1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

What I don't get is people having issues with the sculpt & yet still buying it. Especially with a hobby that eats discretionary income; if you don't think something looks like what you want don't buy it. I want a Robocop with a Peter Weller HS. How many have been released with that HS....1, made in 1989. How many Robocop's do I own....0, because the quality doesn't match what I want.

My point is if you're saying it doesn't meet your expectation, why are you still buying it? Hold yourself to your own high standard before criticizing a purchase you deem less than.

:exactly::exactly:
Yah 25% is like Medicom Bruce Wayne level, and theres no way this HT Reeves is even close to that. Personally i think its around 80-85% which to me tops as one of the better head sculpts I think HT has done for a human head. The only sculpted head I have ever seen that very close to 100% perfect is BobbyC's Heath Joker. As far as HT's, their 89 Joker might be their best achievement right now as far as human heads.

T1 Arnold

Barnes

Sweeney Todd

Barney Ross

..all wayyyy better sculpts then this reeve superman imo.

I would be equally, if not more concerned for those that think this is a perfect likeness. Not only are they optically challenged, but their sensory feedback is creating an image psychologically that doesn't exist and telling themselves it's true.

I find myself urgently concerned for those that delude themselves into believing they tell others who believe they are right when not only are they optically challenged, but their sensory feedback is creating an image psychologically that doesn't exist and telling themselves it's true.

:exactly:

What I don't get is people having issues with the sculpt & yet still buying it. Especially with a hobby that eats discretionary income; if you don't think something looks like what you want don't buy it. I want a Robocop with a Peter Weller HS. How many have been released with that HS....1, made in 1989. How many Robocop's do I own....0, because the quality doesn't match what I want.

My point is if you're saying it doesn't meet your expectation, why are you still buying it? Hold yourself to your own high standard before criticizing a purchase you deem less than.

This may be the only reeve superman we ever get?:dunno ..i'd be a fool to let this one go because i was not fully sold on the headsculpt:slap..besides 9 times out of 10 hot toys improve upon there prototype so i have faith in hot toys that this sculpt will be improved further.

Has anybody who has seen it in person been critical of the sculpt's likeness to Reeve?

A member here (and a good friend of mine out side of the is board) Jedster saw this at comic-con and said it's pretty dang spot on Christopher Reeve. A few other friends of mine that saw this at comic con have said the same thing.

Of course it's this person's opinion over that person's so I don't see how asking someone who's seen it in person will change someone else's view. 9 times out of 10 that same person who doesn't think the likeness is there will still say something along the lines of "well I'll just have to see it in person myself" b/c said person will not believe how good something is regardless of what others say if they are so bent on it not looking how they want it to look

I'm buying it because I'm willing to put money on the fact that a custom head will come along which I'll be much happier with so I'll need the figure for that - and if for whatever reason that doesn't happen I know I can sell the figure and at least recoup my expenditure - makes sense to me to do this rather than pay secondary prices for him later if a better custom head does come along and i don't have the figure

I'm buying it because I'm willing to put money on the fact that a custom head will come along which I'll be much happier with so I'll need the figure for that - and if for whatever reason that doesn't happen I know I can sell the figure and at least recoup my expenditure - makes sense to me to do this rather than pay secondary prices for him later if a better custom head does come along and i don't have the figure

:exactly::goodpost:

I'm buying it because I'm willing to put money on the fact that a custom head will come along which I'll be much happier with so I'll need the figure for that

i.e void hopes Adam will make a Reeve sculpt after he's done doing the entire cast from TDK and BB

:D

Hey whatever you need to justify your purchases. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy something you've already deemed as being less than what was your minimum expectation with the plan to spend more later. I unfortunately don't feel that things should be bought with the idea of paying more to improve upon it. Unless it's something like housing where the cost of fixing it yourself is cheaper, It's just bad financial sense. If you can't buy something without bringing in someone else to improve it then it's not worth it.

No offense to anyone, just my opinion.

