Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

I don't think anyone was doubting that this was going to be on the expensive side seeing the way that Molecule8 were advertising themselves, and while I think $300 might price out a lot of casual buyers, I'm fairly sure that Molecule8 will have thought this through pretty carefully and they'll find their market. There's no doubt what we've seen of the figure so far is absolutely outstanding, and we haven't even seen the outfit or the second singing sculpt yet.

But yes, this is (IMO) a good course of action.

Perhaps it's going to be somewhere between a custom and a mass-produced figure. If they can get a great level of quality for $300, more collectors will jump on it.

There's a "development" progress bar on their site. They're saying May.

07-JL_YellowSunglasses_001.jpg

08-JL_Necklace_004.jpg

section-image-1.jpg

12-CowboyBoots009b.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.38.56.jpg

Yeah, they're definitely aligning themselves more towards the custom end of the market while keeping their prices (sort of) within the reach of a buyer used to mass-produced figures. It'll be interesting to see whether it works out for them.

Yeah, they're definitely aligning themselves more towards the custom end of the market while keeping their prices (sort of) within the reach of a buyer used to mass-produced figures. It'll be interesting to see whether it works out for them.

They say, "Accurate. Detailed. Museum Grade."

Especially if they're really going to use this body on their figures!? :lol

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.42.11.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.41.57.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.44.38.jpg

Very strange not to show the full figure. All the quality can be mitigated if the scale of the head is off, if the clothing aren't well tailored, etc.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

But will it be full figure for 300?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Have they some payment plan like BC?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

2 headsculpts also 1 normal and 1 singing I'm curious to see what the outfit looks like. :lecture
from what I've seen I'm impressed not bad for the price.

I almost want to be the Guinea pig here. You can use PayPal to checkout so that's kind of reassuring. I might just do it. I want to believe.

Threw caution to the wind and pre-ordered. Only a little concerned that it says "May 2017" - as if it's coming/shipping next month - and there is not full prototype to show.

Threw caution to the wind and pre-ordered. Only a little concerned that it says "May 2017" - as if it's coming/shipping next month - and there is not full prototype to show.

If you've paid, you're one of the first customers. So, drop them a line and ask.

I was looking at everything and at first was just blown away. The level of detail on the accessories is truly insane. And then to see the whole thing for $300 is just on another level. But...Then I really started to look at everything. Other than the head, is everything CG?

Other than the head, is everything CG?

Pretty sure the other images are.

They don't seem to have enough information up about shipping, so I'd expect May to bring a full figure reveal, but not necessarily shipment - unless of course they're doing some odd promotional work where pre-ordering an unseen figure is part of the fun. Maybe the price goes up when the figure is revealed and shipping.

Other than the head, is everything CG?

Also, if you look at the picture of the boots I posted on the previous page, the background has a watermark partly showing. Did they steal a stock image or something else? I say it's rendered because the brown unpainted boot is the exact same size and angle in the image.

I wonder if they are scanning the boots? The leather edging has a lot of subtle variations and the brown boot isn't crisp like an image built by a sculptor. The low areas round out like a 3D scan.

Lennon looks absolutely amazing. From this photo and the description this sounds like a very high end figure, thus the term "museum quality". I don't think $299 is absurd considering it comes with 2 head sculpts, although they should include a guitar. If the production piece turns out like this I'll definitely pick it up. The concern is the company has no track record and there are still question marks as to its reputation. We know they've used one of the very best sculptors in the industry and they clearly hired a top talent for the paint master. If they've hired someone like Yunsil or Iris for the tailoring then the suit will also be great. And all the details look spot on. However there can be a long road from prototype to production. Producing a good 1/6 figure requires a solid workflow pipeline. This could be a case of a company spending $5K+ on a kick ass prototype and and delivering a figure that looks nothing like it. They are also developing their own body, but hopefully that's being done with someone like Phicen.

That said, this could be an interesting market niche if Molecule can actually deliver. Sure the $299 price point puts them above Hot Toys as well as small companies like Star Ace, but it's cheaper than customs, which can easily go $500-$1,000+.

The high end talent and vendor resources are certainly out there to produce museum quality figures--sculptors, tailors, and manufacturing facilities--if someone is willing to pay top dollar and also do the QC. If Molecule been able to put together a vendor pipeline that enables them to sell licensed figures for $299-$399+ I think they could certainly carve out a market among the high end figure collectors. For example I bought the Asmus Gandalf which ran about $200. It's okay but not great. If Molecule can produce a Gandalf with the same quality as the Lennon prototype, I'd gladly pay $100 or even $200 more. One of the reasons I haven't preordered Asmus's Legolas yet, although I will, is because I'll basically be adding another character to the line as opposed to adding a 1/6 figure that blows me away. So given the choice between a $200 Asmus and a $300 museum quality Molecule, I'd absolutely spend the extra $100.

In addition to Lord of the Rings, I'd also be interested in Big Trouble in Little China, the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Willy Wonka and Ghostbusters (although they will be hard pressed to outdo the Blitzways). I'm not sure if they are planning to limit the runs to 500 numbered pieces, but that would make them more collectible and potentially valuable. 500 pieces @300/per is $150K gross, but then you have to back out all various licensing, vendor, manufacturing, packaging and shipping costs, so who knows what profit margin they're working with. Maybe the 500 represents the LE run, and they do a step down "B" run with one head sculpt, fewer accessories, no number or CoA and maybe a lower price point. That would still be acceptable to me if I bought the LE figure and it would help protect them from knockoffs.

I'd like to have a little more reassurance about the company, but I may risk the $300 on Lennon and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and blown away.

But will it be full figure for 300?

• Custom designed John Lennon body
• Mark I Endoskeleton (30cm)
• Two (2) interchangeable head sculpts
• Singing and resting facial expressions
• Finely detailed sculpted hair
• Interchangeable hands for various gestures
• Classic yellow-tinted glasses
• Bespoke tailored fabric suit
• Trademark cowboy boots from the “Imagine” era
• Beaded choker necklace with tassels
• Custom engineered figure stand
• First 500 numbered Limited Edition

The endoskeleton looks absolutely incredible.

I was looking at everything and at first was just blown away. The level of detail on the accessories is truly insane. And then to see the whole thing for $300 is just on another level. But...Then I really started to look at everything. Other than the head, is everything CG?

I would guess everything else is CGI. The photos of the boots, beads, glasses and belt buckle are probably stock or maybe historical images from the Lennon estate just to show reference, although I suppose they could be renders.

The endoskeleton looks absolutely incredible.

Agreed. Something like this could be a game changer if it works. Although I wonder if they are planning to sheath these in silicone. It will be interesting to see how it works. Not sure the reason for the skull.

I'll probably do so as well. I'd guess they mean it's going to be fully shown May 2017. It will probably be 9 months to a year before it gets in hand.

Last edited:

I would guess everything else is CGI. The photos of the boots, beads, glasses and belt buckle are probably stock or maybe historical images from the Lennon estate just to show reference, although I suppose they could be renders.

The boots are CGI. Both images.

11-CowboyBootClay.0000.jpg

And then this is the similar size and angle of image. Minor difference.

12-CowboyBoots009b.jpg

Like I said - They have used a stock image background with the watermark still showing.

I think it's all CGI part from the Lennon sculpt.

Back