1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

The "blame the lighting" is the lamest and most abused excuse. That figure has some Chris Reeve likeness, yes, but it doesn't take a genius to see there's a whole lot of tweaking to get it to LOOK NEAR EXACT LIKE Chris Reeve! It took most of you thousands of posts to even marginally admit a fact a handful of us here have been saying from Day One, that that figure is no way an accurate depiction or likeness of Chris Reeve, but you still declare it as "Wow" or "the best HT can do" or "I'm buying this ultimate figure" or "it's 100% Chris Reeve".

Wake up and smell the coffee... or maybe your delusions are so far up your nostrils you can't smell anything anymore...

Y U Mad, Bro?

968126fc-e277-40a3-a73d-e73fd4374709.gif

Now THAT should be a WOW!

Y U Mad, Bro?

Sorry bro, not mad. Just reiterating what a handful of us here had been saying all along, is all. Sorry if I came out too strong.

Probably more a reflection of the disappointment as to why HT didn't really see the resemblance (or non-resemblance).

The "blame the lighting" is the lamest and most abused excuse. That figure has some Chris Reeve likeness, yes, but it doesn't take a genius to see there's a whole lot of tweaking to get it to LOOK NEAR EXACT LIKE Chris Reeve! It took most of you thousands of posts to even marginally admit a fact a handful of us here have been saying from Day One, that that figure is no way an accurate depiction or likeness of Chris Reeve, but you still declare it as "Wow" or "the best HT can do" or "I'm buying this ultimate figure" or "it's 100% Chris Reeve".

Wake up and smell the coffee... or maybe your delusions are so far up your nostrils you can't smell anything anymore...

I am buying this because of the wait, but as Cinemaquette did and now Hot Toys, it makes you wonder.... the only solution to this problem is to find a custom work that reaches the level of at least 90% of likeness and just go for it no matter the cost, ill bet most people here will buy (those who can) the 1/6th Chris Reeve Bobby C is going to make in the near future.
My point of view in the Chris Reeve likeness:

1. DC Direct 2 statues:
- 35-40% likeness
2. Cinemaquette Supes:
- 65-70% likeness
3. Supes Matty
- 20% likeness
4. Hot Toys Supes
- 75-80% likeness

At the end the best investment for a Chris Reeve product is the Hot Toys....... if the they do some correction it could end up being the best out there!

968126fc-e277-40a3-a73d-e73fd4374709.gif

Sorry bro, not mad. Just reiterating what a handful of us here had been saying all along, is all. Sorry if I came out too strong.

Probably more a reflection of the disappointment as to why HT didn't really see the resemblance (or non-resemblance).

You didn't came out too strong. It's just that some people here will trow a hissy fit if you don't get on your knees and bow to Hot Toys! Personally I agree with you. When I first saw it I was like "meh, doesn't really look like him" but didn't want to get much into it because of the hive mind. That changed after I saw the picture with alterations. I mean, you look at that and you see Christopher Reeve! It's him damn it!

I'm on the same boat as you. I'm surprised HT can't pull off a figure that looks like that (despite of what excuses the apologists in this forum make up to defend Hot Toys).

it's the actual HT Superman and a corrected version on photoshop

certainly makes a difference

but when you you look at some fo the other proto pics, the neck looks better and wider than it does on this pic here

i agree though, the corrected version would be amazing

The direction this thread has turned is a real shame. That photoshop, while good, doesn't even look like something Hot Toys would create. You know what it looks like? Like someone made a layer with the original pic, made another layer using an actual Christopher Reeve photo and BLENDED THE ____ING THING.

How creative.

That's like, the least flattering pic, there are several that show off just how great this sculpt is (I'm not posting them. Those great "film still" night time pics are perfect). Then there's the fact that in hand is always better than these proto pics you see. But nope, still not enough for some people.

My enthusiasm has dipped. I hope Hot Toys just comes out and makes announcement like, "____ you guys, we're done. No Superman, the hell with it". Better yet, I hope they "tweak" it and ____ it up so it looks worse.

It's just so damn annoying. Like alot of people, I've had my fair share of criticisms, like Indiana Jones. But here, we have a great sculpt, better than what most expected and it's still not enough. It's a wonder some of you even let yourselves "enjoy" a hobby such as collecting with your ____ being so tight and all.

Last edited:

I think this figure does capture the look of Reeve whether people want to argure how much.

When I saw the pics for Indy, I was disappointed and never ordered him. When I saw the pics for this figure, I ran over to the site and Pre-Ordered one. That's the difference in how this figure struck me compared to how Indy did.

I always am up for corrections, but this one got it right enough to me to make me want one.

