Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

I actually hope this all turns out to be true...I don't know any of you personally so if they end up releasing a great figure I will actually buy it, display and enjoy it, without even eating a nibble of crow and none of you good people will ever be any the wiser! So basically a win / win for me!

Exactly. Now you had better go in to hiding because some posters in this thread are about to completely lose their minds!

Not exactly. If Swedes post the same damn shizz 12 times anyone shows any optimism, than some one might.

Not exactly. If Swedes post the same damn shizz 12 times anyone shows any optimism, than some one might.

Right...I forgot...you make the rules around here. Silly me.

The only real thing we've seen is that sculpt painted up by Kim. Everything else is CG. So take that as you will.

It would be nice to see some more real images....instead of computer images I agree...

Combine the lack of real world pictures, weird body, and a crap load of licenses that we know to be very expensive and already being/been produced by others, and its a recipe for doubt.

If they are legit, M8 should be concerned about their image to the collecting community , and perhaps address these rumors and doubt by showing some progress, no matter how rough or small.....

That clause in the purchasing agreement adds fuel to the fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see their website lists ghostbusters

As Yoda once said, 1/4 Blitzway and Soldier Story are not.

As far as pre-orders go... 25-30? No. If you guessed over 100, maybe 200+, you'd be closer. There are a lot of axe grinders, but for the most part I find people have been positive. If these guys were out to rip people off, there are 1001 much easier ways to do it with 100x higher return.

Last edited:

Lemme tell you the one about the collector guy, the moldy house and his sick kid :lol

they're clearly not out to rip folks off. This is just a big risk they're taking on, and I'll be surprised if it pays off given the fact that they're a new company looking to innovate in some pretty massive ways. If that armature skeleton is good, I'll be buying one just to have on its own. Who knows, perhaps in five years a lot of boutique 1/6 releases will be character-specific bodies on top of a jointed skeleton.

I mean, I guess you need to know what to look for. But really, doesn't it look TOO perfect?

You'd expect to see some seamlines somewhere, with how big the photo is and how detailed it is, you'd expect a blemish somewhere. A camera reflection??

Look at the skull, despite the fact that it's made of multiple pieces, all of the surfaces are completely flush. Even along the edges of the skull, there is no gap between the pieces. The shadows in the cut-out areas of the top of the skull are probably the major dead giveaway.

It's just insane to me that people are giving these guys any credit at all, when they are clearly, at the very least, in way over their head.

It's evident that they've spent money commissioning the headsculpt, and getting some skilled artists to do mock-ups. But I mean, ****, the headsculpt commission was probably the most expensive part, Kim charges maybe a grand or two for the sculpt. The art was probably done by someone on Upwork for a few hundred, website, probably the same. They've probably taken in at least 20-30 orders so far, judging from the reaction here, and on social media, so, even conservatively they already have $6000 in their PayPal account, so they've more than made their money back already. They'll take in a few grand in the next 30-60 days, close out their PayPal account and move on to something else.

Maybe set up Fyre Festival 2.0

Everyone will file a PayPal claim, rinse and repeat.

I was told she gets $15,000 for a head sculpt from someone trying to commission her.

15k wouldn't surprise me at all, even that sounds low to me in this situation. But lots of that money is for lending her name and hence an ounce of credibility while they scramble to sort out a plan.

FYI, If you care about 'The first 1000 are sequentially numbered' part, you better hurry.
Now it's @over 800th and almost getting to 900th...

-EDIT: I think I moved too quick. I might pull out

Do you mean is sold almost 900 preorders?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

maybe.jpg
I'm just reading my order number, that's all

-EDIT: I got #879 and someone from other forum ordered right after me and got #880, so the number is indeed sequential.
lyingB.jpg

I'd rather not get a number than ended up buying something that could potentially be riddled with problems? :dunno It's unfair to the guys who want this to pay $300 up front for a picture of a sculpt and a few renders. :lecture

Especially as they are new on the block the under body makes no sense at all unless you have some sort of naked John Lennon fetish it seems silly. I mean how well are these body's made are they rubber seamless or not? :lecture Another point is your pre ordering a product full payment up front without an estimated release date? They would of been better off charging 50% up front rather than the full price.

Sideshow's been trying to sell a thousand Freddy Kruegers for months, and he's still available. And along come Molecule8 and flog 900 Lennons based on little but promises in a few days.

It's got to be the endoskeleton.

Sideshow, take note. :lol
Hey, I'm also feeling 'not-so-comfortable' pre-ordering $230 item from a new company I never heard of.
I'm putting my money in as I do to Kickstarter item. I just hope it's gonna turn out OK.

View attachment 339094
I'm just reading my order number, that's all

-EDIT: I got #879 and someone from other forum ordered right after me and got #880, so the number is indeed sequential.
View attachment 339098

Have you considered that they didn't start at 0?

When I send someone an invoice via PayPal, I can put whatever invoice or reference number I want.

I know in BigCommerce and 3dcart, you can establish a starting order number. Their website doesn't seem to be built on any established shopping cart, just a simple PayPal button.

I'm curious what the lowest number is.

Just read through the whole thread now....

That skeleton scares me too... Actually a lot
Maybe I'll retreat for now...

This is a bit what I feel like, but I figure it's not a huge gamble in the scheme of what I've spent in 1/6 over the past few years. It could end up being the first of a new level in museum-quality figures or looking no better than your average $100 knockoff.

The way I look at it, right now Molecule8 seems to the only company looking to do something new, innovative and next level in 1/6. HT is going to be churning out Star Wars, Marvel and DC for the next 5+ years so they aren't going to change their model. Blitzway does great figures but thus far only release a few figures a year. Sideshow already overcharges for its comparatively substandard figures. Smaller companies like Star Ace, Asmus and ThreeZero have to service the licenses they have at the price point they've established just to keep pace. And everyone else from knockoff to kits is building off the system already in place. I don't know if Molecule8 can actually pull it off, but at least they're pushing the envelope.

If the invoice number does tie to the figure numbering (mine is over #800) it would suggest that response has been higher than anticipated. If they are now doing a 1,000-figure run, the economics start to become a bit more convincing. 1,000 figures @ $300 gives them $300K in revenue to work with. And that's just for the numbered run. They may run another 1,000+ unnumbered especially if the in-hand quality holds up. So conceivably the company could make $300,000, $600,000 or more before expenses from their first figure release. Not a bad way to launch. But again the road from concept to prototype to in-hand is a long one, and they're going to have to thread the needle. If so, they will immediately get a customer following, raise the bar and launch a company. If not, they will piss off collectors and blow any good will. And sure, there's always the chance that they could take the preorder money and run, leaving a trail of unpaid vendors and empty handed collectors.

Back