1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Here are some on-the-shelf stand pictures - capturing the full dynamic range is problematic, especially with the iPhone camera, so just imagine being able to see both the background and subtly list crystals at the same time. Shown below in two images. :)

And this is how power is delivered to the base - directly from the Ikea Detolf support rails (positive rail shown below). When I finish the display, the wires will be toward the back of the shelf and won't be visible.

Parts list:

8x 5mm white LED 12v PRE-WIRED (this means they come with a resistor and connections to wire already covered in heat-shrink.)

Some extra wire

OPTIONAL: Switch, battery holder or DC jack and wall transformer.

TOOLS:

Soldering iron and solder (or a bunch of small wire nuts if you don't want to solder)

X-Acto knife or similar

Small flat pry bar/scraper or similar

Drill or dremel with at least 6 mm or equivalent bit

Hot glue gun

Quick instructions:

Using X-acto cut around the seam of the bottom plate under the base - be VERY careful when doing this so that the knife doesn't slip and cut into the top portion of the base or worse, your hand(s) or body.

Find a point where you can insert your flat pry bar and check to see if you can start prying the base cover plate off. You will go around the entire base popping the remaining bits of glue - BE PATIENT or you will definitely crack the base plate.

Once the base plate is off you have a few options. The first is to just drill some holes through where the crystals will be mounted, the second (what I did) is to cut away the bottom of each cavity completely. This way when the crystals are mounted I can see their bottoms from the underside of the base - it gives you a little more room inside too. The third, which I might do if I ever do this to another stand, is to first attach and glue the crystals in place and then drill the holder through the bottom of the base and into the crystals.

If you have done either of the first two, you will also need to drill holes up into the crystals for the LEDs. If you have a STEPPER BIT or other conical or graduated bit, use it. A regular drill bit will have a tendency to cause the crystals to crack or come apart as you're drilling. You can of course also melt a hole through the bottom, but that can get stinky.

*** If you'll be mounting a switch now is a good time to figure out where on the base you'll place it. Drill or cut a hole for it now. Any simple and small toggle switch (SPDT) will work.

If you'll be providing power externally from a jack, figure out where you want the jack mounted and drill a hole for that too.

OPTIONAL (but suggested): Now test fit the crystals to make sure you can seat them completely and firmly into the stand. If you can't you will next be doing the boiling water bath for the base to make sure it's pliable enough to fit the crystals. You can now glue the crystals in place. I used a nice white glue called WELDBOND. The beauty is that it's somewhat quick drying, has decent hold even on these materials, but can easily be broken back out and cleaned if I ever need to take it apart. I let the glued parts dry over night to make sure they didn't come loose while I worked on installing the lighting.

While waiting for the glue to dry you can prewire the LEDS. Basically you're going to wire everything in parallel. That means solder together the positive (anode) side of all the LEDs together and all the negative (cathode). You will also solder a length of extra wire to each. Here's how I did it... 4 LEDs at a time. Strip 1/2" of the red wire and 1/2" of the black. Twist together tightly the 4 reds and then the 4 blacks. On the other set of four, also include your extra wires (this is where you'll connect power/switch). Now tin (cover in solder) each of the twisted sets of wires. After that you can slip some heat shrink over one set of red and one set of black. Now join the two red bundles together by touching them together and then melting the solder with your iron. You will point each bundle in opposite direction when doing this so that you can then slip the heat shrink over the solder joint. You can see it at the bottom of my second picture.

STOP and TEST.

Connect your loose wire ends to 12v power (9V battery will work too) to make sure all LEDs light up.

*** If you're mounting a switch, you can now solder up the connections to the switch and power jack or battery connector. You can power this with a 9V battery if you want, but I haven't test-fitted one to see where to best place it.

One end of your LED free wire to the switch, and the other to your power jack or battery connector. Then a new piece of wire between your power jack or battery connector and the other end of the switch. The switch can be on either side of the battery, just make sure you don't screw up the polarity to the LEDs.

If you're not using a switch and using only a power jack, just wire that up to both wires from the LEDS - again, make sure polarity is correct - this depends on the power supply you're using. Most will come center pin positive.

On my version I just have wires coming out the the base because my Detolf is electrified and I just need to touch the wires to each metal rail for power. Yes, it's slick. :) The whole setup (the whole room's shelving) is controlled by two master switches.

After the glue sets up you're ready to start mounting the hardware in the base.

POWER AND LIGHT the LEDs before you start mounting them. This is so you can position them and see how the light shines within the crystals as you glue them in place. A small dab of hot glue to hold things and then some more to keep everything in its place permanently.

