1/6 MMS188 The Dark Knight Rises: Selina Kyle/Catwoman Figure Full Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys MMS188 The Dark Knight Rises: Selina Kyle/Catwoman Figure Full Specs & P

It still looks no more like Hathaway than with smaller Irises. What it does do is give the face a more puppy/doe look, just like the eyes on some manga/anime character designs. That does not make up for the missing "mousy" in the sculpt which is the strongest thing about Hathaway's visage.

Knock yourselves out with an eye repaint when you get the figure in hand. Mine will stay stock, well futzed and dramatically lit, with enough highlights and shadow details to sell the likeness.

Re: Hot Toys MMS188 The Dark Knight Rises: Selina Kyle/Catwoman Figure Full Specs & P

It still looks no more like Hathaway than with smaller Irises. What it does do is give the face a more puppy/doe look, just like the eyes on some manga/anime character designs. That does not make up for the missing "mousy" in the sculpt which is the strongest thing about Hathaway's visage.

Knock yourselves out with an eye repaint when you get the figure in hand. Mine will stay stock, well futzed and dramatically lit, with enough highlights and shadow details to sell the likeness.

Just for comparison:

img:6907298bb78a0a36069388fb5f3341bc-type:big

Source: https://www.heyzap.com/feed_item/320228897

I know it's about opinions, but this:

995697_10151619174691051_446688905_n_zpsc820f8f5.jpg

looks a lot more like Hathaway to me than this:

9288368267_2f79f202b3_b.jpg

Even though I said I like this shot and will probaly pose her like that,
I'm quite sure I'll let her eyes be repainted and will extend the neck myself.

It's obviously a lot about the correct lighting, too but a lot of light would probably overexpose many details, as seen on many of the previous pics.

Last edited:

I knew the neck was messed up. It looked like she had no neck. Those pictures proves it

Well, lets not call it a repaint. More like, applying make up in her case. Eye shadow, fuller mascara.

What?

Why are you looking at me like that??

Again, it's also that annoying lighting all the blogs and magazines use... just isn't flattering to any face.

This photo shows that the actual figure has a fair amount of eye make up. This is stock:

1005624_490975334310338_1263041059_n.jpg

That custom is pretty freaking sweet. Spot on likeness.

995697_10151619174691051_446688905_n.jpg

1001695_10151619174761051_889285973_n.jpg

AE has her listed as coming within 30 days so doesn't look like there will be any delays on getting her soon despite SDCC.

The eye shadow is more subtle on the stock head. This repaint goes beyond just making it stand out more, but he repainted the pupils, enlarging them, thus, giving it more "life" if you will.

Either way, stock; looks fantastic. Repainted; gat dang!that looks real!

Finally. The eyes are totally irrelevant, it's probably a quick select and transform in Photoshop on the iris. They do look good, but unrealistic.

It still looks no more like Hathaway than with smaller Irises. What it does do is give the face a more puppy/doe look, just like the eyes on some manga/anime character designs. .

I couldn't disagree more. Really, I couldn't. With the original eyes, I can't see Anne Hathaway there, which is something that happens to me a lot with Hot Toys due to them using too small irises. I don't know why they keep doing that.

With the 'new eyes', though, whether a repaint or Photoshop, she is Anne Hathaway to me. Yeah, the neck helps, but it's all in the eyes. She does have puppy/doe eyes in real life. Therefore, the likeness is much, much, better.

Just for comparison:

img:6907298bb78a0a36069388fb5f3341bc-type:big

Source: https://www.heyzap.com/feed_item/320228897

I know it's about opinions, but this:

995697_10151619174691051_446688905_n_zpsc820f8f5.jpg

looks a lot more like Hathaway to me than this:

9288368267_2f79f202b3_b.jpg

Even though I said I like this shot and will probaly pose her like that,
I'm quite sure I'll let her eyes be repainted and will extend the neck myself.

It's obviously a lot about the correct lighting, too but a lot of light would probably overexpose many details, as seen on many of the previous pics.
That looks a TON better.

Raising the head on the neck post like that improves the likeness too, yeah.

It's a shame there's a gap there now.. although I'm sure that can be remedied.

Last edited:

Why is it so necessary for anyone to try to convince others the way they think is right when it comes to looks? Someone said it eariler, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its too unrealistic to think all of us will see the same thing. There is no right or wrong. Just different points of view.

