Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys,... Calling all BAT-FREAKS, BAT-FREAKS come in!

Just got me a Armory Batman,...did not buy a DX12 since I wanted to customize mine and would be spending more than on my lose armory BAT.
Now I can focus my money on the upgrades.

Love it and it looks nice,...(just donĀ“t like his thighs, they are too huge)

NOW TO THE QUESTIONS:

1) Head - I like the armory cowl, I just think it is a bit too thin,... what do you guys think of the new BEN CHOI cowl, or the version 1 Ben Choi
Is it worth the upgrade? Somehow the Choi cowl might be a bit too big (also damn expensive) couldĀ“t find good comparison pictures. Would you sell the armoury head to get a Ben Choi? What do you think?

2) Capes - Capes - Capes ... the stock one is very stiff, sooo.... lForigno or Tony Mei. Tony had movie accurate fabric that is now gone,...what does that mean?
How does his recent capes look, if the accurate fabric is gone??? Also, are they really better than lForignos 20$ capes? His are Rayon and he claims they are the
most accurate. DonĀ“t know what to make out of it all. What do you guys think and why?

3) What cape length do you guys like the most? Battle lenght or regular length?

4) Armory Bat seems to be Dark knight and DX12 seems to be Dark knight rises - what movie is the gloves mod from exactly?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Here is the armoury head and mouth

Here is the Ben Choi with Kai mouth (mouth is a cast of the Medicom)

Here is the armoury head and mouth

Here is the Ben Choi with Kai mouth (mouth is a cast of the Medicom)

That Kai mouth is awesome. Is it still available? Glad I got it all those years ago. Had to sand it down a bit, but overall a great likeness and expression.

Where did you get that Ben Choi head? What's the difference there between this and the Stock head? Thanks in advance

My custom bats.:)

MRM cowl
Robbie's mouth
Tony mei cape
Dx12 modified body

IMG_4682.jpg

I'm after a modded medicom TDK cowl if anyone has one to part with. Can pay well and also have a Ben Choi for trade plus cash.

:peace

I finally got some time and finished modifying my DX12.
I had learned to hate that figure and almost never took it out of its box.
There were just too many issues; the crappy cape, the horrendous googly eyes and derpy mouth plates, the bottom heavy skinny body, the droopy shoulder armor etc...

A while back I bought a custom rayon cape, I cut off the glove straps, reshaped the gauntlets around the gloves and I slightly widened the ankles.
I also removed the DX12 PERS mechanism so I could move the eyes independently, I painted the eyelids black and got a Robbie faceplate.
I later bought an armory cowl, I removed the PERS system from that one too and I'm very satisfied with it.

I really wanted to modify the ****** body and thought about many possibilities but it's only when I saw Irok's modified figure that I knew it was the way I wanted to go.
I switched the body for a TTM19 knockoff, it's not for the faint of heart but it is well worth it.

My photos are not great but they show what's been done and I now really love a figure I used to hate.

IMG_3795_zpsclozlucv.jpg

IMG_3790_zps4ny4umde.jpg

IMG_3786_zpsq9hnmqv2.jpg

Modified DX12 cowl:
IMG_3740_zpsb9xshs2w.jpg

You need to cut off the rubber neck on the new body:
IMG_3748_zpsm0pnelsh.jpg

You also need to saw off the bottom of the DX12 (or armory) neck and put in an adapter to attach it to the body:
IMG_3744_zpsrkgngoal.jpg

I'm terrible at sewing but it's sturdy:
IMG_3747_zps4r5azrdi.jpg

Finally a body worthy of Batman!
The sleeves are a real pain to put on the muscular arms and some adjustment and re-gluing of the left biceps plate was needed (the left arm is slightly larger than the right one on the new body).
IMG_3746_zpsbegjrdc6.jpg

The new body has a slimmer waist so removing links from the belt was necessary:
IMG_3738_zpsphaflswi.jpg

The figure looks great and the wider frame makes the shoulder armor look good.
I couldn't be happier with my Dark Knight!

I forgot to mention that because the new body is taller, shorter feet pegs should be used and some light padding should be added to the calves to fill in the boots.

I have the MRM cowl, and the robbie's mouth plate, but it doesn't fit very well....
I'd like to try the neutral face plate from the armory cowl, but before i'd like to see how it fits with the cowl..
So does anyone have pictures of MRM cowl with the neutral armory face plate?

I custom remade the legs so it can look more film accurate.

had thought about it for a while, but finally got the nerve to try it.

still got work to do on the upper body and cowl.

IMG_2020-----------.jpg

comparison between dx12 lower body and custom lower body

IMG_2011-------------.jpg

Thanks, Cap'n Cook.

I unstitched and removed the entire suit from the waist down.

Next, I custom fashioned the new suit legs from a black mesh material that matched the upper body.

Then, cut and pasted the appropriate armor parts onto those legs.

I think it's similar to what Thrustmaster and elvis1976 each did a few years back.

started doing the arms to make them more accurate to the film.

also buffed up the biceps, as hot toys dx12's looks a bit small.

IMG_2032------------------.jpg

IMG_2029---------------.jpg

IMG_2032------------------ set.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2032------------------ set2.jpg
    IMG_2032------------------ set2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
finished modding the body of my dx12 to make it as close to screen accurate as I could.

took up most my free time for three weeks, but I'm finally satisfied.

next up is modding the medicom cowl & getting it repainted.

this bootleg Bruce head is just a placeholder,

but I'll probably do the same mods again on a second figure to make
an unmasked Bruce Hong Kong scene with backpack.

IMG_2051------------------bg.jpg

IMG_2054---------------------bg.jpg

IMG_2047-------------bg.jpg

tons of work to finally get a Dark Knight figure that I was pleased with, but worth it.
Here's an early look of what it looks like in full Bats mode with a cowl and cape.
This isn't the final cowl I'll be using, but it'll suffice for these pics.

IMG_2056------------------.jpg

IMG_2058-------------------bg.jpg

Great photo irok84.

Yeah, I remember seeing your posts about that mod! You switched to a different body to make the dx12 more buff.
You mentioned the only drawback was that chestpiece could no longer close
in the back because of the bigger body you used (though not noticeable with cape).

I thought I was done modding my dx12 over a year ago, but the legs of the suit bugged me.
As I was doing the legs mod a couple weeks, I thought I'd try customizing the arms too.
Also bulked up his arms (from biceps to forearms) a bit too -- since dx12's arms do look a bit smallish.
I'm pleased with how the finished product came together. Overall body looks beefier, is more film accurate,
and is still in scale with all the other Bruce/Batman figures in my collection.

a couple side-by-side pics of my custom dx12 with a stock dx12:

IMG_2089---------------------.jpg

IMG_2093------------------.jpg

finished modding the body of my dx12 to make it as close to screen accurate as I could.

took up most my free time for three weeks, but I'm finally satisfied.

next up is modding the medicom cowl & getting it repainted.

this bootleg Bruce head is just a placeholder,

but I'll probably do the same mods again on a second figure to make
an unmasked Bruce Hong Kong scene with backpack.

View attachment 327741

View attachment 327742

View attachment 327743

What boots are those?

Back