Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

No I disagree with that....while I can understand a complex figure like Jack Sparrow or Batman being a difficult production, what excuse does SSC have for a Jason or Freddy level figure that is priced with 20 dollars of some of these others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have the buying power of a company that makes dozens of figures per year like HT. It's like anything; the more you buy the cheaper it is.

No I disagree with that....while I can understand a complex figure like Jack Sparrow or Batman being a difficult production, what excuse does SSC have for a Jason or Freddy level figure that is priced with 20 dollars of some of these others?

Not defending here but trying to rationalize. It could be down to the fact that they are a US company dealing in what is primarily a HK/Chinese market (1/6) and have to fight or pay a premium for manufacturing space due to being a foreign company. Throw in a smaller run (1000 for Freddy and 2000 for Jason) that increases cost, then top it off with merchandising costs. What I've heard/read is that the costs on these licensing for the older movies isn't cheap and easy. Threezero had to make a H6 Michael because the rights to make any earlier ones were a nightmare to obtain and not worth the added cost.

The second quote is Jerry.
I actually think he does have a point. It would be interesting to hear Nanjin's thoughts on this.

That second quote is correct. Just think back to early years of SS SW. SS was pumping out complete SW figures with a slew of accessories for $60. You can even get a headsculpt now for $60 let alone a full licensed figure. Medicom were also putting out very nice figures for the time at around $150 each. People wanted SS to make that same quality for $60. Wasn't ever going to happen. And now that Sideshow has been putting out some fantastic figures this year with Ash, Lobo, Freddy people now whine about price.

Not to mention, licences for franchises like Star Wars and Marvel were a whole lot cheaper back then when SW was basically on hiatus and superheroes weren't big movie draws

That second quote is correct. Just think back to early years of SS SW. SS was pumping out complete SW figures with a slew of accessories for $60. You can even get a headsculpt now for $60 let alone a full licensed figure. Medicom were also putting out very nice figures for the time at around $150 each. People wanted SS to make that same quality for $60. Wasn't ever going to happen. And now that Sideshow has been putting out some fantastic figures this year with Ash, Lobo, Freddy people now whine about price.

I think it's somewhat fair when they're charging more than Hot Toys for figures that are fairly bare-bones, and Hot Toys are almost certainly charging over the odds in the first place.

For my money I think things were at their best around 2013. Hot Toys started knocking it out of the park for the first time in terms of likeness, sculpted detail, paintwork, and that sweet spot of value for money. Enterbay put out those amazing 1/4 Dark Knight figures around that time IIRC, and the 1/4 Terminator stuff not long after.

Now there's maybe one or two 1/6 figures a year I'm interested in, I've found myself buying a lot of 6-7" figures and mecha instead. Companies like Sentinel and 1000toys are currently killing it for making interesting, innovative collectibles with amazing quality and engineering. Bandai keep making solid offerings from old anime series I love. Definitely that kind of thing has become more appealing to me than yet another Leto Joker, Hemsworth Thor, RDJ Iron Man, etc. When Molecule8 popped up offering a Lennon I was glad to see a new company try to get outside the box, but you can glance back through the thread to see my thoughts on how they've handled launching their company and product...

He is, yet was ridiculed for saying it.

Well, yes because everyone here has been collecting for years, which makes them experts on manufacturing.

Which is M8's problem.

I remember Vijay speaking in the Hottoycast about how he bought a bunch of different bodies to see how they worked and he took the best features out of all of them to make the M8 body.

Because that's how manufacturing works. You just buy one of every TV at Best Buy and take them all apart and then tell the factory to just make a TV with all these amazing features and they just do exactly what you say.

I know manufacturing of figurines hence I know they haven’t started mass production; they’re still working on the prototype prime for mass production

Well, that's not too bad. Isn't the side by side of the head the old glasses though? Before they became clunky?

molecule8-1-6th-scale-john-lennon-glasses-001.jpg

Photo etched metal glasses have been common place in 1/6 scale for years. Hot Toys gave their "Neo" and "Director" unlicensed figures Photo etched metal glasses back in 2000. The main problem is that photo etched metal glasses don't have much shape, they're flat sheet metal that's bent into shape and have sharp hard edges with no roundness and can't accurately recreate the shape of the real glasses:
22730113_374216699702537_7379553044550123754_n.jpg

This is exactly what Molicule8 is using, old technology. At least Lennon's type of glasses can get away with the limitations of the technology better than most other types.
View attachment 374303

Attachments

• Hot Toys The Director Year 2000 001.jpg
    Hot Toys The Director Year 2000 001.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Photo etched metal glasses have been common place in 1/6 scale for years. Hot Toys gave their "Neo" and "Director" unlicensed figures Photo etched metal glasses back in 2000. The main problem is that photo etched metal glasses don't have much shape, they're flat sheet metal that's bent into shape and have sharp hard edges with no roundness and can't accurately recreate the shape of the real glasses:
22730113_374216699702537_7379553044550123754_n.jpg

This is exactly what Molicule8 is using, old technology. At least Lennon's type of glasses can get away with the limitations of the technology better than most other types.
View attachment 374303

Hot Toys the director glasses were pliable and were actually so soft you could blow them and they would bend I hope to **** they aren't like that.

They look thicker and better thank god.

Hot Toys the director glasses were pliable and were actually so soft you could blow them and they would bend I hope to **** they aren't like that.

They don't look better, not by a long shot.

I have the Neo set and they are really thin and delicate, but the production Lennon glasses look to be exactly the same type of material in those extreme closes ups. We'll see how they are when we get them in hand. Having just looked at the glasses on Blitsway's Egon, the Lennon glasses could've been done so much better. Egon's glasses look just amazing.

This guys only joy is negating any positive comment on this thread.

Everything doesn't have to rainbows, puppydogs, and lollipops. If they **** up, which is quite often, I'm going to speak my mind. If you have a problem with that I guess you should go probably go cry in your pillow. Or go cry into M8 because we're being mean to them, you know since you're on the payroll.

Everything doesn't have to rainbows, puppydogs, and lollipops. If they **** up, which is quite often, I'm going to speak my mind. If you have a problem with that I guess you should go probably go cry in your pillow. Or go cry into M8 because we're being mean to them, you know since you're on the payroll.

Its the only explanation as to why some folks on this thread get so FURIOUS when M8 is attacked...the attackers are kind of having fun with it but the folks who are compelled to defend them seem so...angry...cannot imagine why the rage...

Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Dammit. Busted. All that pre-order payolla was pretty sweet too.

Must be a clear night there - the tinfoil hat's are picking up some good stuff. OR, maybe YOU'RE the shills, working for Company X to destroy the competition! dun, dun, DUN!

Seriously, if you can't take a snarky reply to your snarky comment without getting butt hurt, maybe you're the one who should stay out and/or get over yourself. After all it was just HIS opinion that you're blind right? Just an opinion.

But can you actually see through the glasses? What type of lenses do they have? Are they bifocals? Trifocals?

I heard that anyone keeping their pre-orders with Molecule8 will receive a pair of (extremely limited edition) rose-tinted glasses.

1970s-John-Lennon%E2%80%99s-Glasses-2.jpg

Do they have to wait for Lennon's former optometrist's estate to approve them?

Back