1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

£12 for the lights and an hour's worth of labour.

It looks great, one of the best/cleanest mods I've seen of this base. Do you happen to have any pictures of what the base looks like once taken apart before you put the LEDs in?

It looks great, one of the best/cleanest mods I've seen of this base. Do you happen to have any pictures of what the base looks like once taken apart before you put the LEDs in?

Actually, i *normally* take loads of how-to images, but i didn't today. I was bashing on to get it done fast. Sorry!
It's hollow vinyl for the most part, with an injected-plastic base on the bottom which has moulded on pegs to keep the base in shape(I dremelled them off, as the lighting cables fill up all the space left under there now).
I used a hot glue gun to hold all the LEDS in place after drilling two holes apiece at the base of each crystal(It was a 10-piece LED set and there are five crystals).
Afterwards, i cut a hole for the 9V battery to be removed from and hot-glued the rest of the base plate back on. I can remove the battery but will need to peel off the base plate if anything else goes wrong.
If that ever happened, the lighting can be simply removed and replaced.

I'm planning to wire mine up to the metal rails of a Detolf which will be carrying the power in my displays. I had originally planned to use a few pieces of LED strip, but I've recently acquired a lot of 5mm LEDs and will use those instead. It might be a good idea to pick up an extra base. :) If I can find one that isn't a complete rip-off (eg.ebay)

Last edited:

Yes I will put some pics up of my Jor El when I get him, and maybe do a short little video review.

Yes I will put some pics up of my Jor El when I get him, and maybe do a short little video review.

Excellent. I am looking forward to that review.

I'm planning to wire mine up to the metal rails of a Detolf which will be carrying the power in my displays. I had originally planned to use a few pieces of LED strip, but I've recently acquired a lot of 5mm LEDs and will use those instead. It might be a good idea to pick up an extra base. :)

Well i started off by boiling the kettle and filling a large stewing bowl with boiling water and putting the base in. Give it five minutes and remove. The sculpted vinyl part of the base should practically *peel off* the base plate.
If not, refresh the boiled water and leave it for another few minutes. A flat butter knife can be used to prise the base plate away to get a hand hold and once you get started it will be just the work of moments to get it all peeled off.
When it's off, you will get a feel for the space in there that you have to work with and how much of the plastic pegs on the base plate you will have to remove.

Thanks for the tips, the boiling water method is definitely going to save me a lot of frustration.

Thanks for the tips, the boiling water method is definitely going to save me a lot of frustration.

Totally. It's the only way to do it.
Also, once you have it apart, dip it in the water again and test fit the crystals. When they are all in place perfectly, sit it all in the kitchen sink and run cold water over it for a minute or so.
That will seal the crystal "holes" to the correct shape to accept the crystals. As it comes, the base holes are slightly too small and the crystals are hard to fit otherwise.
After I did this, I drilled the pilot holes for the LEDs.
And when I had cleaned up the swarf from that, I got glued the crystals in place.

Lol. when i sent a couple of pics from my iPhone to my Brother(Who is the biggest Superman fan i know, see vid below for a quick look at his collection), he said the same thing about the lights...
The total cost of parts was $32 for the base($20 plus $12 shipping from Indonesia), £12 for the lights and an hour's worth of labour. It was quite easy, to be honest.

Man of steel is a must for me. I love the look. I'll get one boxed, one to keep and maybe one or two loose from the trading post from the people who part figures out.
Here's a very brief look at my Brother's Superman collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX57hAxx0eM

And in case anyone wants to see his individual reviews, he has a Youtube channel dedicated to Superman figure reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stewmurray47/videos?view=0

Sweet. Be sure and post pics. I have considered getting Jor El, but always stop short of picking one up.
I suppose theoretically, he could be displayed with either Reeve, OR Routh.

Holy Blue & Red Outfits Batman! What a SUPER Collection!!! :rock

Holy Blue & Red Outfits Batman! What a SUPER Collection!!! :rock

Lol. tell me about it.
I am forever ribbing him about it.
He is in the middle of doing a complete collection review for his youtube channel. He is about halfway done through the voiceover before he rolls any video.
I also made him a custom SuperLad figure over the last few days. He will be posting a review of that shortly too.
He is just ever so slightly obsessed. Like us all, i suppose(Where we differ is in *what* we are obsessed about...).

Lol. tell me about it.
I am forever ribbing him about it.
He is in the middle of doing a complete collection review for his youtube channel. He is about halfway done through the voiceover before he rolls any video.
I also made him a custom SuperLad figure over the last few days. He will be posting a review of that shortly too.
He is just ever so slightly obsessed. Like us all, i suppose(Where we differ is in *what* we are obsessed about...).

That is so very true too. For me, its the Hulk and the Avengers!

Agreed. For me also, its a fun hobby too. :hi5:

For all of us.
My problem is that i can't see these figures without wanting to put them in a 1/6 craft or environment. Which inevitably means that i shall have to build that environment or craft...

Just got this from Ryno, sorry for the poor pic
D9wvBkF.jpg

Heres a wip paint up of a sosa sculpt.
I love it and prefer it to the original tbh.

I know the paint will not match up with hot toys aps, but the sculpt is a much better likeness.
100_8307_zps0045a9a3.jpg

100_8305_zpsee6abeae.jpg

100_8297_zps042db684.jpg

100_8294_zps58a819cc.jpg

Back