Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

Lennon looks absolutely amazing. From this photo and the description this sounds like a very high end figure, thus the term "museum quality". I don't think $299 is absurd considering it comes with 2 head sculpts, although they should include a guitar. If the production piece turns out like this I'll definitely pick it up.
Lots of question marks. I wouldn't roll the dice just yet, as there are so many areas where something could go wrong at this point. Best case scenario is you get one of the best values I've ever seen in the 1/6 scale market for a figure of the quality they are implying here. Worst case scenario is the company can't produce at all and leaves collectors frustrated and angry a la Shrunken Head Studios. Likelihood is we get something in the middle, where the quality is more akin to ThreeZero or Blitzway maybe, and some customers are happy while others are upset that it didn't turn out like the prototype.

I'm assuming we get some kind of rubberized, PVC, or silicone skin, by the way, considering they are using a skeletal frame as the base for the body. And that in itself is a huge gamble. Most rubber bodies I've seen don't have frames that look anything like a human skeleton. I'm not sure how much utility you get from that. Material itself would have to be extremely thin to not look bulky and unnatural, and then you run into problems of durability. Or maybe they'll just dress the skeleton with clothes :lol But his chest shows on the music video the figure is based off of, so at the very least you would need some kind of exposed skin for that.

They're all pretty clearly custom and renders to me.

Nice renders. The wear pattern on the boot bottom sells it. Also the beads on the mannequin look more like something from an estate reference photo. The belt buckle and glasses would be pretty standard renders. Nevertheless, it does show the level of detail they are planning. Hopefully it holds through production. However I can't see how the glasses will be able to fold unless they are engineered differently.

Got to say it looks really promising with the riggt licence's they could definitely find a market between hot toys and the cultking price range

KA Kim is definitely still backing it on her FB. She painted the sculpt - so, we won't see better than the proto :lol

Yikes...I cannot imagine paying to pre-order an unseen figure...a picture of the headsculpt which may or may not have been hand painted versus CG painter for the picture does not provide enough information. As for the price...it is not crazy but the catch here is that they are charging more than Hot Toys (established leader) and we are hoping that this will mean that the product may hopefully be superior. The reality is that a small start up company has just purchased the rights to use John Lennon's likeness and has to pass the cost on to its customers because they do not have enough going on to absorb the cost....the fact that is is only $300 has me concerned for the figure's eventual quality when you consider this.

Well in the spirit of John.. they've left us with a lot to "Imagine" at this point.

But I will say that head... that damn head and the GLASSES (those can't be real right? Have you ever seen anything look that realistic in 1/6?) and the box.. and the DREAM... I want in and would gladly fork over 300 right now if I just had a bit more confidence this company was real.

Also listed on their FP those licenses... Taxi Driver, LOTR figures that could possibly not be rubbish ala Asmus...

I'm Imagining a lot of great things right now...

You mean-those all are not real stuff photos?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

If the rest of the PRODUCTION figure looks as good as the prototype head sculpt it will be the easiest $300 I have ever spent...can you imagine if Hot Toys put a figure up for pre-order through Sideshow with nothing more than one of JC Hong's Instagram pictures of his hand holding the headsculpt and descriptions of all of the other amazing things waiting inside the box...that technically would be released as soon as next week...this forum would explode!

Judging by FB, they've had quite a few preorders based off KA Kim's endorsement and a few pictures/renders, so not such a bad move on their behalf. They must have thousands of dollars by now.

There are always collectors who'll jump on and take the risk. I'm not one of them :lol

If there will be paying split monthly, I'll trie to jump on...But I don't believe body they show is real...

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

IF this is real and I hope it to be- HT is now unseated as king- 300 a bargain if these features are real. I however do not want to pay for it ahead of time to a company that we may see disappear- if TRUE many will have a stunning collector's piece!

Ordered. How could I not? :rock

(for those asking, there was no FLEX plan type thing that I could see)

I think this is actually shipping next month.

Now I just need a custom 1:6 white Steinway piano to go with it.

I really want to be proven wrong on this one but I am still not able to silence my BS detector on this...love Lennon, love the work of Kim, love the idea of another major player (a la Blitzway) to shake things up and create some consumer winning competition. The fact that there is not even a hint anywhere of this so called "singing sculpt..." Kim was teasing the sculpt's hair alone for weeks...now we are supposed to believe that this other secret sculpt is going to be in this box that comes out in a few weeks...?

I think this is actually shipping next month.
Considering there are no pictures of the clothing or even prototype castings shown of several accessories, I would be surprised if this happened. But pleasantly surprised. Be great if they put out a high quality product, and can do it quickly.

Considering there are no pictures of the clothing or even prototype castings shown of several accessories, I would be surprised if this happened. But pleasantly surprised. Be great if they put out a high quality product, and can do it quickly.

It does seem strange. Maybe it is a typo on the site then? Language barrier referring to the pre-order? :dunno

Did anyone mention that when you order the money is taken strait away? Because it is. FYI. :lecture

Last edited:

I've seen plenty of figures from other companies in the $250-300 range that are nowhere near the quality of Hot Toys. A higher price point really means nothing in regards to final quality.

Back