he lifts and swings the mace as if it were a rag doll and not something than weighed a metric ton, so we're led to assume that he must possess some supernatural strength in order to lift it.

Ummmmm......you were saying. You might want to pay careful attention from about the 1:20 to 1:30 mark. :monkey3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNPeJAgBzo&feature=related

Sold sold sold. I love it. The regular edition looks totally screen accurate from head to toe. Awesome! I'm guessing they gave him that pose to show off his cool leg armor. A little strange, but it works.

The exclusive is an easy pass. Not screen accurate and very cheap looking. The regular is an absolute home run. :yess:

Not for me. Wasn't 100% sure about getting him anyway, but I agree the pose is a bit wierd. More than happy with the SSW version. :)

all this pose talk. the people at sideshow are not stupid. they would not make him in an unnatural pose. i am sure its just the angle and the pics. the cloak also might add to the allusion of an unnatural pose.

LOL then you obviously haven't seen the Sauron dio. :rotfl

Ummmmm......you were saying. You might want to pay careful attention from about the 1:20 to 1:30 mark. :monkey3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNPeJAgBzo&feature=related

Fair enough. But it doesn't negate the fact that the pose looks awkward IMO. At first glance I would like to know what the character in question is doing. I don't want to sit there and guess or try to convince myself why he's in the position he's in.

There's just something that seems very disproportionate about it. It looks like it needs some adjusting somewhere, but I just can't place my finger on it exactly. The pose might work fine for some other character, but to me it just doesn't translate well on a fully robed Witch-King IMO. We have one action pose in the form of the SSW statue, so why Sideshow decided not to go with a more simple static pose for this one is a subject for debate.

Last edited:

Looks... ok, but I have weta's statue. So i am good.

I think I will go for the regular one. The exclusive with the flaming sword doesn't look good... In fact, I think it looks like he is holding a big orange toothbrush in his hand !! :slap

29clylt.jpg

fyl3tc.jpg

1exdo9.jpg

aob3oh.jpg

n6cmth.jpg

Now to me, these are the pics that really show what this PF looks like (especially the 2 side pics)! If you base your opinion on the head-on pics, it can look a bit out-of-whack. I think that this is going to grow on some of the people who currently dislike it.

like i said...sculpted fire just doesnt cut it for me. Flaming sword is exactly that...flaming, lol. I knew the flames would look crap.
I can say im a toal PF noob and I love the character so much that I might pick this one up. It was between the ML and Vlad.
As others said maybe i'll even pick up at a cheaper site. Just depends.

n6cmth.jpg

This photo does it for me. I agree head on he looks all bent up, but this is the exact way to display him.

Last edited:

I think that the last picture perfectly captures why this pose is the way it is. It looks terrific from that angle, and clearly is meant to show off the mace as part of the pose. Looks great!

I had to laugh at the orange toothbrush comment though!!

Pretzel is right, he looks all cramped up. They could have found a better, stronger pose to convey his power.

n6cmth.jpg

My favourite angle as well. This is the first time[and hopefully the last] in the PF line where I can recall SS combining aspects of a character from two distinctive scenes/settings. Obviously this PF is based on the battle scene vs Eowyn on the Pelennor Fields and as such that flaming sword sticks out like a sore thumb.....literally. :( Other than that I really like this PF....should make for a great display, my LSB sandwiched between the PF and my SSW statue. :)

There's just something that seems very disproportionate about it. It looks like it needs some adjusting somewhere, but I just can't place my finger on it exactly.

As someone who has a 1/1 scale full Ringwraith setup (with WK Helm and sword/dagger as well), I think I might be able to chime in... :D

1) First off, PF has giraffe neck going on. Look at where his shoulders would be, and then look at his head posture, he is either reptilian or has a double jointed neck. Not movie or prop accurate.

2) Sword is too small on PF, he is supposed to be able to fully wrap BOTH hands around the hilt of the sword. Its a longsword (for a wraith too), not a "regular" length sword. See the attached pictures for some REAL size references. I'm roughly 7-2 in the wraith picture, (see the size of the wraith sword in the picture), then see the WK sword in relation to the wraith blade in the other photo. Now look at the PF...

3) Strain in lifting is caused from tension/weight, not a slack chain as shown in the PF. He's also not showing proper "Flail Handling" (its not a mace, its a flail!) technique, you keep the "head" of your handle down in correlation with the chain, then move in a Swinging motion (centrifugal force). The PFs pose would only result in a jerking tug and be MURDER on your wrist.

4) The cloaks look only "OK". Cloth at this scale can only do so much, but he needs a layer or 2 more and the back of the head/neck looks all off/wrong. But this might be fixed/adjustable somewhat.

Last edited:

It's very rare that I'm critical on a Sideshow product but I must agree that the flaming sword cheapens the overall look. My first thought was how out of place it looks. I guess the thought may have been producing an element that stood out from the blackness of the statue. Most who wanted this PF would probably agree that the blackness and grittyness of this statue is what they wanted all along. Maybe the exclusive could have been a fell beast head or Eowyn's helmet...just a suggestion.

The pose took me a few seconds to figure out...I thought I was looking at a scene from the exorcist with the contorted frame.

Nothing is set in stone so who knows....

2) Sword is too small on PF, he is supposed to be able to fully wrap BOTH hands around the hilt of the sword. Its a longsword (for a wraith too), not a "regular" length sword. See the attached pictures for some REAL size references. I'm roughly 7-2 in the wraith picture, (see the size of the wraith sword in the picture), then see the WK sword in relation to the wraith blade in the other photo. Now look at the PF...

That is glaring to me as well, having had the UC prop and just from simple memory from the film. :slap

Back