Hot Toys biggest problem has never been eyes, and the same is true for this figure. It looks BETTER, but it doesn't look more like Hathaway. Hey, not everyone has an eye for faces, most people can't even express what's missing from the original nor what the bigger eyes change. Never mind that a lot of the "convincing" from the modified photo comes from the grain, blur and lighting. But, like always a voice of reason is like talking into the wind. Or a wall. Not sure why I'm even reading this thread anymore actually. Seems like every thread has these periods at different points in a figure's schedule.

If you like the changes, that's great. I like the bigger eyes as well, I just don't think they help sell the likeness and don't do anything for realism. There's even more that can be done to improve the likeness of course. A full repaint would get most of the way there. Thank god this figure doesn't have removable mouth/chin pieces or we'd never hear the end of it. ;)

Last edited:

Is the same head sculpt and paint job just softer lighting and the neck mod is just on the money, makes her face look thiner just a great mod, maybe fill the gap with sculpey, I will try it as soon as I get the figure :yess:

Wow, I have to completely disagree with you. Anne in fact does have of a "doe" look already, so yes - the repaint does look more like her. I agree that she has a "mousy" kind of look too - but the HT face sculpt does not capture that at all.

Last edited:

Hot Toys biggest problem has never been eyes, and the same is true for this figure. It looks BETTER, but it doesn't look more like Hathaway. Hey, not everyone has an eye for faces, most people can't even express what's missing from the original nor what the bigger eyes change. Never mind that a lot of the "convincing" from the modified photo comes from the grain, blur and lighting. But, like always a voice of reason is like talking into the wind. Or a wall. Not sure why I'm even reading this thread anymore actually. Seems like every thread has these periods at different points in a figure's schedule.

If you like the changes, that's great. There's even more that can be done to improve the realism. A full repaint would get most of the way there. Thank god this figure doesn't have removable mouth/chin pieces or we'd never hear the end of it. ;)

But if you're considering yourself "the voice of reason", thats exactly what my point was. Just because others don't see things the way you do, doesn't mean you are more right and they are more wrong. If you're calling yourself the voice of reason, you are clearly considering your point of view as right and opposing views wrong. This isn't science. Its opinion based. :dunno

ok, so I just did a quick retouch to the iris. I've attached a side by side. It's not perfect but it does make a difference. I just wish I had the guts to paint the real thing when in hand.

Hot Toys biggest problem has never been eyes, and the same is true for this figure. It looks BETTER, but it doesn't look more like Hathaway.

How can it look better if it's not because it looks more like Hathaway? In case your answer is "because it looks more lifelike", that would go against what you said that she now looks more manga-like.

Hey, not everyone has an eye for faces, most people can't even express what's missing from the original nor what the bigger eyes change. Never mind that a lot of the "convincing" from the modified photo comes from the grain, blur and lighting. But, like always a voice of reason is like talking into the wind. Or a wall. Not sure why I'm even reading this thread anymore actually. Seems like every thread has these periods at different points in a figure's schedule.

Lol, you're so full of it it's not even worth it.

But if you're considering yourself "the voice of reason",

No, not what I meant. Any voice of reason, any thoughtful or logical discussion by anyone (there are plenty of people here) gets immediately steam-rolled in a wave of hysteria and wishy-washy proclamations. "I'm canceling this POS" - "Never mind, it looks great!" - "knock-off!" etc.

Show that sculpt/face (not the costume) to someone who doesn't know anything about this figure and ask them who it is. Most of us can't or won't look at sculpts that way unfortunately - which colors perception. Most people can't even get over different lighting and camera qualities when comparing images, so I guess asking for anything else is kind of moot.

How can it look better if it's not because it looks more like Hathaway?

Seriously? I can't believe I'm replying to this. Because it's more friendly, more doe-like, more pleasing, less stare, less blank, softer. It could make the sculpt look like Woopie Goldberg and still be called "better." What I didn't say is that it's a better likeness.

ok, so I just did a quick retouch to the iris.

This is a much more representative edit - more apples to apples if you will. Go back to it and make the Irises even bigger if you can spare a few moments. Anyone should be able to see the difference, but at the same time recognize it's not the same as the cell-phone picture/edit posted previously.

Last edited:
Back