Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is so quiet now, with armory bats around. How about a bunch of pics of the different HS and mouthpieces with pros and cons (according to yours truly) and whatnot, for farts and giggles. Plus, I haven't posted here in ages. Here weee go...
HS: Medicom NO PERS
PROS: Most accurate looking cowl available, IMO. If you can find the right painter to repaint this sucker. Which brings us to...
CONS: Out of the box, the paint is flat, the head is squished, and the sculpt is just too smooth.
Mouthpiece: Default.
(Excuse the quality. Old pics, old camera)
Med2_zps1365d271.jpg

Med1_zps9a4160bb.jpg

HS: Custom medi bats by MRM. NO PERS
PROS: If you don't like the default HT sculpt, this is a popular second choice. Looks almost as good as a modified Medi head, the overall shape is very different from HT's, could look better or worse, from different angle and lighting conditions.
CONS: the shape does look weird, from the front. Up close, default paint up is rough. Up close, the sculpt has a very rough, sand paper-like texture.

Mouthpiece: eBay. Good sculpt (based on HT's Bruce), good paint, no complaint.
IMG_1627_zpsa69bf0cc.jpg

IMG_1629_zps5bb1fc23.jpg

IMG_1632_zpsf0fa0f50.jpg

Mouth piece: Kai studio.
PROS: Based on the medi mouth sculpt, it is, by itself a very good sculpt. Nice and clean paint app.
CONS: The sculpt is oversized. Looks somewhat fine here, but the chin is way too big, it actually sticks out the bottom of the HT sculpt.
IMG_1635_zps256661b1.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsa2fdde3a.jpg

NO PERS DX12
PROS: Like the HT sculpt, but hate PERS? You can frankenstein this bad boy by taking the PERS sculpt out (hollow out the cowl), and replace it with whatever eyes sculpt you have lying around, I'm sure they'll all look as good (carved my HT BW). This has that extreme scowl/squint look, everyone loves so much.
CONS: It's actually a lot of work to get this done, my advice is to NOT DO THIS MOD!

Mouthpiece: robbiethepainter's.
PROS: good sculpt, good paint.
CONS: Chin is a bit big, too square jawed.
eye7_zpsc3b487cb.jpg

eye5_zps2a41f2a6.jpg

DX12 painted eyelids.
PROS: Easy mod, paint them eyelids black. 100% improvement.
CONS: Doesn't change the fact that it's still wide eyed.

Pers_zpsa3219077.jpg

Best of the bunch (I think)
Batman Armory HS. Just buy this one and forget all the other custom nonsense.
IMG_1650_zps2b3a1136.jpg

IMG_1664_zps8f6e22f6.jpg

I think that this one is the best. Maybe the hardest to achieve, but I don't think that the armory cowl is such an improvement to spend 100$ for a spare part. This custom cowl is awesome, armory cowl is not so different from a stock DX12 with painted eyelids.

I think that this one is the best. Maybe the hardest to achieve, but I don't think that the armory cowl is such an improvement to spend 100$ for a spare part. This custom cowl is awesome, armory cowl is not so different from a stock DX12 with painted eyelids.

The result of this mod is great, I'm not gonna lie. But, it's a lot of work, plus I'm one of the few that actually like PERS, if the sculpt looks right.

Round 2... Wayne sculpt. New collectors should know that Hot Toys has released 3 other Wayne sculpt, before theDX12.
Both the Original Costume release get a Wayne sculpt, each, and one with the first release of the Dark Knight suit. All those sculpts looked good, at the time, but, HT improved so much over the years, that the older sculpts look pale, in comparison to the newer ones.
With that said, I will not be reviewing the older Wayne sculpts. Let's start with...
DX12 Wayne. (Or Armory Wayne)
PROS: Very realistic looking sculpt, HT's production paint is unbeatable.
CONS: HT has never quite nailed a Bale sculpt yet, usually it's always the case of "almost there". But with this sculpt, enough little things are wrong, that the likeness is almost completely off. From a certain angle, it looks more like Bale. Mostly, it doesn't. If this sculpt was sold, without any Batman brand or association, I don't think I'd recognize the face. (Remember that this review is a personal opinion, don't yell at me).
NOTE: If for some reason, you want to purchase more of this sculpt, it's widely available on eBay, both HT's and knockoffs (with slightly different sculpt, like bigger forehead, etc).
up9_zpsc9d53c87.jpg

up8_zps79c187f6.jpg

Custom Bruce Wayne by Imaresqd1.
PROS: The most accurate looking sculpt, IMO.
CONS: The paint will make or break this sculpt. The sculpt is still by no means perfect. Under different lighting, it can look odd. The neck is a bit long.
NOTE: This sculpt was not mass produced, and are sold out. Some collectors here do have them for sale every now and then, keep a look out.
IMG_1688_zpsee84ef46.jpg

IMG_1684_zpscfe85b30.jpg

IMG_1683_zps3369aea1.jpg

Iminime Cleric Preston Sculpt.
PROS: Look at this sculpt! It totally works as Wayne! Right?... Anyway, likeness is pretty good, paint is top notch. I didn't try the Patrick Bateman sculpt, because he has a bit of a mullet.
CONS: I fear that this is another case of "almost there". Overall, I can definitely tell that this is Bale, but something looks wrong here, maybe it's the hair? Face too thin/long? Nose too long? Can't quite put my finger on it.
NOTE: Iminime sells this sculpt, contact them if you're interested. (Not sure about availability)
IMG_1710_zpsb1e69483.jpg

IMG_1709_zps112bffbe.jpg

IMG_1707_zps8d66fd3b.jpg

Last but not least.... I bet not a lot of you know this next sculpt.
Custom Wayne. This was made by an artist here on SSF, but he's successful now, I'm not sure he'd want to be associated with this sculpt, so he shall remain nameless for now. Unless, he sees this, and raises his hand.
PROS: There was a time... Not long ago, in this galaxy, not so far away, that I thought this was it... This was my best Wayne sculpt, this was as good as it's gonna get. I must've been high. (Sorry Nameless artist... I'm still a fan). This was modified from a HT John Connor sculpt, so there's some likeness there. Overall, looking at it now, I think this is what a Comic book version of Bale/Wayne would look like, or something like that.
CONS: The sculpt and the paint is really rough.
IMG_1700_zps03950406.jpg

IMG_1698_zpse83ca9b6.jpg

IMG_1704_zps090da0d2.jpg

In this case I prefer DX12 stock. Hey EKT, have you got the possibility to show us a DX12 cowl (maybe with painted eyelids) with a neutral armory mouth? :)

Thank you very much! Armory is better (second picture I guess), but it's not that "mother of all cowl"! The difference between armory and a good painted no crossed eyes dx12 are not enormous. I am currently waiting for what you call the "eBay mouth", and if it looks as good as you and other people shown, I think that I really cannot complain for missing the armory release. Thank you again!

Its beyond me how anyone can say the DX12 Wayne sculpt doesn't look like Bale at all. Funny how perceptions go. Regardless of inaccuracies, it still looks just like him. :lol The Adam sculpt also looks like Bale but it also looks like a young George Bush. I dont care for it. I dont like the IMINIME sculpt....

The last two pages of this thread is golden. A great synopsis of what is great and near great. Thank you for posting these pictures!

This such a maddening figure insomuch of its intriguing inaccuracies, the continuing quest to perfect it, and the sheer passion it brings out in collectors and customizers.:clap

Back