That's really all there is to it. When finished route the wires around a bit and test fit the bottom plate. If everything fits well put a few dabs of glue and seal it up. With only a few dabs it makes it each to open back up again.
I'm sure this is all very useful and it was very very nice of you to post how to do it but for people who have no experience in this kind of stuff, LIKE ME LOL, it's all just greek. :dunno :thud: :( :lol

It's a shame HTs didn't just go ahead and add the lights to the thing themselves. It would be well worth the extra money and make life alot easier for people like me. LOL :lol

Last edited:

The wiring and "circuit" related aspects were honestly the easiest part of the whole pie. Most difficult, and what required the most patience was opening the base to begin with and the hot glue application to hold the LEDs in place. It's the main reason I wouldn't simply volunteer to pre-wire a bunch of sets for other people to do their own installs. Apart from the opening and glueing, if you don't aim the LEDs correctly you'll end up with a result that doesn't look very good as the light doesn't just magically travel up the crystals. ;)

I was thinking of going with the 10mm clear water "white" LEDs.

You think that is overkill?

Man I wish I knew how to light the crystal base but I'm clueless when it comes to circuitry and what not :lol

Well done Pixelpiper.
Did you add a switch on yours?
I hid mine on the right hand side of the base.

IMG_2746_zpsf6dca73b.jpg~original

Where did you get your switch from? I think I'm going to do this, and I really want the ability to switch off and on.

I was thinking of going with the 10mm clear water "white" LEDs.

You think that is overkill?

It might work, but I didn't buy any 10mm because they're not as versatile as the 5mm, especially when it comes to scale lighting. ;) You'll have to make bigger holes and in some cases the bottom of the crystal is probably only 10mm or 11mm itself.

It might work, but I didn't buy any 10mm because they're not as versatile as the 5mm, especially when it comes to scale lighting. ;) You'll have to make bigger holes and in some cases the bottom of the crystal is probably only 10mm or 11mm itself.

Gotcha. I will buy the 5mm then. As they are cheap for set of 10 on EB.

Where did you get your switch from? I think I'm going to do this, and I really want the ability to switch off and on.

I plundered it from a fluorescent tube fitting.
But i have seen them used in other DIY projects. I could have a look and see if they are available on the market.

I plundered it from a fluorescent tube fitting.
But i have seen them used in other DIY projects. I could have a look and see if they are available on the market.

This will be the first "modded" project for me. And while I'm capable when it comes to the electronics side of things, I'm still figuring out where to get all this stuff.

If you come across any places, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

LEDs on eBay. Switches, wire, battery connectors, DC jacks, etc.. Local electronics store, even Radio Shack if you're in the US. Online at places like Mouser, Farnell, etc..

Wow, those light up displays are gorgeous. One of these days, I might have to pick up a spare base on eBay and give it a go.

This will be the first "modded" project for me. And while I'm capable when it comes to the electronics side of things, I'm still figuring out where to get all this stuff.

If you come across any places, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Well i have a spare lying around here if you want it.
We use these fittings at work and at home. When they die on us, i strip them apart for pieces.
If you want this one, it's yours.

Just got this great figure to go with my 89 Batman and Joker. I have to say the likeness is awesome. Just awesome to have in the collection. I may have to do the light base feature as well. I am really in awe over this figure. Not sure which I really think has the best likeness though between this and 89 Batman. Both are so well detailed that I will be admiring them for many years.

Just got this great figure to go with my 89 Batman and Joker. I have to say the likeness is awesome. Just awesome to have in the collection. I may have to do the light base feature as well. I am really in awe over this figure. Not sure which I really think has the best likeness though between this and 89 Batman. Both are so well detailed that I will be admiring them for many years.

Congrats... You have what I believe are Hot Toys' 3 finest efforts right there! :duff

Those are 3 that will never leave my collection.

Sallah

Congrats... You have what I believe are Hot Toys' 3 finest efforts right there! :duff

Those are 3 that will never leave my collection.

Sallah

:exactly: I have to agree with you there. They are really great and I won't let them go either. Most of my collection I wouldn't part with but these are extraordinary. I was shocked at the blue on Superman's suit. It really pops in a eye catching way.

Well I went to Ollie's yesterday and picked up a Mattel General Zod for $30. It's not HT but for $30 it's not a bad little figure. I like the fact that it comes with it's own display case, That makes life a little easier. LOL

Although I must say that in my opinion the Mego 12" General Zod head sculpt looks more like Zod than Mattel's, But that's my opinion. :D

Got my superman in with Thor at moment, he really needs a hot toys Man of Steel to keep him company instead!!!! :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Back