Mondo 1/6 Scale He-man and The Masters of the Universe figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my exclusive from Mondo today. Was pretty surprised. Got no tracking or email letting me know it shipped. No signature required either.

What are your thoughts on it?

In truth, a little disappointed. I just feel like it is too small to be displayed with my HT and Sideshow figures. In my mind at least, He-Man should be bulkier and taller. I also still dislike the head sculpt but I knew that going in. It feels more like an action figure than a high-end collectible. I have Skeletor on order and I’m not convinced i will get any more.

Does it feel more like collectible or an action figure? The fact that it is more in line with a Marvel Legend makes me think it is more on that side of the fence.

Well, like many I was getting antsy but held steady and remained patient. I received shipping notification JUST today and, low and behold, it was out for delivery!! So, It was nice to come home to this nice surprise! I get the comparisons many have made as the figure is certainly more along the scale of the 12" Marvel Legends line--however--the paint apps, heft, details (along with the soft goods combo) elevates it higher than Marvel Legends and into a category unto itself as an action figure art piece. Nope, not Hot Toys, QMX, Sideshow or Asmus but a pretty darn nice collector's piece and unique for Mondo's own take on He-Man. Now that I have him in hand, I'm incredibly glad I purchased him! I did watch the cartoon growing up and though I enjoyed it, I wasn't as much a fan of the cartoon as much as I was for the Barbarian/Fantasy story line of the original mini comics. They definitely didn't give much exposition but that's where my imagination took over and filled the gaps. I love the character so (possibly) some bias here but thought I'd share some pics anyway. :wink1:
IMO, well worth it and definitely looking forward to the additional characters!

I appreciate the artwork Mondo placed on the box!

Heman1.jpgHeman2.jpg
Heman3.jpgHeman4.jpg
Heman5.jpgHeman6.jpg

The paint application and details on the accessories are wonderful!

Heman7.jpgHeman8.jpgHeman9.jpg

Eamon described it best on his Youtube review--not feeling the classic 'Mattel' head on the body. It's a neat addition and nice homage, but really nothing more. The head is just undersized and way too soft for the detailed body. It still doesn't change how much I love this figure!

Heman11.jpgHeman12.jpg

The face sculpt of the character is chiseled and smooth--not life-like as much as a comic characterization. Someday I'd love to see a He-Man with some scruff and viking locks--but Mythic Legions (sorta) covered that one =). Still, the multi-tone paint scheme on the skin is pretty nice and I do like the head sculpt.
Heman10.jpgHeman13.jpg
Heman14.jpgHeman15.jpg
Heman16.jpg

A multi-generational reunion of sorts..
Heman17.jpg

And my display cannot wait for Skeletor and the rest! Yeah, I'm digging this line already :clap
Heman18.jpg
Heman19.jpg

My only real complaints after having this in hand is the lack of more dedicated hands for the sword and shield, and the shield handle mechanism is a mess. I had to super glue the shield handle in place. At least the hands are soft and flexible enough to still grip the shield.

I agree though, going forward let's have less cartoon reference and focus more on the mini comics. I don't care about the weird cartoon specific pack in creatures at all. Replace those with more hand options and more character specific accessories.

I think how they handle the skin is what really makes this feel lower end than it could be. The way they just airbrushed shadow on all the muscle detail and going with a solid skin tone color is more what I expect out of an old Toybiz era Marvel Legends figure than a high end collectible. If they instead spent a little budget on painting a skin texture like most 1/6 figures do these days it would really help the figure look more like a proper high end collectible at fit next to those products in a shelf. They spent all that budget nicely painting the weapons and armor and not treating the body with the same care kind of hurts the figure a bit to me. Still great for the price but seeing it so close to being truly high end and not quite hitting the mark is a shame.

Just got an email about Skeletor:
"We wanted to let you know that, due to a delay in production, the Masters of the Universe Skeletor figure will be arriving later than announced. We believe that all orders will now be fulfilled in June. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience as we work to deliver this amazing figure to you."

Personally, I don't mind. I could use the break! And with their TMNT line, each successive release was improved, so hopefully they'll continue to make tweaks with Skeletor.

Mondo's exclusive Faker is now up for pre order on their page.
This is the one with the battle damage head sculpt.

As much as I hate missing out on an alternate head-sculpt I dislike how much they went for more of a zombie is look with the lips torn off, instead of the terminator (missing half a face) look that Faker had with the MOTUC alt head. It makes the face have a totally different vibe that is a big turn off for me, which is a bummer because I usually really like it when he has exposed cybernetics. So this is one instance the regular release is probably good enough for me.

Everybody does the Terminator head with these type of things, which is why we went in a diff direction.

Back