I just had a guy on Facebook pretty upset with me, because I am defending the figure, and things got personal.
Thing is I love how this figure looks, but I have other stuff, like my Dad having a major operation after his heart attack, rather than get into major arguments with people over a figure. I don't think I will comment on it any more. I will say this though. This film holds a lot of good memories for me, it's one of the films my Dad took me to see back in the 70's, and he even got me into Superman by buying me the comics, and dressing my bedroom in Superman wallpaper. I guess that's why I am so passionate about it.

Best wishes to your dad Dino. I agree that it's not worth it to argue over a stupid toy but some people have no life. Personaly I hardly post anymore on these boards because the level of retardedness has hit a new high. It's always easy to be a keyboard warrior in the anonimity of your own home (or trailer), but some of the stuff said around here sometimes leaves me shaking my head.

The direction this thread has turned is a real shame. That photoshop, while good, doesn't even look like something Hot Toys would create. You know what it looks like? Like someone made a layer with the original pic, made another layer using an actual Christopher Reeve photo and BLENDED THE ____ING THING.

How creative.

That's like, the least flattering pic, there are several that show off just how great this sculpt is (I'm not posting them. Those great "film still" night time pics are perfect). Then there's the fact that in hand is always better than these proto pics you see. But nope, still not enough for some people.

My enthusiasm has dipped. I hope Hot Toys just comes out and makes announcement like, "____ you guys, we're done. No Superman, the hell with it". Better yet, I hope they "tweak" it and ____ it up so it looks worse.

It's just so damn annoying. Like alot of people, I've had my fair share of criticisms, like Indiana Jones. But here, we have a great sculpt, better than what most expected and it's still not enough. It's a wonder some of you even let yourselves "enjoy" a hobby such as collecting with your ____ being so tight and all.

:goodpost:

How creative.

:goodpost::clap Couldn't of said it better myself !

:slap :cuckoo:

It's just so damn annoying.

The only complainers here are the people defending the picture. The rest is like" Wow, that looks better... wouldn't it be nice if it actually looked like that? Oh well, still pre-ordered though."

Geez, give it a rest guys. Some people don't like it... their entitled to an opinion too you know.

I remember Underroos. I loved those. :monkey2

Precisely.

Only in HT's land do records continue to scratch.

Consider how manipulative that PS is. We don't even know if the PS'er added features from an actual Reeve photo. Plus don't forget how weird Toy Hunter photos always look in the beginning. The lighting also plays a big part. Dutch and T2 T-800 come to mind. In the official specs some angles looked spot on ................ its all how you photograph things. We all know HT's aren't photogenic imo.

What did you expect him to say? Its bad enough he's to contend with all of you gremlins he also has to comment like its a requirement. To be honest I feel sorry for the guy (knowing how HT's releases their products)

I've been collecting HT's for almost 5 years now and not once did they release a prototype that looked identical come release time. Then you get the nerds that say "Well because of our complaining they listened and changed it" Yeah I know, the mighty HT's needs a few whining nerds to help run their company into perfection. That small missing ingredient. :rolleyes2

This thread was fun.

I didnt say "he didnt say much" to be taken as a negative. I was just pointing out to the previous poster who asked me to post a link that there wasnt that much to see is all. I couldnt care less if he posted a comment or not, but its nice too see that he did.

I think a lot of people on here need to chill out. The current sculpt is very very good. Could it be improved ? yes sure it could. Can we please stop this bashing of people that like the sculpt and people that dont. Respect one another's opinion.

In regards to Hot Toys getting annoyed at the criticism. At the end of the day "we" the collectors/fans are paying extreme amounts of cash for these, and have every right to suggest improvements. Some people on here are acting like HT are doing us all a favor, the reality is that its a business and they are set to make a lot of money especially with a license like Superman.

How creative.

I tend to agree. It's rather easy for anyone to sit back with some photoshop knowledge and play around with likenesses on a sculpt. It is quite a different thing to actually tweak an overall likeness and have everything click as it should in 3D. It is even more easy for some to then say "Damn you HT, this could have been PERFECTION....you suck so much for not doing it like the picture above....look at the picture HT!!! I posted it in facebook....I did part of the job for you already!!! I love Superman!!! FIX IT PLEASE!!!!".

As it stands this Superman is a great figure with the obvious room for improvement that exists in ALL products released. I think some people need to step back to get some perspective from their quest for perfection. I am not talking about settling for subpar crap, but being grateful that when something like this thing is being made at all with the quality already advertised in the solicitation you still recognize when something is really, really good with some awe/humility for the hobby. As I read many of these threads the impression I get is that the criticism overshadows the initial praise after the initial replies. It's like "It's great and we like it, right? now let's be junior HT art directors and fix this thing!!! we're paying $210 so we are entitled!!!"

:slap

Back