Hey whatever you need to justify your purchases. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy something you've already deemed as being less than what was your minimum expectation with the plan to spend more later. I unfortunately don't feel that things should be bought with the idea of paying more to improve upon it. Unless it's something like housing where the cost of fixing it yourself is cheaper, It's just bad financial sense. If you can't buy something without bringing in someone else to improve it then it's not worth it.

Yeah that's perfectly fine - you and 90-95% of other collectors will have that opinion and approach

I am well aware that I'm in the minority

I'm buying it because *smack* *slurp* *lick* *nibble* *smack* *smack* *slurp* *lick* *nibble* *smack* - and if for whatever reason that doesn't happen I know I can sell the figure and at least recoup my expenditure - makes sense to me to do this rather than pay secondary prices for him later if *smack* *slurp* *lick* *nibble* *smack*

...:dunno :nana:

them be dangerous words 'round these parts. that's exactly what ppl do here especially in the DC Section :lol

I'm somewhat guilty of this as well though. I like fixing up figures I think are bad. Though I don't pay someone else to do it for me. I've fixed up all my SS 1/6 LOTR figs. Still in the process of fixing up my SS 1/6 SW figures and purposefully bought the original medicom Jack Sparrow with the intention of fixing it up, putting it on a better body and have better clothes. I bought the figure, but made just about everything else. it's fun for me, but again, I do these things myself. but i don't personally like displaying customs so they usually get sold as whole or broken down for parts and sold like that :lol

I never knew why they feel so compelled that they need to share it with us for their reassurance. It's like they need approval.

It's like the behaviour of Facebook and Twitter.

You don't see people saying on forums "right I'm away to buy a tv, console or figure. Is it ok with you?". Just do it and be done with it. Don't keep grinding away day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year with your insecure reassurances.

Yet at the same time here is another official thread turned into a custom discussion from the same crowd. Always.

Id say 70% for the HT Chris Reeve likeness, he is there somehow but it could have been done better. With great sculpts like Jack S. Joker 1989, Bale new Bats Begins, it shows you the possibilities, thats what i been saying the whole time here, still i will buy the damn thing, but we can expect later next year a Supes/Clark DX figure, and if the cost are around 300 i will pay it no matter what.

I would say Reeve is there about 85-90%. But that's just me. :dunno

Id say 70% for the HT Chris Reeve likeness, he is there somehow but it could have been done better. With great sculpts like Jack S. Joker 1989, Bale new Bats Begins, it shows you the possibilities, thats what i been saying the whole time here, still i will buy the damn thing, but we can expect later next year a Supes/Clark DX figure, and if the cost are around 300 i will pay it no matter what.

Yet you were one of the big whiners demanding pictures and when you get them you're still unhappy.

i.e void hopes Adam will make a Reeve sculpt after he's done doing the entire cast from TDK and BB

:D

Naw, he will just redo the Batman movie sculpts again cause that is the only thing that sells.

Has anybody who has seen it in person been critical of the sculpt's likeness to Reeve?

I don't know, but I'm sure not. They made him with the eyes looking up so they would be looking pretty much forward in a flying pose, for what I can only imagine is that reason, Hot Toys has constantly been posing the figure with it's head slightly down. The official pic (and a lot of unofficial ones) that were taken head on show the face down at a slight angle, distorting it some. At Comic Con, I looked at this guy nose to nose, and he looks just like Christopher Reeve to me. IMO the headsculpt is at least as good as either T-800, Sweeney Todd, or the DX Jack Sparrow.
I'm not going to convert anybody with this photo, I'm sure. I'm not press, so I didn't bring a professional camera, and I couldn't get a close-up photo without the glass, but I still feel like this pic does a better job showing what how his face actually looks than Hot Toys' offical photos or most of the other photos going around the net.
DSC05286.jpg

I'm not going to hold it against anybody if they keep criticizing this thing because they don't see what I saw...again, I'll be the first to admit this pic could be a lot better.

Back